Gas prices 2017

I have to use premium. I last paid $2.99 but I think it went down to $2.97. Regular is around $2.28. I will never buy a car that requires premium again.

I have to use premium. I last paid $2.99 but I think it went down to $2.97. Regular is around $2.28. I will never buy a car that requires premium again.

I assume you've tired regular? Modern cars will typically run on regular even if they have been designed to run on premium. You do lose some performance, but should not experience knock or actual engine damage. For $.60/gal, I'd give up some performance, all else being equal. Of course, YMMV.

I assume you've tired regular? Modern cars will typically run on regular even if they have been designed to run on premium. You do lose some performance, but should not experience knock or actual engine damage. For $.60/gal, I'd give up some performance, all else being equal. Of course, YMMV.

I have tried it and the engine does knock with anything under 91 octane. If it was just performance then i'd use regular but I don't like the knocking sound so I use the 91.

my car cost $70,000, why would I want to ruin it? the bigger question is why no one complains about the extra profit put on premium. Independent stations in my area have a 40 cent spread from reg to premium while chains run 65 or 70 cent spread. Those companies feel, and rightfully so, that people who buy premium don't look at the price of it, just the advertised price of regular. one person complaining won't do much...I bought gas in Tellico Plains Tenn last weekend. $1.99 regular and $2.98 premium!

Long ago, as a second job, I pumped gas in a fairly high-income town. Believe me, there are people who would rather pay more, just to prove they can afford to. I still see people fueling up at a station that charges ten cents a gallon more than the one across the street. Makes no sense now, made no sense then.

BTW, in another odd job, I worked on a heating oil truck. The terminal we got our oil at also sold gasoline. Every morning I'd see trucks with every different gas station logo, all lined up to get gas from THE SAME tank. If you think your favorite brand is "better" because it costs more, swing by and I'll show you the line.

I can see why Teslas are popular in high gas price states.

Gas in W. PA 2.49 this morning (regular)...but we have two small refineries in our end of the state, so our gas is "fresher"!!!

Like Blue Collar, I've only used about 2 tanks of gas this year so far!!!

And like Capt Tom...I see tankers at the refinery all the time from all different gas station names, so yes it appears it all comes out of the same tanks....! Maybe they add additives to the tanker, but I don't think they have enough storage tanks to hold the gas that leaves that refinery, for every different company!!

my car cost $70,000, why would I want to ruin it? the bigger question is why no one complains about the extra profit put on premium. Independent stations in my area have a 40 cent spread from reg to premium while chains run 65 or 70 cent spread. Those companies feel, and rightfully so, that people who buy premium don't look at the price of it, just the advertised price of regular. one person complaining won't do much...I bought gas in Tellico Plains Tenn last weekend. $1.99 regular and $2.98 premium!

I'm sure you wouldn't want to ruin a $70K car. Nor would I want to ruin my $1K car. But "modern" cars have knock detectors which retard the timing if knock is detected. The down side is that you give up performance and probably some gas mileage if the timing has to be retarded. Now if your car does knock on the cheaper fuel as aaronc879 states, then you should stick to the overpriced fuel to protect your car's engine.

Regarding the fuel being overpriced, that's between you and the fuel seller. If it were me (and of course, it is not) I'd try the cheap stuff and see if the car knocks. If it doesn't then you will not be ruining anything but the gas seller's day by switching. Obviously, YMMV.:)

Y 2.ou guys are so Lucky. In California, name brand gas is in the $3+ range.

Only at Costco, are the prices lower. ie. $ 2.48 last week.

Back
Top Bottom