Favorite Auto Parts for cars

I have an acquaintance that worked in Ford Parts and Service division. Ford wanted to encourage dealers to stock parts, so they had a policy where dealers could return any unsold parts for a full credit. The acquaintance said many of the returned parts were counterfeits in the OEM box. Not sure exactly how that happened but he seemed to think it was a deliberate scam on the part of the dealers.

Ford dealers doing that ? Scandalous I tell you :rolleyes:

I have an acquaintance that worked in Ford Parts and Service division. Ford wanted to encourage dealers to stock parts, so they had a policy where dealers could return any unsold parts for a full credit. The acquaintance said many of the returned parts were counterfeits in the OEM box. Not sure exactly how that happened but he seemed to think it was a deliberate scam on the part of the dealers.

I worked for Ford for 24 years, and had an office in a parts depot. I would think dealers returning sub-standard parts in OEM boxes would be very limited. Dealers earn parts returns based on new parts purchases. Most use their parts returns to return parts ordered in error, parts they didn't end up using on a job, or parts never picked up. It's just too much work to swap out parts in boxes and return them.

Just have to put this out there: Some of those "OEM" parts that everyone HAS TO HAVE, come off of the same line that the NAPA, BWD, GPS aftermarket brands do. :flowers:

I worked for Ford for 24 years, and had an office in a parts depot. I would think dealers returning sub-standard parts in OEM boxes would be very limited. Dealers earn parts returns based on new parts purchases. Most use their parts returns to return parts ordered in error, parts they didn't end up using on a job, or parts never picked up. It's just too much work to swap out parts in boxes and return them.
I have no idea of the actual numbers involved, it was just surprising to me that some dealers would have this much chutzpah.

FCP and Duetche Auto for my VWs. Have used Rock also, and germanautoparts.com

We had issues with counterfeit parts when I was in the business. I wouldn't worry about any of the national chains but if you're buying from a low rated eBay seller buyer beware.

Agreed ... eBay is a sketchy place to buy new car parts. I've picked up some decent used parts there, however.

My preferred sources for auto parts (in order)
1) car-part.com find a local junk yard showing the prices of the part.
2) ebay.com - hopefully find part with free shipping
3) rockauto.com - lots of choices but price spread has been narrowing with national chains
4) autozone.com - decent web site and returns policy

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom