Examples of current inflation - add yours!

A month ago I could buy a gallon of gas at Safeway for $3.85. Now it’s $4.20 at the same station. Fuel and food prices can vary a lot even over a small time period of a few weeks. This price increase occurred in about a month.

Last edited:
My local gas prices.
August 2012: $3.899/gal
March 2024: $3.249/gal

It also depends on exactly where you buy gas. The highway (I-95) runs through my town and there is a rest stop on each side of it about 3 miles from my house. If I went there to fill up, I would pay 20 cents more per gallon than my usual station next to the grocery store (which as of today is $3.30 per gallon, about the same as it was 2 weeks ago when I last filled up).

Is the quality the same? Just because it has the same model number doesn't mean it's identical.

You ask a good question, and it’s not easy to tell. The design is exactly the same, but the “feel” is a bit different. I think there is some plastic where there used to be metal.

Gas goes up in the summer. It goes down in the winter. Dec thru Feb usually see the cheapest prices.

A month ago I could buy a gallon of gas at Safeway for $3.85. Now it’s $4.20 at the same station. Fuel and food prices can vary a lot even over a small time period of a few weeks. This price increase occurred in about a month.
That sounds about like the jump I've seen.

Gas goes up in the summer.
We're about 3 months away from summer. So, this is not a good early sign to see the big jumps up already. It was about $3/gal around the beginning of the year and up 78 cents already to this point. And just to be clear, I'm talking about what it was here locally what I saw myself at what was the common price among most gas stations here.

That's a 26% increase in less than 3 months, or more like 100% annualized increase. That's also up 68% from pre-pandemic Jan 2020 price I mentioned of $2.24.

Anyway, hopefully we can move on from gas prices. I was just giving an updated report on the price increase reported to me, and I have confirmed a big jump even closer to home as well. This wasn't meant to be a discussion about national gas prices and trends. It looks like the average in IL is $3.916/gal.

Last edited:
AAA says the current national average price for regular gas is $3.533 and a year ago it was $3.441.

That's a 2.67% increase. So although prices vary widely in different locations, it's hardly a megatrend.

https://gasprices.aaa.com

You have to look for "cash" vs "credit" in the figures. I've not seen ANY Hele stations locally with prices like those listed locally by the Gasbuddy site. Of course, we live no place close to Mililani. It WAS right-on about Costco on Alakawa. $4.13. I filled up Saturday.

Most "corner" gas stations are $4.55 to $4.75. I had to pay $4.60/gallon to get two gallons so I'd make it to Costco. Bad planning on my part.

You'd all be proud of me for not telling DW that I got 25 mpg on the tank. She never gets better than 22. She's old school (if you ain't pushing a pedal - you ain't driving.:cool:)

Oh, and YMMV.

I filled up the tank Tuesday with premium at $4.69, close to the Pittsburgh area, drove across state north of Philly and refilled, premium at $3.69. I make the trek often, and this station is consistently lower always.

I buy wood pellets every year for our stove. Has been rising faster lately.
2021 $195/ton
2022 $205/ton
2023 $289/ton
2024 $320/ton. current price

I buy wood pellets every year for our stove. Has been rising faster lately.
2021 $195/ton
2022 $205/ton
2023 $289/ton
2024 $320/ton. current price
Wow, that's 64% in 3 years. I hadn't seen anyone comment on those going up so much. I wonder if firewood prices are up much. I don't use, either.

Scotts Lawn Fertilizer Shrinkflation:
The 15,000SF bag now replaced by a 20% smaller 12,000SF bag.
Price still right up there.

Scotts Lawn Fertilizer Shrinkflation:
The 15,000SF bag now replaced by a 20% smaller 12,000SF bag.
Price still right up there.

Lawn products in general. My lawn guy (chemicals, not lawn mowing) was charging around $500 for the season a couple years ago. This year he is almost at $1K. (I live on an acre).

I have a very small leak in the front of my house that I only noticed because my water meter was going up about 1/100th of a gallon every 2-5 minutes. So I had a plumber come to my house. We know the location of where the leak is but not the exact pipe, etc. We decided to wait until later to fix it. Anyway, while the plumber was there I asked him how much it would cost to replace a bathroom sink faucet. He quoted me $430 and I already had purchased the faucet so all he had to do was take out the old one and put in the new one. My time estimate for an experienced plumber to do the job would be an hour or less. Needless to say, I'll replace the faucet myself. When did plumbing prices go up so much? I had the same company come out 4 years ago and replace a shutoff valve and insides of a toilet and it was only about $160. Also, next time I'll try to find a handyman to do the "easy stuff".

I have a very small leak in the front of my house that I only noticed because my water meter was going up about 1/100th of a gallon every 2-5 minutes. So I had a plumber come to my house. We know the location of where the leak is but not the exact pipe, etc. We decided to wait until later to fix it. Anyway, while the plumber was there I asked him how much it would cost to replace a bathroom sink faucet. He quoted me $430 and I already had purchased the faucet so all he had to do was take out the old one and put in the new one. My time estimate for an experienced plumber to do the job would be an hour or less. Needless to say, I'll replace the faucet myself. When did plumbing prices go up so much? I had the same company come out 4 years ago and replace a shutoff valve and insides of a toilet and it was only about $160. Also, next time I'll try to find a handyman to do the "easy stuff".
Have seen reports of a plumber shortage-
Therefore many probably providing high quotes, especially for customers who appear able to pay.

Assume they are picking jobs they will work by quoting accordingly.

My condo insurance policy went up $886 or 56%. This doesn’t even include the structure of the building that is covered by the master insurance policy. Nor does it include hurricane coverage which is a different policy.

This might be more a result of sticker shock, than good old fashioned, creeping inflation, but I had a little dose of it yesterday. I have a light over the sink in my kitchen that uses narrow, 36" fluorescent tubes. One of them had been burned out for awhile, but on Monday night, I went into the kitchen for something, turned on the light, noticed the second one was flickering, and then it went out on me.

Yesterday morning, I went to Lowes and got two new ones. With tax, something like 29 bucks!! But, on the plus side, I've had this house since 9/7/2018 (I'll always remember the date, because I went to closing the day Burt Reynolds died), so I've gone over 5 1/2 years without replacing. I have never, in my life, bought one of these compact fluorescent tubes, so I have no idea how much their price has crept up over the years.

The last time I bought tubes, it was the old fashioned, 48" kind, like the ones we used to play "Star Wars" with as kids back in the 70's. I forget how much those were, but I remember buying them in like an 8 or 10 pack, and they only came out to a couple bucks apiece.

Gumby I can assure you that gas prices are often above $4.00 a gallon in Chicago near where I live as not many stations really close. Cook county which taxes gasoline extends over a large area around Chicago. I was quite excited to buy gas for less than $4.00 a gallon yesterday. When driving home passed a station near an express way entrance that seems to exist on mechanical work that is always around 50 cents higher than anywhere else.
Gas buddy searches for the lowest prices and for those of us who put on maybe 80 miles a month not worth going too far to get lowest prices or sit in line at Costco for 10 minutes or buy a new shiny Tesla : ) .

I did a search for top 10 gas stations and cheap fuel prices in Chicago on gas buddy.
top ten listings were for in Wisconsin, and Indiana outside of cook county. Those were in $3.25 a gallon range or so.

Cook county tax is 0.665 cents per gallon and it is possible there can be local city taxes of .003.
Per illinoispolicy.org Illinois is #2 in nation for gas tax.

I do admit that when i went to eia.gov the weekly formulated gas prices they show a chart that says as of week 03/25/2024 were 3.968 dollars per gallon. I'm probably not as aware of gas prices as others as I have a small tank and fill up when down 3/8 th.

This might be more a result of sticker shock, than good old fashioned, creeping inflation, but I had a little dose of it yesterday. I have a light over the sink in my kitchen that uses narrow, 36" fluorescent tubes...
They cost so much more now because the market is so small. Almost all businesses have replaced florescent tubes with LEDs, as have most homeowners. No sense buying any of that old technology. They sell LED replacement tubes which fit right in. Just be sure to bypass the ballast, because those have a limited lifespan, too. Or buy a new LED fixture.

Gumby I can assure you that gas prices are often above $4.00 a gallon in Chicago near where I live as not many stations really close. Cook county which taxes gasoline extends over a large area around Chicago. I was quite excited to buy gas for less than $4.00 a gallon yesterday. When driving home passed a station near an express way entrance that seems to exist on mechanical work that is always around 50 cents higher than anywhere else.
Gas buddy searches for the lowest prices and for those of us who put on maybe 80 miles a month not worth going too far to get lowest prices or sit in line at Costco for 10 minutes or buy a new shiny Tesla : ) .

I did a search for top 10 gas stations and cheap fuel prices in Chicago on gas buddy.
top ten listings were for in Wisconsin, and Indiana outside of cook county. Those were in $3.25 a gallon range or so.

Cook county tax is 0.665 cents per gallon and it is possible there can be local city taxes of .003.
Per illinoispolicy.org Illinois is #2 in nation for gas tax.

I do admit that when i went to eia.gov the weekly formulated gas prices they show a chart that says as of week 03/25/2024 were 3.968 dollars per gallon. I'm probably not as aware of gas prices as others as I have a small tank and fill up when down 3/8 th.

I don't doubt that gas prices are over $4.00 some places in the country. Hawaii, Alaska, and California immediately come to mind, because they are always higher than the rest of the country due to a variety of factors. And, based on your post, this list apparently includes Cook County due to taxes. But that is not an example of inflation experienced by a guy who lives in downstate Illinois. Neither is the reported $4.00 in Schaumburg. To see if gas prices were inflating, you'd have to know how much that station in Schaumburg (or Hawaii, Alaska, or California) was charging two weeks ago or a month ago. Maybe it was even higher then.**

I don't know why someone would bother to post that gas is over $4.00 per gallon, with a "yikes" no less, when they are not paying that much. Yes, one can scrape up examples of some places around the country of gas over $4, but when easily available public data shows that is not the general case where the poster actually lives, it makes me suspect the motivations behind the post.

And, in a larger sense, this is why anecdotes are such a poor way to measure inflation. The BLS has a considered methodology to ensure that they are measuring apples to apples. You can disagree with their methodology and the adjustments they make, but they use actual published data, not secondhand reports, and they make an effort to measure the exact same things, in the exact same places, under the exact same conditions and over the precise time they are measuring. That cannot be said of almost any of the anecdotes reported in this thread. So you'll excuse me if I take the word of the BLS as to the current level of general inflation in the national economy over the reports of individuals.

**Edit to add - this site is useful for comparing gas prices across the country and over time. You can see the average price for each county in your state and compare that to the national average and the price in other states. https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=IL

Last edited:
Yesterday, DW received notice that her Medigap Plan G premiums would be going up 14.8% in a couple of months. We also found out that our homeowner's premiums, assuming we stay with the same insurance company, will go up 34.4% in our upcoming renewal period.

Gumby I can assure you that gas prices are often above $4.00 a gallon in Chicago near where I live as not many stations really close.

Yeah, it's crazy how high they are with these Illinois gas taxes.

But that is not an example of inflation experienced by a guy who lives in downstate Illinois. Neither is the reported $4.00 in Schaumburg.
I tried to clarify this earlier, but my post might have been missed, so I will explain again.

My girlfriend reported that it was over $4 to me, which was indeed accurate for Schaumburg, and after posting about it here, and the contradictory response I got, I confirmed this online and posted proof in an earlier post. There are still some gas stations in Schaumburg selling gas at over $4/gal, and none are too far below that. It's $3.74 here at all the gas stations near me, which is up about 25 cents quite recently and up 75 cents from the beginning of the year.

I don't know why someone would bother to post that gas is over $4.00 per gallon, with a "yikes" no less, when they are not paying that much. Yes, one can scrape up examples of some places around the country of gas over $4, but when easily available public data
I responded about this earlier. Because my girlfriend told me that. I go there sometimes, plus I have family in that area as well, plus there are other big attractions in the area. It's not some random place I picked out. There's a personal connection. I wouldn't have said "yikes" about CT gas prices. :LOL:

And, in a larger sense, this is why anecdotes are such a poor way to measure inflation. The BLS has a considered methodology to ensure that they are measuring apples to apples.
But, this thread is specifically for anecdotes. There's a separate thread for inflation figures. I've certainly seen much higher inflation than the gub'ment figures, which make inflation look lower than it really is for many people.

To put things into one perspective, starting January 2020 through December 2023 the CPI rose a total of 17.8%.
That doesn't surprise me for the official CPI figures. Sadly, I've seen a lot worse in some areas, unfortunately some of the biggest expenses, like home maintenance/services, insurance, as others have mentioned as well.

Last edited:
I found some good sharp cheddar cheese for $2 a pound at a local ethnic grocer. Apparently, the owners buy it in big wheels, cuts and wrap it in much smaller chunks and sell it for less than the big name grocery stores. They will be seeing me more often that’s for sure. And they have some very interesting sauces I may try. I guess I am hooked.

Last edited:
Wow, that's 64% in 3 years. I hadn't seen anyone comment on those going up so much. I wonder if firewood prices are up much. I don't use, either.

Brings back memories of Oil Shock One ca 1974. We heated with propane and paid $0.17/gallon which went to $1.20/gallon in a year. Refilling our 1000 gallon tank (usually about 450 gallons) three times a year was a month's pay. That's when I installed the Jøtul wood stove and cut up dead trees after the tornado.

Back
Top Bottom