Fast Food Drive Thru Only - Is This the Future?

"I got serious about reselling in January and I'm now making more than I made at my previous job. I love seeing the continuous growth from month to month and I've never been happier in a job. “
—————————————
COVID forced a lot of people to reevaluate what they wanted to do with their lives and many forged a new path like this person.

Oh, this person used to work at McDonalds. Now she’s already doing over 4K/month in sales and I have no doubt that number will climb because she loves what she’s doing.

While I certainly believe this kind of very successful job/career transition is happening for some ex-fast food workers, I highly doubt it's typical. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I just don't see how large numbers of fast food line cooks, cashiers, janitors, etc. are suddenly finding great success in fields like Internet sales/entrepreneurship. I'm sure there are the rare success stories, but what about the other 95%, the ones who were fast food workers because they didn't have the skills, motivation, ambition, smarts, and/or education to get better jobs?

While I certainly believe this kind of very successful job/career transition is happening for some ex-fast food workers, I highly doubt it's typical. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I just don't see how large numbers of fast food line cooks, cashiers, janitors, etc. are suddenly finding great success in fields like Internet sales/entrepreneurship. I'm sure there are the rare success stories, but what about the other 95%, the ones who were fast food workers because they didn't have the skills, motivation, ambition, smarts, and/or education to get better jobs?

Success stories for such transitions usually include either a fair amount of luck, or more likely, a LOT of perseverance. Good j*bs ARE out there and the current low unemployment rate favors folks who otherwise might struggle to achieve a more ideal position. YMMV

my late BIL served a 5-year hitch in the US Army until '72. when he was out and despite a degree in mechanical engineering he chose instead to live a minimalist lifestyle...delivering newspapers and hustling pool. he did that successfully for many years before finally putting his degree to work for Factory Mutual. maybe he was a trend-setter without even knowing it. :LOL:

my late BIL served a 5-year hitch in the US Army until '72. when he was out and despite a degree in mechanical engineering he chose instead to live a minimalist lifestyle...delivering newspapers and hustling pool. he did that successfully for many years before finally putting his degree to work for Factory Mutual. maybe he was a trend-setter without even knowing it. :LOL:

My cousin was a very smart guy. He excelled in school and took top honors. He started a c*reer at a drug company but was stymied by their rigid advancement process. Top performers were paid better and did advance faster, but there were no "jumps" within his career path. He was doing the work of a PhD but only had a BS degree. He became frustrated and quit. Instead of taking a similar (very well paid but confining position) with another company, he spent the rest of his life doing things like sheep farming, antique refinishing and clock repair. He was virtually broke but survived. He remained frustrated that he was so "poor" but would not bend to convention.

My thinking: If you're gonna be frustrated, at least be well paid for it.:facepalm: YMMV

What I’ve read:
  • Some parents were forced to stay home to care for their kids during Covid, found ways to reorder their lives, and decided they preferred the new arrangement and exited the workforce.
  • Some folks still fear Covid, and aren’t willing to go back to close quarters with co-workers, especially true for low wage jobs (like fast food).
  • Some older workers gave up and retired. Older teachers, nurses, daycare, pilots/flight attendants, truck drivers, small business owners ruined by Covid restrictions (I know several personally), etc.
  • Some lower wage job holders decided the low pay wasn’t enough to put up with work BS, to go in another direction, newly discovered side hustles became jobs. Social media has made new careers some older generations don’t recognize, influencers, YouTubers, drone photography, etc.
Covid forced many people to change their lives, and a significant number of them decided the new arrangement was acceptable.

I am not a fast food worker, but... there are some contrarions like me (a tech worker) who have realized how short staffed our former employers are, and have gone back part time being able to name our price. Since I don't really need the money but enjoy the project, I know that if it starts to cramp my lifestyle, I can walk away. Ah, the benefits of being FI!

What I’ve read:
  • Some parents were forced to stay home to care for their kids during Covid, found ways to reorder their lives, and decided they preferred the new arrangement and exited the workforce.
  • Some folks still fear Covid, and aren’t willing to go back to close quarters with co-workers, especially true for low wage jobs (like fast food).
  • Some older workers gave up and retired. Older teachers, nurses, daycare, pilots/flight attendants, truck drivers, small business owners ruined by Covid restrictions (I know several personally), etc.
  • Some lower wage job holders decided the low pay wasn’t enough to put up with work BS, to go in another direction, newly discovered side hustles became jobs. Social media has made new careers some older generations don’t recognize, influencers, YouTubers, drone photography, etc.
Covid forced many people to change their lives, and a significant number of them decided the new arrangement was acceptable.
All of this is true, and more.

Nearly 1 million Americans have died of COVID. Many were elderly but not all were. Plenty were still in the workforce. Those workers aren't ever coming back.

The last thing I read said that over 3 million more people retired than historical trends would have accounted for. Maybe a small percentage will go back to work but most of those workers are probably gone for good.

Many people were forced out of their jobs due to COVID closures. They had to find other work so they're likely never going back to the jobs they previously held.

Many people moved to gig work, as noted earlier. When I go grocery shopping each week, I think I see more Instacart workers than I do regular shoppers like me. A lot of people switched to grocery delivery or curbside pickup due to COVID and liked it so much they are sticking with it. That has boosted the need for paid shoppers. The same goes for Uber Eats and Door Dash and Caviar and GoPuff and other food and household item delivery services. Heck, my wife switched to curbside pickup or delivery from Target and Walmart and has continued to shop that way even though we are comfortable going into the stores now. Services like Fiverr are also a means for people to earn from the comfort of their homes.

Many people used the forced change to chart their own course and start their own businesses. Ebay is a prime example but also Poshmark and Mercari and Etsy and others. Especially for lower income workers, it's quite easy to replace that income via online sales. Making 30K or so on ebay is something nearly any able-bodied person can do.

Then there are people who simply aren't going back to work. That is predominantly women who have left the workforce due to child care issues. Many day cares closed permanently over the past 2 years. Once they were forced to do without, many families found that by eliminating the day care expense, commuting costs, clothing costs, and trimming some other household expenses like dining out, they could manage just fine without the 2nd income. I also know a number of people personally who pulled their kids out of school due to COVID and switched to either home schooling or a virtual school so one parent needs to be home with them.

On the young end of the scale, a lot of high school seniors opted to take a gap year rather than start college virtually, and some existing college students did the same. That means there will be a delay in those folks hitting the labor market after graduation. They may pick up some temporary work during the gap year but they won't launch into their careers for an extra year.

So lots and lots of reasons behind the labor shortage, and I've only touched on some of them.

The fast food job was never meant to be a "career". It was meant to be any entry into the workforce. Most folks who start in that move on to something else. While that certainly is not everyone, it does not need much of an acceleration (which the pandemic surely added many factors to help) of folks no longer seeing that as a viable option to cause a shortage.

The other factor - I can recall a time where those places were actively recruiting older/retired workers. That is not happening anymore, and older/retired folks would been even less interested in working in those places these days That contributes to the shortage.

In addition, the good ones may not have skills for other areas, but could have moved "up" the chain to better restaurants or food service environments than fast food.

The fast food job was never meant to be a "career". It was meant to be any entry into the workforce. Most folks who start in that move on to something else. While that certainly is not everyone, it does not need much of an acceleration (which the pandemic surely added many factors to help) of folks no longer seeing that as a viable option to cause a shortage.

The other factor - I can recall a time where those places were actively recruiting older/retired workers. That is not happening anymore, and older/retired folks would been even less interested in working in those places these days That contributes to the shortage.

In addition, the good ones may not have skills for other areas, but could have moved "up" the chain to better restaurants or food service environments than fast food.
All true. Things like gig work and online sales have made the minimum wage jobs, even with a $15 minimum, less appealing. It's not all that difficult to match or beat that on your own with far better working conditions.

And yes, seniors used to fill a lot of front line customer service positions, but they don't want those jobs anymore.

I never wait. I order from app. You also get discounts. Curbside. Done.

On road trips at Starbucks, we order via mobile app from 5 mins away. If the line is long we run inside. Our order is usually sitting on the counter or just called out.

I believe the average pharmacy tech is paid not much over $30K a year. I am not surprised there would be shortages.
I know degreed Pharmacists make a great salary, and I confirmed. But I didn’t know Pharm Techs don’t make much, so you’re right (too). And I don’t doubt Walgreens, CVS and most others use Pharm Techs for everything possible. Competition does that to the benefit of consumers more than employees?

Attachments

• 119DC397-20E4-4603-A9C7-87D911991E28.jpg
    119DC397-20E4-4603-A9C7-87D911991E28.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Wages are certainly a factor but the folks who like to focus on that aren’t seeing the big picture. Many employers have upped the pay, sometimes significantly, and are still struggling to fill positions. The pandemic had a major impact on the work force in all the ways we’ve already mentioned and more. Some of it may drift back to “normal” but I don’t think it will ever get back to the pre-COVID situation, or at least not for many years.

People forget the damage to the workforce done by Covid. Official deaths are around 1,000,000 and estimates of Long Covid are currently between 5 and 20 million. I know I could not work and most of the patients I know, even those in their 20's and 30's, can't work either.

People forget the damage to the workforce done by Covid. Official deaths are around 1,000,000[USA] and estimates of Long Covid are currently between 5 and 20 million worldwide. I know I could not work and most of the patients I know, even those in their 20's and 30's, can't work either.
Most of them weren’t working when Covid struck…

Preliminarily most people recover from long Covid within 3-6 months, though some cases persist much longer - how long yet unknown. Long Covid is also more prevalent with age, IOW many weren’t working, among other factors.

Attachments

• 7B93DAD1-9BA7-4B2E-BD9B-8744D8E8DE29.jpeg
    7B93DAD1-9BA7-4B2E-BD9B-8744D8E8DE29.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Another factor is the travel stoppage for the past two years. It's not only normal immigration and the green card process that was shut down. It's also been impossible to come to the U.S. on a visa as a student or post-doc researcher, intra-company transfer, specialized worker other than health care, etc. A lot of jobs in my area that are usually done by temporary and permanent immigrants are still empty.

Still, with Covid related work outages (folks isolating after exposure, staying home sick far longer than anyone used to, staying home if kids were sick) that adds up, even if most of the working population has a very high survival rate and low/no symptoms.

2019: has a cold, goes to work like normal
2022: has covid, stays home for 10 days

Another factor is the travel stoppage for the past two years.

Disney World was really hit by this. They used to bring in a bunch of foreign cast members especially in EPCOT. They just recently finally started getting those people back.

At the Jersey shore, they always higher a ton of foreign teens to work at boardwalk shops and restaurants and attractions but couldn’t the past 2 years.

Still, with Covid related work outages (folks isolating after exposure, staying home sick far longer than anyone used to, staying home if kids were sick) that adds up, even if most of the working population has a very high survival rate and low/no symptoms.

2019: has a cold, goes to work like normal
2022: has covid, stays home for 10 days

Also anytime somebody didn’t feel well, they couldn’t come back without a negative COVID test so they were out for 2-3 days every time they had a sniffle or cough. And if an employee did test positive, then everyone in contact with that person had to isolate leaving the job short until everyone was cleared to return.

There also continues to be a significant labor shortage. Many of these places can’t reopen because they simply can’t find enough help. And it’s not just fast food. I know of nice upscale restaurants that have cut hours due to lack of staff. Other businesses too. Our local Walgreens is no longer open on weekends due to staffing issues. Lots of other examples.

I think the staff shortage is part of the problem.

My issue with fast food places that don't open the dining room is that thye also don't open the rest rooms. When traveling, we used to often stop at a fast food joint for a quick meal, play break, and most importantly, for the kids to use the bathrooms. Today, that is an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Most of them weren’t working when Covid struck…

Preliminarily most people recover from long Covid within 3-6 months, though some cases persist much longer - how long yet unknown. Long Covid is also more prevalent with age, IOW many weren’t working, among other factors.
Totally wrong. For example:

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-22-105666.

In what way is Midpack "Totally wrong"? Or even partially wrong?

His post was about deaths and age. I also see nothing in the report you linked that counters any of his comments about long Covid.

I didn't see anywhere in that report that says anything about how long it takes for "most people" to recover. Or any breakdown by age. Did I miss that?

About the only overall statistic I see is:
Studies in the U.S. estimate that 10 to 30 percent of COVID-19 survivors develop long COVID.

The other numbers refer to subsets of the long Covid group, but nothing that counters Midpacks's comments - again, unless I missed it, then please point it out.

-ERD50

Fair enough. The two studies I looked at defined long Covid as more than 90 days whereas the GAO used more than 4 weeks, awfully short to draw conclusions IMO. We won’t know how long it lasts for a while. And not everyone with long Covid is equally debilitated, e.g. unable to work. I was was denying long Covid is a factor, but it’s not known to be all of “5 to 20 million” Americans.

Last edited:
Fair enough. The two studies I looked at defined long Covid as more than 90 days whereas the GAO used more than 4 weeks, awfully short to draw conclusions IMO. We won’t know how long it lasts for a while. And not everyone with long Covid is equally debilitated, e.g. unable to work. I was was denying long Covid is a factor, but it’s not known to be all of “5 to 20 million” Americans.

Waiting for some insurance actuaries to release their numbers. Disability insurers especially, along with Social Security and Medicare.

David Putrino of Mt. Sinal probably knows more than anyone about Long Covid, from both the research and the clinical perspectives. Here's an article from December, describing his findings. https://www.healio.com/news/primary...-for-more-than-1-year-mount-sinai-study-shows

The only time we eat fast food is when we're on a road trip. We use the opportunity to stretch our legs, use the bathroom, and get lunch. Our recent 11 day road trip had 4-5 stops - all of which had the dining room open.

I hope this isn't the trend. Bathrooms are an important QOL issue.

I hope this isn't the trend. Bathrooms are an important QOL issue.

In my experience, there are many other options besides using fast-food bathrooms. I typically make quick stops at rest areas to use the facilities and stretch my legs, or I use the (typically pretty clean) restrooms at large gas/convenience stores like Love's or Flying J or Pilot. Luckily, I've found that I can usually time my need for restrooms to align with my car's need for gas. :)

No interest in fast food.

The only drive thru I have any interest in is a drive thru ATM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom