For the woodworkers

photoguy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We visited the wife's family this past thanksgiving and during the trip her mother wanted to pass down some family furniture. This coffee table was made by her grand uncle for her aunt, and then was passed on to her mother (when the aunt died).

I'm really impressed with the workmanship. I can't figure out how he made the table top -- the wood pieces are all unique, there are no gaps, and some would require cuts at very sharp angles. Whenever I've cut wood for projects, I've never been able to obtain sub millimeter precision -- not even close.

Attachments

• IMG_20161126_133839.jpg
    IMG_20161126_133839.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for sharing. Amazing details.

We visited the wife's family this past thanksgiving and during the trip her mother wanted to pass down some family furniture. This coffee table was made by her grand uncle for her aunt, and then was passed on to her mother (when the aunt died).

I'm really impressed with the workmanship. I can't figure out how he made the table top -- the wood pieces are all unique, there are no gaps, and some would require cuts at very sharp angles. Whenever I've cut wood for projects, I've never been able to obtain sub millimeter precision -- not even close.
Is it possible the table top is veneer (look at the underside of the table). If it is veneer then the veneer is likley less than 1/8 inch thick and can be cut with a good scissors, giving greater cutting flexibility.

That table is incredible. I agree-top could be veneer. I've never worked with veneer, but from what I've seen, it wood be a little easier to make with veneers rather than with thicker pieces.

Probably used several types of thin veneer and did the cutting with a straight edge and very sharp razor blade. Not sure if that was done as an inlay where you usually cut a pattern first then scribe it on the work surface. Maybe start with one big piece of veneer cut to the size of the table top and lay the pattern out then cut the prices, then you can use the cut pieces to duplicate on different types of veneer. In any case I'm sure it took a long time, probably more artwork then woodworking.

In looking at this I discovered that for furniture like the above table there is a term
Marquerty that covers it defined as: "
Definition of marquetry

1. : decorative work in which elaborate patterns are formed by the insertion of pieces of material (as wood, shell, or ivory) into a wood veneer that is then applied to a surface (as of a piece of furniture)"

If you are interested, marquetry is done with very sharp knives and/or saws with essentially no kerf and very thin blades. Plus a lot of patience. In my youth I did a bit, I am too impatient to enjoy it, too much like knitting.

He was quite an artist in veneering.

I sleep in a bed made by my grandfather for my mother, and he was an artist with a lathe. And I ended up with his whole woodworking shop which I cherish--and all his wood. I have a walnut timber 4" x 14" by 12' from a tree he felled in the 1930's.

Thanks for the info -- I had no idea there was a specific term for this type of work. We don't have the piece on hand but we will pick it up when we drive to visit at christmas (we flew this time). MIL also has a sister piece, which isn't in as good shape due to children (DW and her brother).

However it was done, that table is beautiful!

In looking at this I discovered that for furniture like the above table there is a term
Marquerty that covers it defined as: "
Definition of marquetry

1. : decorative work in which elaborate patterns are formed by the insertion of pieces of material (as wood, shell, or ivory) into a wood veneer that is then applied to a surface (as of a piece of furniture)"

Yep - and I'm fairly certain that they get precise cuts by cutting one piece of veneer first, then use that piece as a template for cutting adjacent pieces. Gluing sawdust into cracks is another trick to make the seams look seamless.

Beautiful work.

This probably doesn't apply to this particular table, but marquetry is also being done by woodworkers with amazing precision with todays laser cutters. I own one of these laser cutter/engravers (small biz out of my home) and it can cut to hundredths of a millimeter precision.

You can take a bit of a shortcut and buy the marquetry pieces on various types of backing, from veneer all the way up to 3/4" stock. Several online sites to just browse, choose, and order from.

I ordered a circular one a few years ago in veneer and glued it onto a 1/4" ply backing:

28787-albums201-picture1418.jpg

And then used that to inset into the top of a navigation table on a sailboat I was refitting:

28787-albums201-picture1419.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 20
If you are interested, marquetry is done with very sharp knives and/or saws with essentially no kerf and very thin blades. Plus a lot of patience. In my youth I did a bit, I am too impatient to enjoy it, too much like knitting.

I thought that the OP table might be a really high end chipboard. :facepalm:

Just kidding.

That is definitely marquetry.
Pieces of veneer are overlaid, and then cut with very sharp instrument, like a razor. That's my guess.
I would cover that with glass. It is a valuable heirloom and collectable.

I thought that the OP table might be a really high end chipboard. :facepalm:

Just kidding.

Actually, it isn't uncommon to put work like that on a high quality 'chip-board' (MDF - medium density fiber board).

MDF is more dimensionally stable with humidity, so makes an excellent substrate for veneers.

-ERD50

Great work from original poster and I always enjoy the talent of wood workers. Nice job. I just wanted to share a few carvings I do when I have some extra time. These are all hand carved I don't use electric tools etc. I use knives hand gouges etc.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25012&stc=1&d=1480688350

I don't know how to rotate picture so very sorry.

Nice! Now that I'm down in FL with the cypress swamps I've been thinking of trying my hand at carving a few cypress knee wizards. I doubt they'll be as good as yours, though.

Nice work, real art in my opinion. I work with a CNC router and dabble in the woods... limitations, but super accurate...

IMG_20160824_153440.jpg
IMG_20160911_193811.jpg
IMG_20161029_165416.jpg
Phone case from maple
Acrylic desk for DD
Porch swing from 3/4" birch plywood

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom