Explorer Tire Suggestions

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been running Goodyear Wrangler 15" knobby type tires on the old 99 Explorer and they are coming to their usefull end, proablay got 60K+ on them. I recently moved to the south where snow is not a common occurance. I was thinking about replacing these tires with something more suitable for good rain traction and a better ride than the Wranglers I currently have on the old girl. Any suggestions ? The Explorer has about 75K on it and I plan to keep it for at least another 40-60K miles.

Appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.

i looooved my goodrich at k'o's. 99% highway driven.

Several years ago I had Goodyear 'Aqua-Tread' tires. I think they've changed the name of them, but they were EXCELLENT for rain, smooth riding for dry pavement, and pretty darn good in snow, too. Ask a Goodyear dealer, and I'm sure he can give you the new name of them.

You might go to tirerack.com for tire ratings for SUVs. Pick out your preferred tire and check with Discount Tire, NTB, Costco etc. for the best price.

2soon

i think tire rack is a good idea, you can't just stick a passenger tire on so what works on a car can be awful on an suv.

The new version of Aquatred is "Assurance", and the SUV line is called "Fortera". I just had to junk a 10 year old set of Aquatreds that were in great shape, but would not pass state inspection due to age. The tirerack.com site has a lot of good info, but I would be cautious about the tire reviews as they are consumer-rated. BTW, I would much rather pay a few dollars more and purchase from a local tire dealer vs. buying on the web.

We went with Michelins from Costco. No regrets.

Back
Top Bottom