Feather Quill Pen

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone every made a flight feather quill pen? I plan on making one, for signing a charity groups name on the item giving to them for auction.

My son builds fishing rods but doesn't like to do the logo etc. so it got me thinking of doing some of the detailing, with a home made feather ink/paint pen.

The visual and style is one of a kind using primitive tools. Very unique!

Some interesting info and videos on making them.

audreyh1, yes works great! Video how too, was a great help with the the tricks to make it work like a modern pen does.

I made one this morning and works very nice. I have a lot of flight wing feathers from wild turkey. I just used latex white paint and worked very nicely. I will prefect with a real good turkey feather and will get a oil base paint for signage on these items. I have all kinds of feathers at the ranch cabin will bring some home.

They recommend turkey or goose flight feathers.

Last edited:
audreyh1, yes works great! Video how too, was a great help with the the tricks to make it work like a modern pen does.

I made one this morning and works very nice. I have a lot of flight wing feathers from wild turkey. I just used latex white paint and worked very nicely. I will prefect with a real good turkey feather and will get a oil base paint for signage on these items. I have all kinds of feathers at the ranch cabin will bring some home.

I'd be interested in what you find regarding latex vs oil based. Seems to me that latex has that surface tension (forms a big drop) that oils just don't have. I'd think they'd act quite differently (not necessarily better/worse, just different).

What were the bases of inks for these historically? I'd guess alcohol based, or maybe just water based?

-ERD50

Turkey flight feathers - those are pretty big feathers!

ERD50 >> I will need to get an ink product and research a little more on what type of ink to use on a fishing rod surface. Something for stainability in all conditions.

audreyh1 >> Just measured a fly feather from a wild turkey and it is 16" long. If right handed choice a left flight feather from the bird or vise versa. They have the curve and form to the hand perfectly, with weight and length design.

I think any feather will work if hollow. The turkey feather has about 4" of hollow with an opening at the top of the 4" hollow which serves as a ink well.

Flight feathers are interesting as they are asymmetrical unlike other feathers in a bird. Plus strong due to their critical role. Curved of course.

What species feather do you use?

I’ve heard from very knowledgeable sources that a Phoenix feather is the best. They say it’s properties are almost magical.

Last edited:
I like the movie "Kate and Leopold." It includes a scene in which the protagonist, accidentally brought forward from his past, makes a quill pen and writes a letter of apology and invitation to his new-found love in the current time. He makes it look easy, but I've always wondered if it were that easy.

My penmanship is atrocious so I'd probably never go to the effort - especially if there were any chance my writing would be LESS readable. Still, the romantic gesture in the movie was undeniable. Heh, heh, DW liked it too! Always a good thing to enjoy such fare with your significant other. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom