First Cars & Fond Memories

Can't find the actual pic, but mine was a 67 SS396, 4 spd, just like the one below, except with a black vinyl top and black interior. I wore out the wide ovals after about 3k mi. Unlike 73ss454's national pic, my races took place on Mamaroneck Ave, NY; Goats were delicious for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Most of my racing was done on the street also. The craziest place I ever saw for street racing was known as Connecting Highways in Queens NY. Thousands of spectators lined the street but were way above the cars that were 3 a breast down lower. I can remember going there on Friday nights and one time I actually had my headers open and M&H's on the rear. Don't know what I was thinking but it was a lot of fun.

Does anyone remember Connecting Highways?

I actually just googled it and found some info.

Connecting Highway Tribute

I knew about it, but never raced there. We also used to block off the Sprainbrook Parkway and race. I remember my buddy, who had a 427 L88 Nickey Camaro, went home one night from there in handcuffs; it was hard to outwit the police radios; that scarred the hell out of me.

First car was a Ford Taurus 1989:

1989_FORD_TAURUS_128786_op_800x600-ucc.jpg

Oh yeah... No fond memories...

My first car at 14 a 1956 Chevy 4door sedan. Factory 265 PowerPack 4 bbl carb , mild cam, dual exhaust. Since I couldn't license it until I was 16, we use to ride around the fields and woods with it. By time I could legally drive it was trash, so I bought a 1964 Corvair Greenbrier. Was a better van than a Split-window VW bus, because it had a 6 cyl motor. Of course no self respecting Hippie would drive anything but, a split-window VW bus, so I had a 1963 deluxe forest green and white, traveled the entire country at age 21 in that bus.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end,
those were the days oh yes they were the days.

My parents gave me their 150000 mile 67 impala in 1973. Great car, but it limped along for only a few months before I traded it in on a 74 Nova. I missed that impala - it could fit 4 guys and 4 girls (back then).

My parents gave me their 150000 mile 67 impala in 1973. Great car, but it limped along for only a few months before I traded it in on a 74 Nova. I missed that impala - it could fit 4 guys and 4 girls (back then).

I once had four girls and three guys in a 1976 Duster four speed. Shifting was fun. My first car was a 1967 Dodge Monaco two door HT. Not bad but I killed the motor.

You all had some serous hot rods! 73 you know I LOVE those pics, they are fabulous and I love the memories of racing. Oh I wish I could have been around in those days. Too cool.
My only cool car was a 70 Caddy I bought when we were both 30, but by then you are too old to be dangerous.

My first car was a 1968 VW covertible .

I'll take the yellow Bug, please! It's a classic. I learnt to drive on my Dad's VW Beetle, but I have never owned one.

I'm pretty sure Mazda GLCs were what all the cool USNA mids were driving in 1981. $6100, although I had to pay extra for a passenger's windshield visor. It's the only new car I've ever bought.

It went to Spain, Amsterdam & Germany (don't ask), the Azores, across America, and to Hawaii. 113K more miles on its own engine, including some very innovative repairs of the duct-tape and hose-clamp variety, before we reluctantly sold it in 1993.

Attachments

• First car-- 1981-- cropped--retouched.jpg
    First car-- 1981-- cropped--retouched.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 6
My first car was a 1970 Plymouth Duster that I bought in 1973 and it had about 70,000 miles on it and much of that had been cross country as the owner was from Ohio. I drove it for 12-13 years and sold it after buying a new car. It was red and had some damage on the rear, but it got me where I wanted to go and for the most part was reliable. I don't miss it and wouldn't want to still have it around.

It was similar to this one, but mine had a black interior which was sure miserable when it was hot.

70ply52506-1.jpg

While my first car was the Corvair, my favorite car was a 1985 Chevy Nova - the American made Corolla (joint venture with Toyota). I would still have it today had the young 'un not been run off I35 in North Austin.

While my first car was the Corvair, my favorite car was a 1985 Chevy Nova - the American made Corolla (joint venture with Toyota). I would still have it today had the young 'un not been run off I35 in North Austin.

I had the 1985 Corolla, the model with a hatchback. Loved it and drove it for 14 years!

I had that same car (1985 Chevy Nova/Corolla) and interestingly enough, I was in Austin too when I had it! You're right, it was a great little car. I bought mine used from a retired Col. at Bergstrom AFB, with 50k miles on it. When I sold it, it had 220k. I did have to have a little transmission work done on it at about 190k.

My first car was a '67 Ford Custom 500, a hand down from my folks. It had a 289 cu.in. engine, NO AC, NO radio, NO power steering, NO power brakes, NO automatic trans. In fact, it had a three-on-the-tree shifter and a 3 speed manual. Definitely not a luxury car..but I'm here to say I put a zillion hard miles on that car. I put a hurting on that poor beast but she kept on ticking. However, the REAL fun I had with her...I can't talk about on here! :)

My first car I bought with my own money was a 1966 corvette convertable. I paid $6,000 and my dad thought I was nuts. But I drove the crap out of it and sold it years later for $8,500.
I bet you wish you still had that car. You could probably add around 40K to that $8500 you sold it for.
The rear suspension and drive line on those old Vettes was a trip.

My first car was a 1972 Maverick. Many, many fond memories. :)

Here I am at 16 standing in front of my car with my daddy. The pic is kinda fuzzy...like my memories.

Attachments

• myfirstcar.jpg
    myfirstcar.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm guessing showing up at the dealership wearing only your underpants was a negotiating tactic?
Why, no, I might have been... blackballed!

I don't have any photos of me driving "my first submarine".

When I finally got a driver's license, the second car in the family was a 1962 Chevy Belair, three-on-the-tree, 283-2 barrel, with a whopping 160hp, similar to this pic, but it was a "two door post"...

Later drove a 66 VW, then bought my first car, a 70 V-dub.

Attachments

• 1962_Chevrolet_Bel_Air.jpg
    1962_Chevrolet_Bel_Air.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 3
The first car I learned to drive was an old Comet with three on the column (second gear was going out) and a clutch that was way past its useful life. The wiring on the blinkers was crossed and it took me years to learn up is NOT left and down is NOT right. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom