Examples of current inflation - add yours!

Bought a small flashlight at the Dollar Tree for $1.25. Got it home and discovered it didn't include batteries. I'm sure it had batteries last year.

My auto insurance just went up another $320 for 6 months of insurance. That is after a $200 increase for the previous 6 months. So, another $1040 a year extra. Not long ago I was paying about $1000 a year.

When we were in DC earlier this week I bought a soft pretzel from a food truck. $8. I recall them being $5 or $6 2 or so years ago. But it was still large and delicious. :)

Mower battery at Lowes $55,last one I bought 4 years ago $22.
To Jollystomper when I was in first grade soft pretzels were one cent.

oldmike

I noticed prices of some things, broccoli, breads, etc, are decreasing at Walmart.

I noticed prices of some things, broccoli, breads, etc, are decreasing at Walmart.
The bread I buy there hasn't dropped at all. But the eggs were less (a little over $2 for doz. lg.) when I was in there a few days ago after having recently spiked prior visits.

Finally got a good deal at a different store on boneless pork for $1.98/lb sale, but they limited to 2 1/2 lb purchase. That's half the typical sale price of $4/lb. They actually advertised the sale as "lowest price in 6 years". I'm pretty sure they had it for $2/lb on sale about a year ago because I was thinking then that it was basically half the usual sale price.

Last edited:
Again, I think merging this is inappropriate. The article goes back over 30 years of inflation, while this thread is about "current inflation".

We have two ongoing threads discussing inflation. One is this thread, examples of price changes that people feel are inflationary, and the other is a general discussion on inflation, policy, measurements and trends (here). There is some overlap between the two, and both get into methodology. This article is a discussion of methodology and can be in either. If you prefer the other, we’re happy to move it.

We're still in the weird period of expansionary fiscal policy and tightening monetary policy. While higher interest rates are making things like housing more expensive and slowing down new home construction, investments in things like new chip manufacturing are adding to labor demand.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out, before and after the election.

Can I toss in some deflation?

A home down the street very similar to mine just went under contract for sale at a price about $100,000 less than the sale prices of previous similar homes. It sold very quickly, within two weeks from what I can tell.

We're still in the weird period of expansionary fiscal policy and tightening monetary policy. While higher interest rates are making things like housing more expensive and slowing down new home construction, investments in things like new chip manufacturing are adding to labor demand.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out, before and after the election.
You should see this thread for that type of discussion:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/latest-inflation-numbers-and-discussion-120454-11.html

It's not just high interest rates making housing more expensive. Building supplies and labor are a lot more expensive than years back, and insurance is up a lot also.

I'm in the same situation as AJA but I pay less attention to individual prices and more to the total bill. And attention to the total bill is the ONLY thing I pay less for these days.

We tend to pretty much eat and use the same items and brands week-to-week and 95% of the weekly groceries come from the same store. 3-yrs ago my average weekly grocery bill was $90 (rounded off). Since then the average weekly bill is running $110 (also rounded off), roughly 22% increase. This didn't occur overnight but gradually over time. The grocer has been sending us monthly coupons (which I detest but that's for another post) one of which is $11 off if the total bill is > $111.

And on my way to see the doc this morning I saw gas prices over $4 p/g. But since we sold our motor home we use very little gas these days.

Although the latest CPI shows continued elevated insurance inflation, my personal auto insurance costs just deflated. Six months ago, I figured I’d sign up for one of those driver safety monitoring programs that my insurer keeps hounding me about, giving up a little privacy for a chance at reduced rates. Well, my renewal came in yesterday and it’s down over $300 for both cars. This is about a 30% discount. I guess we drive like old people, LOL!

My driver safety course knocked $157 off of my yearly premium. That still leaves a whopper of a premium increase this year.

Apparently, the State Dept of Insurance authorized a 25% auto insurance premium increase for this year alone. That’s after 7% last year. FWIW, our insurance commissioner is not running for re-election this year.

Had to replace the batteries (yes, two since it is a diesel) in my old truck $258 for both without core charge. I could not find the receipt for the batteries purchased approx 4 years ago, but did find the receipt from Aug 2014 battery replacement at $199 for the same thing. So that's just under 30% inflation in 10 years. I guess that is not a unrealistic increase.

Funny related cost increase on batteries. The 2014 core charge was $9, it is currently $15. Not an issue since I brought in my old batteries when buying the new ones. But that is 67% cost inflation.

Good news on one product line: Pasta is back not too far from its pre-pandemic price in the local supermarket here. Even the store brand had spiked to well over 200%. You still have to watch for shrinkflation, some types don't come in one-pound boxes any more.

On a possibly related note, WalMarts around here sell a line of "home baked" breads which had spiked to well over 200%. They're proudly displaying a "rollback" to "just" 150% of the pre-pandemic price. A bit dishonest, but a step in the right direction, anyway.

Maybe the grain disruptions are finally working their way out of the supply chain.

Less than 2 years ago, we ate a carry out plate lunch from our local Times grocery store once or twice a week. Each day, there were different featured dishes, typically with 3 main-course selections to choose from plus 3 of 5 side selections each day plus a refillable fountain drink (take THAT Costco Hot-Dog-And-A-Drink!) Price was $8.99 and there was enough food in each carry out for two people. This week, that price has gone to $11.99 per meal. Still a pretty good deal, but the rate of inflation is astounding. If I'm calculating that correctly, it's a 33% inflation over less than 2 years. Fortunately, the size and quality have remained the same. YMMV

4-pack of craft beer pints, in cans, at beer store a few days ago, $23.00. Luckily for me they have a discount shelf where I can get decent craft beer for 40% off, due to it nearing exp date. Nothing new, though. Craft beer prices have been going insane for 10 years already, lol. Plenty of cases retailing for over $100.

4-pack of craft beer pints, in cans, at beer store a few days ago, $23.00. Luckily for me they have a discount shelf where I can get decent craft beer for 40% off, due to it nearing exp date. Nothing new, though. Craft beer prices have been going insane for 10 years already, lol. Plenty of cases retailing for over $100.

That's really high. I've not seen that type of inflation at my beer stores, comparing apples to apples. Good craft beer, brewed locally, can still be had for $8-10 for a six pack. Less than that on sale. I have seen inflation at brewpubs. Taps that were $5-$7 per pint two years ago are going for $7-$8 per pint now, apples to apples. And many higher octane taps are now served in smaller glasses. That's not a bad thing for me, but a 50% smaller glass ought to reflect a lower price-even for imperial stouts. Shrinkification with a price increase is a double whammy.

That's really high. I've not seen that type of inflation at my beer stores, comparing apples to apples. Good craft beer, brewed locally, can still be had for $8-10 for a six pack. Less than that on sale. I have seen inflation at brewpubs. Taps that were $5-$7 per pint two years ago are going for $7-$8 per pint now, apples to apples. And many higher octane taps are now served in smaller glasses. That's not a bad thing for me, but a 50% smaller glass ought to reflect a lower price-even for imperial stouts. Shrinkification with a price increase is a double whammy.

Yeah, that small 'snifter' glass for high alcohol content beer started about 10 years ago. The excuse was always that they were 'protecting' you from overindulging. Very annoying.

Picture is worth a 1000 words. This is in Texas where gas is relatively cheap too. Good thing I only needed 2/3 a tank of gas.

image0(25).jpeg

Last edited:
The beer talk had me curious to look something up. Usually I drink relatively cheap beer. Yuengling is normally about as fancy as it gets. But, every once in awhile, I'd get a brand called Victory. I don't know how widespread they are, but they sell a few different flavors, like "Golden Monkey", "Berry Monkey", "Sour Monkey" etc. And it's usually something like 9.5% alcohol content. I just looked it up at the discount liquor store where I usually do my bulk booze runs. $12.99 for a 6 pack. So I guess that's not TOO bad, these days.

I remember it being $9.99 for the longest time, but haven't bought it in ages.

As for the Yuengling, I remember it being about $15.99 for a 24-pack, bottles, for the longest time as well, but it had been creeping up, and I seem to recall $18.99 not too long ago. One of my housemates has been picking up most of the booze lately, so I'm a bit out of touch. I just checked it online, and it's up to $21.99 if I want the bottles.

So, I guess inflation is catching up! It's still $18.99 if I want it in the can, but somehow it just tastes better, in the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom