Feedback Re: Career Change

This is a really good time for a career change- the unemployment rate is so low that there are more positions than applicants. When unemployment is high, employers can be picky and wait for the perfectly qualified candidate. Right now, employers are having to accept employees without some of the resume items they usually require. My Mega has had several new hires accept the job and not show up for the first day- they got a better offer elsewhere.

I don't know what possessed me to think this was a good idea, but after nearly 30 years in law enforcement I decided to try something completely unrelated: a new car salesman. And with my uncanny knack for perfect timing, I started in April, 2008, just as the bottom was falling out of the economy.

I was a dismal failure, didn't sell a single car, and was fired about six weeks later. It stands out because that was the only job I was ever fired from. I was laughing as I left the parking lot.

if ya coulda hung on for "Cash for Cars" you'd be a rock star. Timing the market is good sometimes! :D

but you got a lot of free coffee

I didn’t change careers, but my best friend did. She was a marketing executive and couldn’t find a new gig after her company was sold and the HQ’s moved across the country when she was 54. She decided to buy a travel franchise and become an agent. So far she is enjoying it a lot, but it has been a huge cut in pay. I’m not sure if she will ever come close to what she was making before, but she is having a lot of fun and doing quite a bit more traveling than before. Luckily her husband has a very stable job so they can afford to invest in this venture and see how it works out.

She chose this particular career change because DH and I had considered it and I had talked with her about it before. We decided we just wanted to be retired and not have the stresses that come with owning your own business. And the perks travel agents get nowadays aren’t that appealing to us. But I guess the fact that we had been interested piqued her interest.

Back
Top Bottom