Gmail Alternatives if Privacy is a Concern

MercyMe

Recycles dryer sheets
A recent privacy issue with my Gmail account got me to thinking about all the information they likely have about me and my family. So now I'm looking for a better way to do email. I've found three options and wanted to get some input from E-R forum members.

Option 1 is to set up a domain name and hosting account where I can have as many email addresses as I want. With this option, I guess the hosting company could theoretically view my emails. It will cost $12 for the domain name and $5 per month for the hosting. With this option I worry a bit about how well my sent messages will be delivered. I don't want my messages in the spam folder's for family, friends, and doctors.

Option 2 is to use an encryption provider such as SecuremyEmail which appears to be able to encrypt Gmail messages end to end so even Google can't read my emails. The cost is free for one Gmail account but a few bucks per month for more than one.

Option 3 is to get email from a company like ProtonMail which is $120 per year. They are supposedly a very privacy-oriented company but their reviews online aren't great.

Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. Is there something else I should consider for email if privacy and getting away from Google are the motive?

I have used protonmail for two years. Happy with it.

Have used protonmail for nearly 4 years and like it very much. There are a few authentication options and even the lower tier subscriptions come with proton drive, calendar and a password app. I mostly like that this is their only business and they take their security very seriously. I do all of my financial and health business on protonmail and use gmail for all the other noise.

Have used protonmail for nearly 4 years and like it very much. There are a few authentication options and even the lower tier subscriptions come with proton drive, calendar and a password app. I mostly like that this is their only business and they take their security very seriously. I do all of my financial and health business on protonmail and use gmail for all the other noise.

+1 on using protonmail for financial and health business
I use gmail for family and utilities, yahoo for online shopping

#1 recommendation based on experiences: Protonmail. They can do custom domains if you wish, have ProtonVPN, ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and apps for Apple/PC/iOS/Android phones. The encryption and security of your data cannot be beaten unless you know how to host services yourself.

Online reviews by magazine websites and influencers are paid for by their clicks/referral fees they generate. Give them little of your time.

Try signing up for free trials. Proton is happy for you to demo their wares.

Please avoid anything Gmail, Microsoft 365, Yahoo, or Apple related. None of them have privacy like the Swiss do w/Proton.

I've been using the free version of ProtonMail for several years and love it. I get less spam than I did with Gmail. Furthermore, I also enjoy using Proton Pass and Proton VPN, both for free.

several years ago I did your option 1) getting through Godaddy. I bought my own URL and use them to host email. I have not setup any webhosting. I do use their MS office outlook email package. No issues with receiving or sending email. It's nice to be able to create endless email addresses and aliases.

I've been using the free version of ProtonMail for several years and love it. I get less spam than I did with Gmail. Furthermore, I also enjoy using Proton Pass and Proton VPN, both for free.

I have a free account there too, no issues. Not my main account though.

several years ago I did your option 1) getting through Godaddy. I bought my own URL and use them to host email...

Yeah, GoDaddy recently eliminated their free (with Domain name) e-mail options and now charges a monthly subscription for M$ Outlook mail hosting, for each e-mail address. No thanks! I switched all my domains to an ISP which still includes free mail hosting.

Back
Top Bottom