Eldercare in an RV

.......I betcha people have gotten sick and/or perished on trains enough that they have a well rehearsed response to it, unlike trying to find the local hospital on a strange route for a casual driver....

A good friend of mine was on his way to California aboard Amtrak's Southwest Chief several years ago, and collapsed for no apparent reason. (He was traveling by himself on that trip) The car attendant found him, notified the conductor who got emergency medical care lined up...basically out in the middle of Nowhere, AZ. They got him to a hospital, where he was checked out and treated, and then recuperated for a couple of days.

At the end of his hospital stay, Amtrak arranged for transportation back to the nearest train station about 40 miles away, so he could continue on his trip. His insurance paid for the medical care and ambulance, and Amtrak paid the bill for transportation back to the train station.

Amtrak personnel are prepared for most anything.

I obviously don't know your mothers medical condition or if altitude is a factor, but I would think if you all pitched in and got her a first class airline ticket that would be much more comfortable and only take a few hours. Some airlines have those chairs that convert to beds in first class if she has to lay down.

I see your point, but I think she's pretty much past the ability to take public transportation. She is, and looks, so frail that no attendant in his/her right mind would allow her on a plane or train. If she were a little better, I'd favor the plane/train ideas.

Lots of interesting ideas, thanks.

In any case, sister 1 is buying the camper in a few days. It's a 1995.

mail

I suggested they rent one and go for a few day's trip, but she didn't go for that.

Sister 1, Sister 2, and Mom will drive to our house for a visit in July. Hopefully that will give them a taste of eldercare in an RV.

My family's antics are always amusing.

Suggest that they keep a journal. This escapade may well be fodder for family legend.

Great idea! I'll buy them a nice blank book for that.

Related to that, I've been editing and adding photographs to my Mom's memoirs. It's a good thing for her to work on when she feels like it, and we've had a good time going over things on the phone.

Well,they're off. They left this morning on a trip they expect to take seven days. Mom is doing quite well, physically, so the trip might just work.

Well,they're off. They left this morning on a trip they expect to take seven days. Mom is doing quite well, physically, so the trip might just work.
Should I be looking for their blog, or should I be worrying that they might start a blog?

Just kidding. Hope this goes well...

I suggested a blog, but they're not computer literate enough.

They already had a tire blow out today, on their first day.

Well, they made it. Took six days, with no problems other than the tire blow out.

Well, they made it. Took six days, with no problems other than the tire blow out.
Thank goodness. Every time this thread popped up I thought "Ruh-roh..."

So, how many longboards will the camper hold for your next safari?

Back
Top Bottom