Funny Reaction to ER Announcement!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My ER was announced last Fri. I run a $100M/yr manufacturing plant, today we have our insurance carrier in for their annual loss prevention audit. It's two seasoned engineers representing the carrier.

I stop into one of the meetings to see how it's going and one of my Dept Mgrs has just told the visiting engineers I am retiring in a few months unbeknownst to me (I had planned to tell them in the closing meeting). The lead engineer who I barely know turns to me and says:

'Well congratulations! But I want to ask you, I have known quite a few people who retired with lots of plans for retirement and they have really found it enjoyable. I have also known a few who had no plans, and they were dead within 6 months. So, what are your plans?'

OMG! [In my head, I am laughing hysterically at this point...]

I say, 'I still have more than 2 months to go, and it's too soon to go into the details. Plus I don't want to interrupt the audit.' There are 8 people we are holding up.

Lead engineer says, 'so you have no plans?'

I "suggest" they resume their meeting.

I kid you not. Happened about 3 hours ago and it still makes me chuckle. It didn't bother me in the least, I really thought it was hilarious...

What a jerk.

Don't worry about it - - obviously he can hardly bear the fact that you are able to retire, and he isn't right now. His envy is so transparent.

If it helps, I had no specific plans when I retired, and I am still alive after 17 months. Will wonders never cease. :rolleyes: Retirement is like an endless Saturday or vacation (only better). If you don't have a hard time dealing with Saturdays or vacations you will be fine.

Last edited:
What a jerk.

Don't worry about it - - obviously he can hardly bear the fact that you are able to retire, and he isn't right now. His envy is so transparent.

If it helps, I had no specific plans when I retired, and I am still alive after 17 months. Will wonders never cease. :rolleyes: Retirement is like an endless Saturday or vacation (only better). If you don't have a hard time dealing with Saturdays or vacations you will be fine.

+1.....and still alive after 4 years :)

------------

I also wonder if a sizable chunk of the people who die soon after retirement (allegedly those "with no plans") might already have been sick and therefore didn't make any plans?

omni

omni

My ER was announced last Fri. I run a $100M/yr manufacturing plant, today we have our insurance carrier in for their annual loss prevention audit. It's two seasoned engineers representing the carrier.

I stop into one of the meetings to see how it's going and one of Dept Mgrs has just told the visiting engineers I am retiring in a few months. The lead engineer who I barely know turns to me and says:

'Well congratulations! But I want to ask you, I have known quite a few people who retired with lots of plans for retirement and they have really found it enjoyable. I have also known a few who had no plans, and they were dead within 6 months. So, what are your plans?'

I say, 'I still have more than 2 months to go, and it's too soon to go into the details. Plus I don't want to interrupt the audit.' There are 8 people we are holding up.

Lead engineer says, 'so you have no plans?'

I kid you not. Happened about 3 hours ago and it still makes me chuckle.

I had a similar experience.

The week after I retired we took a cruise. We sat with a couple approximately our age (I was 58 at the time) and he could not believe I was retiring without concrete plans to work or to do "something". I said I had all sorts of hobbies and interests and would have no problem in occupying my time but he kept talking about people dying after retiring because they had no plans. He brought it up several times during the cruise - got to the point we avoided them.

Six years later I'm still alive, have 99.9% less stress, and wake up with a smile on my face every day.

Oh, and I now have a plan - to keep on doing what I've been doing for the past 6 years. :D

I had a similar experience.

The week after I retired we took a cruise. We sat with a couple approximately our age (I was 58 at the time) and he could not believe I was retiring without concrete plans to work or to do "something". I said I had all sorts of hobbies and interests and would have no problem in occupying my time but he kept talking about people dying after retiring because they had no plans. He brought it up several times during the cruise - got to the point we avoided them.

Six years later I'm still alive, have 99.9% less stress, and wake up with a smile on my face every day.

Oh, and I now have a plan - to keep on doing what I've been doing for the past 6 years. :D

People don't want to hear stories like yours. That would make them hate their jobs even more. If the choice is either working or dying, well I guess working doesn't sound so bad after all!;)

Oh yeah! You read it too!!

I checked with my doc and he verified on my left toe that my expiration date is 30 yrs out...he also mentioned that if I do not have anything planned, there is a risk of dying 3 years 5 months early...

I'll take my chances...:D

My plan was to do nothing, and so far I have been very successful! However, I am working on trying to do it even better! :)

I am so happy for you , Midpack! You are SO close. Just 2 more months!

And to the others who already ER'd, each of you continues to be such an inspiration to me.

The lead engineer who I barely know turns to me and says:

I swear, if he said that to me and I had any liquid in my mouth, I'd spray it all over him and ruin his suit! :ROFLMAO:

I have a plan: I plan to do nothing.

I have been ER'd for 2 months and so far the things that I have been doing were not planned. Somehow, they just came and I have to attend to them.

I just say I am planning to spend my pension on blow and hookers.
They usually don't ask again after I tell them that.

I guess none here have a sense of humor.... heck, I would hassle someone that was retiring soon also... it does not mean you are envious...

I talked to one of my BIL the other day... asked him how retirement was going for him (about 6 months into it).... he said 'this is hard work'... I was a bit taken aback... he said 'all the stuff you kept putting off... you now do not have an excuse'... my sister said he had not fixed the sprinkler system in years... and she had buried a few of the sprinkler heads (one under a big stone)... he has been fixing it for a few weeks... the list is getting longer from what I hear...

I talked to one of my BIL the other day... asked him how retirement was going for him (about 6 months into it).... he said 'this is hard work'... I was a bit taken aback... he said 'all the stuff you kept putting off... you now do not have an excuse'... my sister said he had not fixed the sprinkler system in years... and she had buried a few of the sprinkler heads (one under a big stone)... he has been fixing it for a few weeks... the list is getting longer from what I hear...

I have a list to do and my excuse before retirement was "I don't have time to do it".

After ER, my excuse is "There will be plenty of time to do them later".

Incidentally, I "lost" the list on a recent hard drive crash, but DW found a backup on another drive.

People don't want to hear stories like yours. That would make them hate their jobs even more. If the choice is either working or dying, well I guess working doesn't sound so bad after all!;)

:clap::ROFLMAO:

I had lots of people tell me that I would be bored . I answered "That after forty years boredom sounds good ".:)

Time to pull out my reminder for those that think you should stay employed:

Attachments

• WhyRetire.gif
    WhyRetire.gif
    60 KB · Views: 267
After three days of it (as in my case above), it would simply mean you are obnoxious. :)

I think you have to expect it when you first announce... heck, we used to kid the people who were retiring at normal age....

You probably get it if you are real young and retire (like Nords... heck, what DOES he do all day :ROFLMAO:)

But I do agree that after a few shots, it should be dropped...

I like that story, Midpack--per the visiting engineer, either have plans and enjoy retirement, or have no plans and die within 6 months. Which path to choose?

I would have pointed to the In Memoriam list in the company newsletter and said, "I'm on Plan C: Not to die while still working, like these poor folks!"

That would've made Mr. No Plan = Death think!

Amethyst

I like that story, Midpack--per the visiting engineer, either have plans and enjoy retirement, or have no plans and die within 6 months. Which path to choose?

I look forward to having nothing to do and all day to do it. I'm sure I won't even finish by the end of the day.

I look forward to having nothing to do and all day to do it. I'm sure I won't even finish by the end of the day.

And that will be just fine, because you'll have all day the next day, and the day after, and the day after that..... :D

I tell you, this ER thing is seriously underadvertised. It is SO much better than I ever dreamed or imagined it could possibly be. Goonie came closest to describing ER as I have experienced it, when he called it "endless days of play".

:dance:

I kid you not. Happened about 3 hours ago and it still makes me chuckle. It didn't bother me in the least, I really thought it was hilarious...
Funny story Midpack. I had a similar comment right after I announced about how I'd die soon after retiring if I did not have big plans. I said I don't think that applies so much to someone at 55.

Back
Top Bottom