Gas prices are going up fast

Quite a few stations around here raised prices 30 cents yesterday.

I have not been filling up recently, and just found out that the lowest price in my area is $3.96. I don't have a plan to make an RV trip, but that's not because of the gas price.

The class-C motorhome has a tank of 55 gallons and delivers 8 mpg. To repeat the 10,000-mi trips to Alaska or to the Canadian Maritimes would cost at least $6K each.

Quicken shows me that since buying the motorhome 10 years ago, I have spent $16K for fuel. That was not too bad.

I am sure the high fuel cost will find its way into all other living expenses. I can afford the higher prices, but a lot of people will get hurt. Nowadays, I don't drive much. My concern is how badly the world economy will get impacted. We will have to wait and see.

Higher gas prices are making home delivery more attractive. We've done some Instacart in the past and may do more of that. We used the free delivery service from Bed, Bath and Beyond a couple of times recently. That seemed cheaper than driving even with adding in a nice tip.

Most of our regular errands our within 5 miles of our house so most of our gas spending has been for entertainment, like going to parks and concerts in other cities. However, we live near a commuter train station and are getting old enough for senior passes. The cost of gas going up and the train fares going down for us is making events near the train stations looking a lot cheaper these days than having to drive to events. We'll probably start going out as much as we used to with the pandemic winding down, but just do more that is closer to home or along the train lines.

We have thought about getting an electric car and solar panels. So far the ROI hasn't been there yet but with energy prices going up maybe that will change.

Make sure you are tipping the drivers. Their gas isn't cheap either.

Back from favorite coffee shop visit and rag chewing with the usual suspects, from next town 15 miles or so away, with my 12 MPG suburban. Don't care about gas prices.
14 years ago was using the very same 99 suburban to move stuff from Baltimore suburbs to current house in western PA, weekly round trips around 500 miles+, gas was over $4 per gallon. Did not care then and don't care now.

In other news, Europe shafted themselves by pushing the green agenda, shutting down the German Nuke plants and becoming dependent on Russian hydrocarbon energy. In addition the US president's dropping support for the EastMed gas pipline just adds to their dpendences on Russian gas supply. Oh yeah, the Russian gas pipline runs though the Ukraine.

Carry on.

As someone who doesn't travel much and owns a car that gets a good 30 MPG, it's easy to say, "meh" but that does nothing to alleviate the cost of diesel...it's running a good $1 more per gallon than gasoline. As we all know, almost all of our consumer goods are delivered in vehicles that use diesel. If inflation wasn't bad enough, this is sure to push it up even more. Oh, and I am sure we will start seeing gas surcharges again.

The price of gas would have to go up a lot more to really impact my annual budget in a substantial way. I figure that I use around 300 gallons per year, on average, which means even if it goes up a whole $2/gal from here, I'd only be spending $600 more. And while $600 isn't nothing, it's a pretty small amount in my annual budget.

Having said all that, I'm sure that if gas did go up another $1/gal or more, I'd naturally cut back on driving somewhat, so it's self-correcting problem to some degree.

If the gov't were seriously interested in reducing oil consumption they would lower the speed limit. Remember the 55 mph national speed limit in the late 70's and early 80's? No I'm not advocating this, just pointing out the hypocrisy of our leaders.

I have to disagree. The 55 mph limit is exactly the kind of government over reaction that does more harm than good. Why? Because it assumes everybody's driving needs and reasons are the same. Forcing everybody to fit one group's personal style is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
To some extent, this time really is different in that regard. Today, people have legit options in the form of electric vehicles. Their popularity was already growing rapidly. I see them on the road all the time, more than ever. Most major auto producers have already announced their plans to ramp up production and that was unrelated to rising gas prices.

I don't know that people will proactively dump their gas cars, but when the time comes to buy the next one, they may more seriously consider electric.

I don't know if a lot of people are ready to go out and buy an electric vehicle that probably isn't in stock and if it is, will pay more than the MSRP for it.

Also, there are a LOT of folks out there that aren't in a position to just go buy an electric car and/or something more economical. It's a bad deal.

Quite a few stations around here raised prices 30 cents yesterday.
I filled up yesterday morning and when I drove past 1.5 hrs later it was up another 30 cents. Yikes! Bracing for later in the week/month/?. Glad everything like groceries, hardware stores, etc. are less than 3 miles.

Cheers!

I have to disagree. The 55 mph limit is exactly the kind of government over reaction that does more harm than good. Why? Because it assumes everybody's driving needs and reasons are the same. Forcing everybody to fit one group's personal style is a recipe for disaster.
I completely agree, but it would reduce oil consumption.

I don't know if a lot of people are ready to go out and buy an electric vehicle that probably isn't in stock and if it is, will pay more than the MSRP for it.

Also, there are a LOT of folks out there that aren't in a position to just go buy an electric car and/or something more economical. It's a bad deal.

Depending on what you buy. At least one manufacturer says the price is the price. Order your vehicle from the internet/sales room and pay exactly the same price as everyone else.

I'm pretty happy with the model Y we bought in 2020. It gets most of the driving unless, like today, it's snowing then I'll drive DW's Rubicon. If I charge the Y completely it holds about $4 in electric and goes 300 miles. After 11k miles I have paid $12.37 for electricity outside our home. The Wrangler only get driven during the winter or on forest service roads the rest of the year. It's kind of weird going between the vehicles; the Wrangler doesn't do anything when I talk to it, and it's stupid to have to start/turn off the engine.

I completely agree, but it would reduce oil consumption.

Would it? Perhaps if we all drove the same way for the same reasons. But, we don't. When we had the 55 mph limit years ago, it forced me to drive my Honda in 4th gear rather than 5th gear overdrive. Driving 55mph in 5th gear made the engine lug, so I had to drive in the less efficient 4th. Thus, the car consumed more gasoline.

I think individual people and organizations will make the best choice overall. If the goal is to reduce oil consumption, there are better ways to do that without forcing what works for me onto others. And visa-versa.

Depending on what you buy. At least one manufacturer says the price is the price. Order your vehicle from the internet/sales room and pay exactly the same price as everyone else.

I'm pretty happy with the model Y we bought in 2020. It gets most of the driving unless, like today, it's snowing then I'll drive DW's Rubicon. If I charge the Y completely it holds about $4 in electric and goes 300 miles. After 11k miles I have paid $12.37 for electricity outside our home. The Wrangler only get driven during the winter or on forest service roads the rest of the year. It's kind of weird going between the vehicles; the Wrangler doesn't do anything when I talk to it, and it's stupid to have to start/turn off the engine.

It sounds like the Cybertruck is next in your future.:)

I'm taking off on a campervan trip in around 10 days, and hope to make it to several Western states over the course of a month or two. I'm lucky if I average 10mpg, but heck if I'm going to let high gas prices stop me. Besides, by the time I get out of California and to neighboring states, the gas prices will be what they were in California a month or two ago. It will be like being back at home :LOL:

As for my daily travel, that's all done on a bicycle, so I won't be affected. I am currently dealing with a historically high bicycle repair bill though. The parts cost me all of $50. Highest bike repair bill I've had in a few years :)

Last edited:

I wonder if the Rivian SUV would not do even better in snow. It has 4 motors, one for each wheel, that are individually controlled to do "tank turns". Rough on the tires, but not in mud or snow.

Luckily being retired, we don't need to drive that much. I had an almost two hour round trip work commute, about 50 miles each day.
We primarily drive our Camry Hybrid around town now.

Still remember the Oil embargo 1973, I believe. Long gas lines snaking down the road, "Odd" or "Even" days to be able to fill the tank. No gas to be had some days.

I will pay $4 or more per gallon, if needed.

The Feds have other ways controlling fuel consumption, to an extent. They have fuel economy standards for cars and trucks, and impose fines if an auto maker doesn't meet the CAFE number (Corporate Average Fuel Economy). You don't hear about it much these days, but it was a big deal in the 70's and 80's. It's probably the main reason cars have fuel economy estimates on the window sticker these days.

No driving changes for me even though when I filled up (sort of) the truck the other day, it cost me $100. The truck has a 33 gallon tank and takes premium. The pump cut off when it hit $100... I had heard that some gas credit cards would only allow you to pump $100 at a time but never experienced it "personally"... When I drove away I noticed the gas gauge only showed about 3/4 full :).I guess I could have ran the card through again but that was enough gas for another ~250 miles.

Years ago, when gas prices were high, my boss got a new large vehicle possibility it was a Yukon. He had the pump cut off at $100.

He said it was the pump setting, not the CC , and was a safety feature to prevent issue if a pump somehow got stuck on while a person went to the can/shopped inside.
If he told the person inside the booth he was going to pump a lot, they could turn off the feature for that pump.

I wonder if the Rivian SUV would not do even better in snow. It has 4 motors, one for each wheel, that are individually controlled to do "tank turns". Rough on the tires, but not in mud or snow.

One of the car magazines (Car & Driver) tested the Rivian truck for a long period and beat the living hell out of it off road. I recall reading the article at the dentist's office last week. From what I remember, all that went wrong was an axle joint failed at some point. Here's the review:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a38904754/2022-rivian-r1t-launch-edition-by-the-numbers/

Years ago, when gas prices were high, my boss got a new large vehicle possibility it was a Yukon. He had the pump cut off at $100.

He said it was the pump setting, not the CC , and was a safety feature to prevent issue if a pump somehow got stuck on while a person went to the can/shopped inside.
If he told the person inside the booth he was going to pump a lot, they could turn off the feature for that pump.
You may be correct, it sounds reasonable... All's I heard is that some would cut off at $100... Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they said it was a CC feature or the pump.

Yeah, I can remember back in the day when pumps would shut off once you hit a certain amount. Often, as low as $75!

I'm just anal enough, that I keep pretty good fuel mileage logs, and enter the data into an excel spreadsheet. On 5/11/2011, I filled up my 1967 Pontiac Catalina. 93 octane, $4.299/gal. It shut off at $75.00.

Looking through my records, I see I hit that $75.00 limit again on 6/23/14. Same car, although this time gas was down to $3.849. I forget how big the tank is; I want to say either 25 or 26 gallons. I've never hit the shutoff limit with any of my other antique cars, but none of them have tanks that big.

I have a 2012 Ram, which I think has a 28 gallon tank, and it calls for 89 octane. I know I've hit the $75 limit once or twice with that. But when gasoline was getting expensive, I'd often start filling up around the half-tank mark, and put 93 octane in one time, and 87 the next, figuring the mix would be around 89-90, and it would actually save a few bucks, since 89 was priced closer to 93 than to 87.

I guess they still have a cutoff these days. I just haven't experienced it lately. But considering it just cost me almost $50 to put about 12 1/2 gallons of 87 octane in a 2003 Regal, I imagine I'll be experiencing it, soon!

$3.99 today here in NE. Fla.

Yup just filled up today at $4.01 regular in Tampa.
Still travel 30-40 minutes one way 6x weekly to play Pickleball. Gas prices be damned.

Not if it's a full size pickup like advertised. While it would fit in the garage it's too big. I traded my full size GMC in on the Y first time I haven't had a pickup in 30 years and I appreciate the smaller vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom