Favorite Beatles song

The Beatles would disagree, as they and the Stones and other British bands were heavily influenced by 50s American rock, and old blues.

Right, for anyone to say that nothing existed before the Beatles is just.... hmmm, struggling for words that fit community guidelines and/or don't sound condescending.... OK, it just doesn't fit reality. Music/art does not work that way.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

-ERD50

"Don't Let Me Down" and Let It Be movie version of "Two of Us"

Hey Jude

Twist and shout was not written by the Beatles though you can't help but like it.
I like the early stuff best. By the time the Lucy in the sky era came, I was done.

From Rolling Stone's list of best Beatles songs. A few of my favs are here.

10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
9. Come Together.
8. Let It Be.
7. Hey Jude.
6. Something.
5. In My Life.
4. Yesterday.
3. Strawberry Fields Forever.
2. I Want to Hold Your Hand.
1. A Day in the Life.

What I'd add: Lots, Including "Get Back". The beatles get back 1969 - YouTube

(3) a fun one: "filling in the ticket in a little white book in a cap, she looked much older and the bag, across her shoulder made her look a little like a military man" :)

That one (Lovely Rita) is amazing. Most bands end a song "normally", but they put down a feel at the end of that which topped it off. I can't imagine leading into "Good Morning" any other way.

Last edited:
That's a great question. When you really think about it, it makes you realize how far popular music has fallen in terms of quality over the past 40 years.
I'd say my favorite of all time was "The Long and Winding Road". It is so moving, on so many levels. But as far as older Beatle songs, I'd have to give my vote to "She Loves You".

When I was in high school in 1964 one of the Winnipeg radio stations ran what they called the "instant 11". People would call in from 6 to 8pm and request their favorite song. At 8 they would play the top 11 requested tunes. There were nights when all 11 were Beatles tunes.

Well, Winnipeg must not be all that bad. I was six and had no idea, but my older siblings were going nuts. I think my parents believed they were raising monkeys.

all of them...so much better than the cr*p out there today

Attachments

• 1555379_510548199060780_1938815290_n.png
    1555379_510548199060780_1938815290_n.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 9
another comment of state of music industry today...

Attachments

• 1560705_260123990817113_1492101383_n.jpg
    1560705_260123990817113_1492101383_n.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 10
Just finished watching the 50 year Beatles tribute and thought it was pretty good. I thought it was odd they featured mostly the later music and not the early music. One thing that hit me being a fairly big Beatles fan is I have never heard "I want to hold your hand" sang by Paul McCartney outside of the old original single and the Ed Sullivan
Show clip. Never on any concerts I have been to or other singing appearances he has had. He always seems to rotate fairly tight around the ones he played on the show tonight.

Just finished watching the 50 year Beatles tribute and thought it was pretty good. I thought it was odd they featured mostly the later music and not the early music. One thing that hit me being a fairly big Beatles fan is I have never heard "I want to hold your hand" sang by Paul McCartney outside of the old original single and the Ed Sullivan
Show clip. Never on any concerts I have been to or other singing appearances he has had. He always seems to rotate fairly tight around the ones he played on the show tonight.

I think he's limited by not having Lennon and Harrison around.

The impression I got (and always get from any Beatles tribute or retrospective) is their later music is considered their more "artsy", innovative, ground-breaking, vanguard work. Their raison d'etre. The music that inspired all those other musicians. So they always lean on that and gloss over the fun 1963-1964 stuff.

Their early stuff was considered then and still today (although people never actually mention it), their "bubble gum", Teeny-Bopper music. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Not "serious" stuff.

My favorite B songs are silly, funny, simple, down to earth ones (songs with Paul's signature all over and a few by Ringo).

I played for a while (bass) with a steel player who worked in Nashville with Johnny Russell, who wrote "Act Naturally". He'd been trying to make it in Nashville, but when Russell told him "boy, shine my shoes", that was enough. He came north and we had a western swing band :)

One more thing about that guy: we called him "Snaky Steve" (I don't recall his last name and wouldn't post it anyway).

He used to leave his steel at our apartment. When we dissolved the band, we asked him to play one more tune. He did: "Amazing Grace".

Last edited:
I had the news on this morning and it made me think of this chorus:

Well, the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my mind

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom