Finding Nasty RV Leaks

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In researching RV maintenance issues while waiting for a right class C to come along, I have found that class Cs are notorious for leaks in the cab-over front section, particularly the front window. A couple of forum members also have problems with roof or side leaks in their class A.

I happened to find out about this equipment called Sealtech that RV service centers may have. It pressurizes an RV so that leaks can be found the old-fashioned and reliable way: with soap bubbles. See video. This blower sits inside the RV. It makes so much sense.

YouTube - RV Leak Test

In the auto engineering biz, we used to spend a lot of time finding and fixing body sealing leaks . We used a huge blower that input air through an aluminum plate that replaced a side window temporarily - held with trusty duct tape. You can find a lot of leaks simply by wetting your hand and moving it over suspect areas. Another trick that worked well is to use a theatrical smoke generator inside and watch for the smoke as it exits. One can also use a stethoscope that just has an open hose leading to the earpieces. The leaking air makes quite a noise when amplified. I've never seen the soap trick, but it looks like a good one. Cars typically have something called an air extractor at the rear that is a big one way flapper valve. If you don't plug it, all your air will leak out there.

This is a great way to diagnose a wind noise problem that is driving you crazy. On a fairly tight vehicle, you can block the air extractor and just use the heater blower motor to pressurize the vehicle.

In the auto engineering biz, we used to spend a lot of time finding and fixing body sealing leaks . We used a huge blower that input air through an aluminum plate that replaced a side window temporarily - held with trusty duct tape...

T-Al probably has wheels spinning in his head right now, thinking how he can rig up something to find the leak in his Echo, as described in another thread :D

T-Al probably has wheels spinning in his head right now, thinking how he can rig up something to find the leak in his Echo, as described in another thread :D

Yea, I picture T-Al in the truck with a smoking cigar while his DW looks for smoke exiting the trunk area. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom