Gas/Oil Mixture in Car

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've got a problem I need a quick solution for. My chainsaw isn't running right, and I need to determine whether it's because the gas is too old. But to buy new gas, I need to get rid of the old stuff (one gallon).

The gas has been mixed 40:1 with oil. Can I put it in my car? Some people say it's not good for the car.

Any other suggestions?

Add a cup of denatured alcohol, put it in the car.

Save the old stuff. If the saw runs fine on new, mix the old back in a little at a time. It would probably run fine on up to a 25% mix of old, maybe more?

-ERD50

The problem is that I have no can to save the old stuff in.

I tried a neighbor's gas/oil mixture and had the same problem, so unless his is bad too (from the humid climate) there's something else wrong with the saw.

I'll research it more in the wood heating forum. Thanks for the help.

Add more oil, and use it on your slide. As long as you aren't playing too fast it shouldn't combust. ;)

Harley

I mix a lot of 2-cycle mix (lawn boys, string trimmer, and chainsaw) and dont think that I ever had 2-cycle mix go "bad"...even storing mix for the chainsaw over winter...maybe double check that you mixed the gas and at the right mix;)

Al,
...Most homeowners are keeping a couple gallons handy in case their mortgage gets even more upside down and they need to start an insurance fire.
Jeff

Turn the chainsaw upside down over your oil catch container and empty out the gas,save the gas until the next time you change your oil in the car, just let the old oil and gas mix together and pour it all in the container the new oil came in,then take the container of old oil and gas to your local auto supply store for recycling.

Why in the world would you want to put it in your car?

Most communities have a facility for disposing of old motor oil and gasoline. Don't risk putting it into your car.

Dump it out back... in your neighbor's lawn.

Make some maltov cocktails for the 4th.

Use it as starter in the fire pit

Fill up water balloons and throw them at said fire pit

Use it to start a fire on a bunch of old tires

Get some flame-retardant clothes and play hollywood stuntman

Soak some rags and store them next to the oil in the basement, next to the gas water heater. Collect the insurance money and move to somewhere with better surfing conditions.

Has the saw been sitting around for an extended period of time with the gas still in it? The carb may be gummed up.

Right. No, I drained the gas, and it's only been a month or so.

In any case, I got the chainsaw running again, so the gas is A-OK. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but I fished out the fuel filter, and took it apart. It looked fine. I put it back in, put gas back in and it works OK now.

I went on vacation to New Orleans for a week - apparently storms blew a few more big branches in the back yard and in my two wooded lots across the street down.

Cussed at the saw before squeezing the gas bulb at least five extra times(than recommended) and it started right up.

I think - I was off on the original mix cause it ran kinda smokey.

heh heh heh - :cool: Lucky to fire it up 2-3 times a year.

This question came up with Click & Clack (car repair radio show and column). They said don't do it, the 2-stroke oil is bad for the catalytic converter. I have no idea if they're right.

I always put Stabil (a fuel stabilizer) in the cans for mower, chain saw etc. even if I'm pretty sure I'll use the fuel before it goes bad. And things that don't get used often like the chain saw I'll run dry. I might use it next month or maybe it'll be two years.

I always put Stabil (a fuel stabilizer) in the cans for mower, chain saw etc. even if I'm pretty sure I'll use the fuel before it goes bad. And things that don't get used often like the chain saw I'll run dry. I might use it next month or maybe it'll be two years.

Yep - me too - same stuff. Try to rum em before winter sets in.

heh heh heh - :cool:.

Gas does start losing octane as it gets older, even after just a few months and can eventually turn into a pretty much uncombustible mixture if it gets really old. I've dumped 2 cycle gas/oil mix into my truck tank several times over the years, and she's still ticking. I wouldn't do it all the time, and also probably not any really big amounts, but the small amount you're talking about want hurt anything. I did it recently.

I have done it with an old truck with simple carburetor and no cat.

I also did it with a Rabbit with fuel injection and had to have the injectors serviced. Never did it again. :)

Ha

I've been getting rid of 50:1 oil mix at the end of the season for years by putting it in the tank of my car or truck with no ill effects I've ever noticed. I also run my 4 cycle lawn mower on 50:1 with no problem if I run out of straight gas.

The no-no, of course, would be to try running your 2 cycle engine on straight gas. That would only last a few minutes! ;)

This question came up with Click & Clack (car repair radio show and column). They said don't do it, the 2-stroke oil is bad for the catalytic converter. I have no idea if they're right.

I was having problems starting my atv. The dealer told me to run Stabil in it year round. It worked wonders. Now I'm running it in the boat, mowers, chain saws, etc.

Has the saw been sitting around for an extended period of time with the gas still in it? The carb may be gummed up.
Right. No, I drained the gas, and it's only been a month or so.
In any case, I got the chainsaw running again, so the gas is A-OK. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but I fished out the fuel filter, and took it apart. It looked fine. I put it back in, put gas back in and it works OK now.
Some two-stroke oils already contain a fuel stabilizer, but I don't know if that applies to your brand, Al.

I had a weedwhacker go bad with similar symptoms, but the cause was plastic fuel lines that had gradually gummed up and become too restricted to let the fuel flow. The plastic pumping bulb no longer did its thing. I cannibalized an old weedwhacker for two lengths of tubing and re-used the fuel filter, but I've seen fuel-bulb/line overhaul kits at Lowes & Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom