Free all you can eat Crab Legs

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So my son and I go to the grocery store and they are trying to sell King Crab legs. They have cooked up a bunch of them and asking folks to try them. However, not too many people are eating them. My son loves crab meat, so while I continue shopping, he just eats and eats and eats.

When I get back to him, the seafood manager is giving him a container of hot crab legs to take home with him.

We didn't buy any crab legs.

As I've always said, you won't be eating cat food in your old age if you can get yourself to a grocery store that gives away goodies.

What goodies have you eaten for free at the store?

I've never seen the free crab legs but jumbo shrimp, cheese, grapes, granola bars, and olives are pretty common.

A trip to Costco fills me up. Juice, soup, chicken salad on crackers, chips and salsa, and candy for dessert. Sometimes they have some tea or coffee to wash it all down. :D

So there you go: From now on, we can't say, "You'll be eating cat food." Instead, we will have to say, "You'll be eating at Costco."

When we visited Oregon a couple weeks ago, and while in line at Voodoo Donuts in Portland an employee came out with a tray of several huge "Texas Challenge" donuts (they say they are 6 times the size of the typical donut). They made too many of them, so she was out giving a few away and we took one and shared it while we waited in line.

What goodies have you eaten for free at the store?

HEB where I live in Texas provides various tasters of cheese, cakes, chips and dips most times that we go there.

A couple of weeks ago here in England we were enjoying a pot of tea at a small cafe after a long walk. The owner came around with a tray of fruit scones offering them for free as she had made them too small. Very nice.

Don't you get decent food at most annuity pitches? :). Also time share presentations.

Don't you get decent food at most annuity pitches? :). Also time share presentations.

Just attended a timeshare pitch in Orlando. Got donuts, juice, milk for 4 and $100 amex debit card. Just say no and buy resale if you r truly interested. It was 90 minutes, but it was rainy out.

Local grocery stores only put out miniscule taste test samples.

When we volunteer at a Legion or VFW or a local ethnic club, we usually get excess cooked leftovers and sometimes extra unused meat and bread to take home with us. We only take what has not been set out, i.e. it has been kept hot or cold in the kitchen. :D

Having to put up with an annuity salesman is :nonono: free.

Same with a timeshare sales presentation - I don't recommend it unless you know you can say "no". No free lunch as one can place a value on time, but DW had a few questions about our timeshare purchase via resale. Of course the sales guy slanted the responses to their benefit.

I don't think a free annuity or timeshare lunch would work for me. Having to sit through those presentations would spoil my appetite.

So my son and I go to the grocery store and they are trying to sell King Crab legs. They have cooked up a bunch of them and asking folks to try them. However, not too many people are eating them. My son loves crab meat, so while I continue shopping, he just eats and eats and eats.
Does DS like the comic strip Blondie? It's one of my favorites, Dagwood is always hungry. BLONDIE

Last edited:
No Costco here and no free samples in any of the local grocery stores. Of course I mainly frequent the med aisle.

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 149
No Costco here and no free samples in any of the local grocery stores. Of course I mainly frequent the med aisle.

What? You don't take an opener, pop a cap to sample, and put the empty back in it's sleeve for recycling?

What? You don't take an opener, pop a cap to sample, and put the empty back in it's sleeve for recycling?
:)

While I worked in a supermarket during my college years I saw something similar. One day I rounded the corner and looked up the aisle to see a kid give me a startled look, quickly stick a jar of something back on the shelf and take off running.

When I investigated I discovered he'd sampled a jar of peanut butter, leaving a perfect imprint of his upper teeth in the divot.

I don't think a free annuity or timeshare lunch would work for me. Having to sit through those presentations would spoil my appetite.

I agree, whatever they give you isn't worth a session with Guido "The Closer"

Last edited:
Fancy cheeses, sandwich meat, cantaloupe, peach, strawberry, cake, cookies, sushi, tapenade, cheese spread, hummus, bread, etc. At a fancy grocery store in a fancy high rent district near me. I can't ever get full off of the samples, but I have seen a number of very young slender (attractive!) females pigging out on those samples. I figure they are strapped for cash and can't afford dinner because they live in the high rent district, or they are operating under the hypothesis that any calories consumed while standing up do not make you fat.

I had a co-worker relate her cheapness to me one time. It consists of going to the deli, and asking for a bunch of sample slices of meat. Make a decision on what kind of meat or cheese you want. Then order a 1/4 lb of some item. Ask for a sample slice. Then say, "no a little bigger", and eat that sample slice. Then say, oh, "maybe a little smaller". Then when they cut it just right, eat your third sample slice.

Last edited:

We've done it, but the rubber chicken wasn't worth the onerous sales pitch. We don't bother anymore, we're not that hungry!

We've done it, but the rubber chicken wasn't worth the onerous sales pitch. We don't bother anymore, we're not that hungry!

Walt was speaking of annuity pitches at free luncheons, but I feel the same way about free samples in supermarkets. I just want to finish shopping quickly and get out of there. It's not worth having to stick around to eat them and hear about them, plus usually the free samples are calories that I don't need. :blush:

And then often the free samples at supermarkets here are samples of alcoholic beverages (amazingly enough), and I don't drink so don't want them.

Last edited:
We usually shop at BJs hours before the samples come out. When the samples are out, I sometimes will try something, but am not too fond of "manufactured" food heated in the microwave. It always tastes kind of fake-y to me; maybe it's the preservatives.

Now, I will listen to an annuity pitch if it is at a fancy restaurant (as a few of them have been). I have even learned a few things from those talks. Cannot resist asking questions about fees, etc. that they were probably hoping nobody would ask :LOL:

I actively resent skimpy, stingy samples that are so tiny, you can hardly tell what they taste like. I consider that cheating. Don't brag about your free samples if you aren't gonna deliver the goods! Goes for lots of things in life :LOL:

Amethyst

Our local supermarket Publix spotlights a different recipe every week . They have cooking demonstrations of the recipe and give samples . It's usually a small amount but it let's me gauge if I want to try the recipe .

Well it sounds like the consensus is that spending money on a Costco membership is a better deal than annuities or time share pitches.

Now this next suggestion requires me to dress up more than I'm I'd like but it does include free booze, along with some other uh benefits.

Wedding Crashers - Theatrical trailer - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom