Finally won something!

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We don't waste money on lottery or scratch off tickets outside a few times as gifts... But we will help support different things buying raffle tickets. So when our new step Grandsons was selling school function fundraising tickets.... $20 for 5 tickets was done without a 2nd thought... Then a call from a strange number caught the wife by surprise.... She won $2600 in the 50/50... Met up with the coach in a Mcdonalds Parking lot and got handed a huge stack of $20s. Gave them $600 back....
But as an after thought, I wished I had but a box in the trunk, and after getting the money... looked around and quickly open up, toss in box in his truck and jump back in the car....

Congratulations

I wonder if you’ll get 1099’d for $2600?

That is awesome!!

That's fantastic!

Good for you for winning and good for you for giving some back.

I have often thought the same thing about a charity raffle . . . (Didn't win, so wasn't put to the test.)

My mother is a member of a few local social organizations (VFW, American Legion, etc.) that do daily and weekly drawings as a fund raising technique.

You go in each day and "drop a dollar" and sign your name on the list. At the end of the day, they draw a club member's name. If that person's name was on that day's list, they win a portion of the day's money. You must drop your dollar and sign up to win that day's drawing. If you didn't drop your dollar on that day, tough luck, and the prize money rolls over to the next day's drawing.

I was always teasing my mother for her "gambling addiction" because she would drive about a 10 mile route each day to drop her dollar for at least 2 of these drawings per day.

I stopped teasing her when she won a few months ago and came home with $4395. Mom got a W2-G form with her winnings to use on her taxes to report the income.

I've been to charity events where the winner donates their winnings back "to the cause." That's a great gesture. Everyone applauds.

But I always feel like it has a chilling effect. You'll never feel right to collect your winnings in front of everyone and walk away with it after that. So why even bother playing a game you can never win?

I've been to charity events where the winner donates their winnings back "to the cause." That's a great gesture. Everyone applauds.

But I always feel like it has a chilling effect. You'll never feel right to collect your winnings in front of everyone and walk away with it after that. So why even bother playing a game you can never win?

To support the charity - although personally, I would not enjoy making a grand public gesture.

Congratulations on the win.:)

We buy raffle tickets several times a year for various local groups. Never a win until last year when we won a set of new tires for the car. And we needed them too.

_B

Congratulations on the win.:)

We buy raffle tickets several times a year for various local groups. Never a win until last year when we won a set of new tires for the car. And we needed them too.

_B

That really worked out!

Congratulations!

I have never won anything, that I can recall. Maybe some day in the future. :D

We don't waste money on lottery or scratch off tickets outside a few times as gifts...
I wish I could say that. I have no estimate how much (but it's a lot) that I've donated to the State VIA scratch offs and lotteries.:confused: Well at least some of my "donations" have gone towards State schools/education and State veterans services. I guess I can look at it as donations for the good of State services. :)

Last edited:
I wish I could say that. I have no estimate how much (but it's a lot) that I've donated to the State VIA scratch offs and lotteries.:confused: Well at least some of my "donations" have gone towards State schools/education and State veterans services. I guess I can look at it as donations for the good of State services. :)

Well, except that you can't write any of it off as charitable donations- only offset any lottery wins with losses you can document.

My state has feel-good lottery ads featuring happy young people graduating from college and tells me how much of the money I'd lose would help them go to college.

Nope. I donate directly to an inner-city faith-based school that prepars kids for college instead.

I always tell people that a 50 / 50 is not true at all. It is more like 50 / 30 after taxes!

Back
Top Bottom