Early retirement for media phrases?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
Any media phrases you have gotten totally tired of hearing and would prefer to see retired?

The one I'd like to see disappear is "... at the end of the day..."

"new normal" (The most dangerous words on Wall St. are This time it's different.)

"it's a stock-picker's market" (It's never a stock-picker's market.)

"high-quality dividend-paying stocks" (It's extremely hard to determine the "quality" of a stock, and even if you could, that quality has already been priced in by people with better information than you.)

"the lost decade" (It wasn't lost if you invested passively throughout the decade.)

"catalyst" (For 15 yrs Maria Bartiromo has been beating this word to death. Enough!)

Not that I think about this stuff much. :)

_________ is the new_________. Fill in what ever is trendy these days.

These are all good ones. Guess I might want to think about flipping the channel away from financial/political programs.

One other addition: beginning any sentence with "That said, ..." or "That being said, ..." seems to give me an urge to throw over-ripe fruit at the speaker/writer.

In keeping with the current reporting standards, I would just like to know I have made a major step forward in LBYM. I am now 'Investing' in ice cream, cake, computers, travel, and everything else, and have cut my spending to 0.

It's a story we will continue to track.... OR

We'll continue to follow this closely.

Of course, the media attention span is 10 seconds and they quickly move on with no intention of ever tracking the story closely. And what do we really care anyway.

Outraged.

Why are so many people feeling this way EVERY DAY?

And "gifted" as in "She gifted the bulk of her estate to the university"--isn't "gave" perfectly elegant on its own?

Duh

Whatever

Too funny

Text me

How's that work for you.

heh heh heh - :D :cool: Not just media. Ok ok so I broke down and got a 7 cents/min. prepaid cell. I hate instant access and 24/7 media. I recently renewed my library card - books no DVD's. :greetings10: Let me get back with you on that. :nonono:

"already baked in" refering mostly to news/events in a stock price or earnings but see it used poorly in other areas too

The one I'd like to see disappear is "... at the end of the day..."

Ha, I first heard that one was 30 some years ago while in a project meeting in the UK. I was pretty green and could not quite make sense of all the things we were going to get done by day's end.

It's not a phrase, but I get tired of all the articles listing simplistic answers to the retirement dilemma, like work longer, save more, etc.

Duh

Whatever

Too funny

Text me

How's that work for you.

heh heh heh - :D :cool: Not just media. Ok ok so I broke down and got a 7 cents/min. prepaid cell. I hate instant access and 24/7 media. I recently renewed my library card - books no DVD's. :greetings10: Let me get back with you on that. :nonono:
+1 on the 7 cent plan with the $9 phone!
My tiring phrase-"It is what it is"

All of the above, plus:

"Invite" for invitation - "Didn't get an invite to the royal wedding? You're not alone..."

"Install" for installation "Ready to do the install"

Amethyst

In keeping with the current reporting standards, I would just like to know I have made a major step forward in LBYM. I am now 'Investing' in ice cream, cake, computers, travel, and everything else, and have cut my spending to 0.

Yeah, the problem is just that too much of this stuff just goes to "waist", or is "depreciated" by morning...At least the travel is fun and the computer sticks around a little longer.

R

Duh

Whatever

Too funny

Text me

How's that work for you.

Hey...it's great to hear from you unclemick!....:greetings10:

Hey...it's great to hear from you unclemick!....:greetings10:

Thanks. No reason - just sort of got busy doing nothing in particular for a while and drifted away from posting.

heh heh heh - taking a break from remodeling, visiting, etc., etc. and checking back into the forum. :flowers: :greetings10:.

after all...being a champion cheap %(!#^(&$!! takes lots of time and earnestly applied effort!:flowers:

Thanks. No reason - just sort of got busy doing nothing in particular for a while and drifted away from posting.

heh heh heh - taking a break from remodeling, visiting, etc., etc. and checking back into the forum. :flowers: :greetings10:.

Those of us who are (relatively) new here have heard a lot of about you, UncleMick :). Welcome back.

Back
Top Bottom