Financial Privacy

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Looks like everyone at the post office knows I had a transaction valued at $17,826.14 :LOL:

I don't consider this a big deal, but thought it might provoke some interesting stories from others here.

I've gone "open kimono" with my complete financial picture with several financial planners and didn't worry too much about it. But I think there are some folks that worry about such things.

Attachments

• address.JPG
    address.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 151
I've noticed that on my scans too, for some reason you can see inside a lot of envelopes...your government at work....

Isn't this more of a function of not using toilet paper to print the shipping address insert? I've noticed this on some things too, but if they have a more substantial cover sheet, scanning shouldn't pick up the contents. It hasn't on mine anyway.

I'd complain to Fidelity. Share the same .jpg with them.

Last edited:
I get all statements electronically through secure websites (I hope). I don’t print them out except for tax related statements.

I get all statements electronically through secure websites (I hope). I don’t print them out except for tax related statements.

Same here. Trying to limit mail and hard copy.
Of course, that presents the backing up of data issue discussed in another thread.

Point taken but if you do use the mail, you should except privacy from the postal system.

Big deal or not depends on what you think of a wardrobe malfunction :facepalm:.

I've noticed that on my scans too, for some reason you can see inside a lot of envelopes...your government at work....

Don't blame the government for companies that expose your information through the envelope window.

My local GIS mapping/tax records had the amount of my mortgage and the original bank on the property records site. I called and got it removed. They tried to tell me everyone had info like that but I’m pretty sure not everyone paid 40% down and it’s not really something I think should be public.

Don't blame the government for companies that expose your information through the envelope window.

Excuse me, I clearly said that stuff is visible through the scan of the envelope not the clear window. You can see stuff in envelopes that have no windows. It must have something to do with the scanning process...

And I'm not "blaming" anyone just saying I think they might improve the privacy of the scanning equipment.

Excuse me, I clearly said that stuff is visible through the scan of the envelope not the clear window. You can see stuff in envelopes that have no windows. It must have something to do with the scanning process...

And I'm not "blaming" anyone just saying I think they might improve the privacy of the scanning equipment.

I think the sender (Fidelity in this case) needs to improve the privacy of their envelopes.

If the postal scanners can 'see' through the envelope, anyone else can, I doubt they are using any super-secret spy cameras or anything, they might include UV, as I think the stamp cancel mark is UV sensitive to make it easy to detect fraud.

'Security' envelopes can be bought anywhere and have those squiggly camouflage type printing inside, makes it near impossible to see anything inside.

-ERD50

I think the sender (Fidelity in this case) needs to improve the privacy of their envelopes.

If the postal scanners can 'see' through the envelope, anyone else can, I doubt they are using any super-secret spy cameras or anything, they might include UV, as I think the stamp cancel mark is UV sensitive to make it easy to detect fraud.

'Security' envelopes can be bought anywhere and have those squiggly camouflage type printing inside, makes it near impossible to see anything inside.

-ERD50

That's a fair point and sometimes I think it's as simple as the settings on the scanner the PO uses. To be clear, I can take an envelope out of my mailbox and see nothing and the same envelope in the scan reveals the writing inside the envelope. Just an oddity of modern times, I guess.

That's a fair point and sometimes I think it's as simple as the settings on the scanner the PO uses. To be clear, I can take an envelope out of my mailbox and see nothing and the same envelope in the scan reveals the writing inside the envelope. Just an oddity of modern times, I guess.
No, it's configuration. I'm guessing they run such volumes that rescannig isn't an option. So they jack the camera lights up.

No, it's configuration. I'm guessing they run such volumes that rescannig isn't an option. So they jack the camera lights up.

Can't you just picture the big back room full of scanners and klieg lights looking at all our mail..Does anyone want to start a business selling "scan"proof envelopes:LOL: I suspect companies will probably work something out to protect their clients...

Isn't this more of a function of not using toilet paper to print the shipping address insert? I've noticed this on some things too, but if they have a more substantial cover sheet, scanning shouldn't pick up the contents. It hasn't on mine anyway.

I'd complain to Fidelity. Share the same .jpg with them.

Great idea! I hope you do, OP.

Can't you just picture the big back room full of scanners and klieg lights looking at all our mail..Does anyone want to start a business selling "scan"proof envelopes:LOL: I suspect companies will probably work something out to protect their clients...

This has been going on for years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/us/postal-service-confirms-photographing-all-us-mail.html

Excerpt: "The Postal Service on Friday confirmed that it takes a photograph of every letter and package mailed in the United States- about 160 billion pieces per year- and occasionally provides them to law enforcement agencies that request them as part of criminal cases."

The old hold a letter under a light trick.

NOT saying that I ever did that :angel:.

Those envelopes might violate Fidelity's customer privacy rules.

Your words were "your government at work...."

Nice how you took four words out of that entire comment...you left out the part where I clarified my thinking...I think you are heading to my ignore list..Nice knowing ya....

Nice how you took four words out of that entire comment...you left out the part where I clarified my thinking...I think you are heading to my ignore list..Nice knowing ya....
Just an observation: since we are a collegial civil community, we can ignore anyone we wish to. And no one need know. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom