Fast Food Drive Thru Only - Is This the Future?

CatinKS

Dryer sheet aficionado
I visited two fast food restaurants this week that had locked doors though the open sign was on. The drive thru was operating as several cars were in line.
I assume due to staffing issues this is the work around, maybe permanent solution? This also eliminates staff cleaning the public area, no trash etc, less soft drinks as there are no refills. Probably helps to counter the rising cost and keep their prices somewhat reasonable.

I really don't care to eat my food in the vehicle. I enjoy a refill of soft drink as I can justify the cost easier. Is this the future trend, similar to the corner coffee shops? It also getting to the point where a person must ask for condiments and napkins, or they are not included. The good thing from this is maybe I'll eat some healthier foods and less fast food.

Fast food drive through is definitely a one person's happy meal is another person's nightmare.

I have friends who swear by drive through. They'd rather sit in a long line with the car running, waste gas for about 30 minutes, shout out of the car to place an order and do the balancing act to not spill drinks during the exchange. Not to mention messing up the car with fries or other food on the floor.

I'm with you as I really don't care for drive through.

almost definitely staffing issues.

I visited two fast food restaurants this week that had locked doors though the open sign was on. The drive thru was operating as several cars were in line.
I assume due to staffing issues this is the work around, maybe permanent solution? This also eliminates staff cleaning the public area, no trash etc, less soft drinks as there are no refills. Probably helps to counter the rising cost and keep their prices somewhat reasonable.

I really don't care to eat my food in the vehicle. I enjoy a refill of soft drink as I can justify the cost easier. Is this the future trend, similar to the corner coffee shops? It also getting to the point where a person must ask for condiments and napkins, or they are not included. The good thing from this is maybe I'll eat some healthier foods and less fast food.

Even before the pandemic I was told by several fast food managers that ~70% of their sales come from the drive through window. I would be willing to bet that the savings in labor, especially at the higher rates they now have to pay, would more than make up for the small loss in sales from eliminating indoor dining.

The aftermath of Covid, which made most of us get used to drive thru. I'm getting the impression fast food places don't want to re-open "dining rooms" and rest rooms, definitely labor savings involved. Once they face competition again, some will resort to opening dining rooms/rest rooms to boost sales. All just my guess.

I've also noticed a lot of decent sit down restaurants have clung to take out and online ordering, again due to Covid conditioning. I think a lot of people got used to DoorDash, Uber Eats and the others too - and they'd rather have someone bring them dinner so they can eat at home in their fuzzy slippers...

Covid has changed a lot of things, restaurants/deliveries, online ordering (accelerated an inevitable trend already well underway) - some will come back, some won't.

Last edited:
I don't eat fast food that much, my exception being my addiction to Bojangles chicken. And that's about the worst food to eat in a car. Most Bo's have reopened their dining rooms but if they close again that'll be healthier for me.

I don't eat fast food that much, my exception being my addiction to Bojangles chicken. And that's about the worst food to eat in a car. Most Bo's have reopened their dining rooms but if they close again that'll be healthier for me.
For fast food, I'd agree BoJangles is good fried chicken. I can't resist eating it a couple times a month myself. :blush:

tumblr_static_bojangles-logo-motto.jpg

Last edited:
Until robotics can replace labor, I think the trend to drive thru plus possibly take out for fast casual is the trend. Too expensive for labor and too unreliable. Cuts down on new store rent, capex and ongoing opex and so far very little loss of sales. Interesting times

My Bojangles fav is Cajun filet biscuit - so good ��

Well even the fast food outlets that dine in have not put out the self serve drink machines. My deal is we usually fast food while traveling and not having the bathroom open is a real issue you want to get out stretch your legs ,hit the bathroom as well as getting food

Some chains have found, even before COVID, that a high percentage of orders came from the mobile app. That greatly accelerated since COVID. Places like Starbucks and chipotle get something like 70-90% of orders on the app. Chipotle has started opening digital-order only locations. No dining room. Just a pick up counter. It’s enabling them to open in locations where there isn’t space for a full restaurant.

I drove by a coffee shop this morning similar to Starbucks and there was at least 12 cars in line. This place was opened in 2020 with indoor seating but the indoor part has never been open due to covid. Probably staffing issues now. It must be pretty darn good to sit in a line that long. PJ's Coffee is the name of the place.

Well even the fast food outlets that dine in have not put out the self serve drink machines. My deal is we usually fast food while traveling and not having the bathroom open is a real issue you want to get out stretch your legs ,hit the bathroom as well as getting food

Agreed. Restroom availability is key for us during long trips. Certain states are VERY bad at providing rest areas even on interstate let alone State highways (example, Georgia is on my mind...). Luckily, gas stations often have restrooms albeit with varying degrees of cleanliness....
We don't usually do fast food, but will make an exception when traveling and needing a typically clean restroom.

I hate ordering through the drive through just to take it somewhere else to eat. I want to be able to sit inside if I want to. As covid went on and a few places started reopening the dining rooms, I took that as a sign I could start complaining. If I went to a place the was drive thru only, when places around it were not, I would complain to the manager and proceed to leave and take my business elsewhere.

Over time, pretty much every dining room around here (North Dallas area) is open for business.

Do not just assume that stuff has to have changed due to covid. It does not. The only reason to keep a dining room closed right now is that the business wants to save money having to staff and clean it. Pure greed (which is not necessarily bad), just make sure they know that they may be saving costs, but it is also reducing their revenue also.

The math goes both ways. More profit by reducing costs, but also more profit by increasing revenue.

We have gone to the same fast food restaurant 3 times in the past 4 months. The first time, the door was unlocked, we entered, and ordered our food. The employee then went over and locked the door so no one else could enter. We ate, cleaned up after ourselves, left a tip, and exited. A month later, we returned. The door was locked so we returned to our car and went to another restaurant. A month after that, we returned again. An employee saw us walking toward the door and opened it for us. We ordered and ate inside. Another couple tried the door while we were eating and found it locked. We gave the employee who let us in a tip. He told us they are having staffing problems.

The only reason to keep a dining room closed right now is that the business wants to save money having to staff and clean it. Pure greed

There also continues to be a significant labor shortage. Many of these places can’t reopen because they simply can’t find enough help. And it’s not just fast food. I know of nice upscale restaurants that have cut hours due to lack of staff. Other businesses too. Our local Walgreens is no longer open on weekends due to staffing issues. Lots of other examples.

Agreed. Restroom availability is key for us during long trips. Certain states are VERY bad at providing rest areas even on interstate let alone State highways (example, Georgia is on my mind...). Luckily, gas stations often have restrooms albeit with varying degrees of cleanliness....
We don't usually do fast food, but will make an exception when traveling and needing a typically clean restroom.

The drive we take to lake during summertime has 3 new Kwik trips and they do on site food specials. And self serve drink machines. Guess where we eat now?

almost definitely staffing issues.

my wife and her girlfriend like to lunch, alternately, at a Wendy's, Buona Beef, McDonald's and Culver's. of those four the Wendy's is the only one that periodically closes their indoor seating although that's happening less often. we will occasionally get take-out dinner from Boston Market. their dining room has been closed for months. drive-thru only. the line is usually not long. i'm told it's a lack of staff.

there are "Help Wanted" signs everywhere we go. panhandlers and beggars, too.
:confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, no need to work or even apply. Just stand out on the street with your sign.

I'm prepared though, got a salt and pepper shaker in the car - :)

Last edited:
Does anyone understand why such a labor shortage? It’s everywhere in the US. And it’s not just in fast food joints. It seems the strangest thing. I don’t get how Covid could’ve caused it. I’m genuinely curious, but haven’t ever seen a clear explanation. Everyone just seems to roll with it without questioning.

I retired pre-Covid so it’s not my fault [emoji846]

Me neither. Every store front has a help wanted, now hiring sign. Every semi trailer has a drivers wanted, top pay and benefits.

McDonald's starts at $15/hr, The Cheesesteak Shop at $18. And the "tent cities" by the freeways continue to grow.

I have no idea if this is going on here right now, or not, since we eat at conventional restaurants that don't have drive throughs, instead of fast food restaurants.

But I do remember back in 2020 (and maybe 2021?) reading online that several fast food restaurants nearby had closed, presumably because they couldn't find anybody to work there.

Last time I was INSIDE a FF restaurant (you'd know the name) there were maybe 5 people inside. There were two young women at the counter talking to each other and I had to wait until they finished their important conversation before they would wait on me. I haven't been back.

I DO go to Panda Express - sort of a cross between FF and a real restaurant. By the way, I'm sure my tastebuds are strictly midwestern, but I prefer PE to most "real" Chinese restaurants - in Hawaii, but not on the mainland. All the PE I've visited in the Islands employ cooks who understand Chinese food. Not so much in the midwest. YMMV

Day care businesses are also having trouble keeping staff.
The daycare the Grands go to have been having staffing problems.

Does anyone understand why such a labor shortage? It’s everywhere in the US. And it’s not just in fast food joints. It seems the strangest thing. I don’t get how Covid could’ve caused it. I’m genuinely curious, but haven’t ever seen a clear explanation. Everyone just seems to roll with it without questioning.

I retired pre-Covid so it’s not my fault [emoji846]
What I’ve read:
  • Some parents were forced to stay home to care for their kids during Covid, found ways to reorder their lives, and decided they preferred the new arrangement and exited the workforce.
  • Some folks still fear Covid, and aren’t willing to go back to close quarters with co-workers, especially true for low wage jobs (like fast food).
  • Some older workers gave up and retired. Older teachers, nurses, daycare, pilots/flight attendants, truck drivers, small business owners ruined by Covid restrictions (I know several personally), etc.
  • Some lower wage job holders decided the low pay wasn’t enough to put up with work BS, to go in another direction, newly discovered side hustles became jobs. Social media has made new careers some older generations don’t recognize, influencers, YouTubers, drone photography, etc.
Covid forced many people to change their lives, and a significant number of them decided the new arrangement was acceptable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom