Gas vs Electric Clothes Dryer?

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our electric dryer isn't working well. It may be getting close to time for a replacement. The laundry room is set up for either. Should I go with gas?

With local electric and gas rates the calculator on this page suggests about a 2 year payback for the additional cost.

https://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

I see no reason to go with electric if gas is already available

My son just asked this question. He's remodeling and building a new larger utility room. Current dryer is electric and is giving him some problems so he'll buy a new dryer. Running a new gas line would actually be a bit cheaper than running the electric line to the new room. Google searching shows gas to be cheaper to run than electric. Plus if he's running on his 20KW generator it'll be less load on the genny. So for him he'll go for gas.

Another thing to consider is asthma, I am switching my appliances to electric to avoid the pesky fumes.

Wondering why your dryer “isn’t working well”. Make sure your vent pipe is clean and the lint inside your dryer is cleared out.

I like my gas dryer and it is cheaper to run gas, however, I seem to worry about having a lint fire more so than when I had an electric dryer. Maybe not a legitimate concern, but it just seems the flame is more likely to start a fire than an electric element. Probably best to keep either type cleaned out on a regular basis.

Another thing to consider is asthma, I am switching my appliances to electric to avoid the pesky fumes.

Products of combustion get vented outside. There should be no natural gas or combustion fumes from a gas appliance emitting inside the house.

Products of combustion get vented outside. There should be no natural gas or combustion fumes from a gas appliance emitting inside the house.

Are you sure about that? The combustion system in a dryer doesn’t seem isolated like my furnace which has a separate pipe for intake and exhaust. My guess would be that the natural exhaust of a dryer could expel a lot of the combustion products but not all. Probably way better than a gas stove but not as good as a sealed combustion on a furnace.

Are you sure about that? The combustion system in a dryer doesn’t seem isolated like my furnace which has a separate pipe for intake and exhaust. My guess would be that the natural exhaust of a dryer could expel a lot of the combustion products but not all. Probably way better than a gas stove but not as good as a sealed combustion on a furnace.

If the vent is installed correctly, all exhaust goes outside. If not, one could die of carbon monoxide poisoning. With respect to gas fired appliances, it's entirely possible that *some* products of combustion are lost and not expelled. But they are not designed to have that happen.

Anything is possible. I'm just stating the fact that gas appliances are safe if installed and used correctly. The same goes for electric dryers, which I currently have in my new house. If I was stupid and tapped the 240 V circuit to run my big air compressor rather than run a new line, I could set up a situation where I could burn the house down.

Random link but it lists clothes dryers as being a source of carbon monoxide https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/air/toxins/index.html

Context.

Yes, it is a source (because it burns gas!), but as stated, if working properly, it will all get vented outside, it won't contribute CO to inside your home.

In fact, it should reduce CO in your home, as it is sucking in air and expelling it. So any CO created by, say a gas stove (which isn't vented), will be part of the air the dryer is expelling, and will be replaced with fresh air (that naturally leaks into your home).

Added safety point: In addition the the comments that you must make sure your dryer exhaust is clear, so it exhausts w/o backup - you must also be sure there is a source of make-up air for the dryer.

Our dryer is in a 'mud room' hall between garage door and hall into the home. It has an air register/vent in the wall that connects that small room to the rest of the house. I realized that is so that if both doors are closed to the mud room, the dryer still can get air.

If you look at building codes, a gas dryer, furnace, water heater will all need exposure to X cubic feet of room air. If the rooms are too small, some kind of vent to the outside is required. I've thought about adding a vent in that room to the outside, so it isn't sucking conditioned air when the heat or AC is running, but it's not convenient, and the next owner would wonder what the heck this register with a cover plate is for.

-ERD50

Something to look up, does your local utility offer a rebate for gas? Ours offered rebates for gas appliances. That said, we've had electric for years as gas was not available. Seems gas is not typical here in Florida.

In a new community now (also in Florida) that has gas and it's our preference. It was actually a key buying point for us vs other communities that did not have gas.

I have 61 years experience line drying cloths.

I prefer solar over gas/electric.

I'll stick with electric though gas is available in the furnace room next to the laundry room.

And used electric dryers are a whole lot cheaper than a new gas dryer (wouldn't trust used)

It's mostly a personal preference issue, perhaps swayed one way or the other by the local utility rates. We have all NG appliances but paradoxically here in WV (one of the major gas-producing states) NG is not widely available in this area. For now anyway gas is much cheaper to run but slightly more expensive to buy the appliances.

I've had both but really preferred a gas dryer when I had the option. Also preferred gas heat and gas hot water heater. These days in many places, it can be difficult if not impossible to get an electric rate that doesn't involve time-of-day and/or demand charges. We live in an all-electric home now and it's annoying to have to check the time when you want to dry a load of clothes.

I will be considering this when I go to replace my washer/dryer. Expensive yes (Although it is a replacement for both units, it's still expensive), but I think it will get cheaper in the next few years. Would I do it at this price, I'm not sure. Something to check out though.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Applian...r-Dryer-Combos/Heat-Pump/N-5yc1vZc3otZ1z1dtqi

but won't it take longer to do laundry since you cant start the next wash load until the first load is dry?

We have a gas dryer but are relocating our laundry room to an upstairs place and decided to go with electric since the gas line would cost $1000.

One of the selling points of our house is that the laundry room is upstairs. It’s a smart move not to have to take laundry up and down the stairs. That basically sold us on this particular house.

One of the selling points of our house is that the laundry room is upstairs. It’s a smart move not to have to take laundry up and down the stairs. That basically sold us on this particular house.
Definitely laundry upstairs... we've had two story homes for most of our life.... and the buying point of the new home was it was a ranch. We are now set for our sunset years without the worry of steps. Only stairs now are in the garage to a huge storage attic, which also was a key buying feature. [emoji39]. Wife prefers gas for cooktop and additional benefit of gas besides the dryer was tankless water heater, also gas.

A benefit I have found is in summer, especially here in FL is having gas keeps us from hitting the next, and much more costly, rate tier for electricity. Def makes gas a much less costly option for sure.

I am used to gas. Propane these days. If / when it needs replaced I will go gas again. I don't think we have a 220 volt outlet in there.

No gas for me. I’d prefer to be all electric, put solar panels on roof to offset costs. Fossil fuels aren’t sustainable and if there is a malfunction, I’d rather deal with a fire then an explosion.

The new house we’re having built is in an all gas neighborhood but we had the plans altered for electrical appliances and got a credit of a couple hundred dollars. Am a big fan and user of solar driers (clothes line) as long as the weather cooperates.

I think gas vs electrical is a personal choice and whatever feels safest to the homeowner.

Back
Top Bottom