George H.W. Bush Passing

41 was a class act... probably one of our most qualified presidents in terms of background and experience... a stellar public servant and an awkward politician. He will be missed.

+1.

Bush was good friends with Sonny Montgomery a MS congressman here. When he passed in the mid 90's he attended his funeral in my hometown. He was so upset with his passing, he couldn't speak at the funeral and Barbara said a few words for him. Pretty amazing a man with his background and experience could be so moved that he couldn't speak at the ceremony. He was truly a genuine person.

I rarely watch 60 Minutes, but last nights interviews with GWB, Obama, and Clinton regarding GHWB was impressive, both with the additional background of GHWB and the way the former presidents all articulated themselves.

I hadn't realized GHWB's contributions after the Berlin Wall fell and the end of the Cold War. Instead of taking a victory lap and rubbing Russia's nose in it, he said "we still have a lot to do with them" and took the high road... the Cold War ended with a whimper instead of a bang.

I did not know much about George H.W. Bush, until I read about his plane being shot down in Chichijima, then him being rescued by a submarine. Not all downed US airmen were so fortunate...
Yes I was unaware of his being shot down and rescued while the rest of his crew perished. So typical of the man's humility. RIP

Fair winds and following seas, shipmate.

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

Attachments

• D27140BC-8614-425A-B9A6-A0FEFDB44665.jpeg
    D27140BC-8614-425A-B9A6-A0FEFDB44665.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 34
I heard the same from secret service agents when we took a White House tour several years ago. DW asked them who their favorites were. And they remarked how personable George and Barbara were.

Some of the old heads at the "PAG" (Presidential Airlift Group) aka Air Force One were very impressed with how they carried themselves...very personable, polite, just good folks to be around.

Last edited:
This might be of some interest to some of the younger members (like me that haven't been around to see a funeral train), but Bush will be transported by train on the final leg of the trip (Houston to College Station). The last President to have a funeral train was Dwight Eisenhower in 1969. The Union Pacific website press kit has a lot of interesting information about the locomotive, the rail cars, and other stuff that I found to be fascinating.

The picture posted is the locomotive that will lead the train. It's painted to resemble Air Force One and has been in storage in North Little Rock, Arkansas since 2012 for this occasion.

https://www.up.com/media/media_kit/bush41/index.htm

Attachments

• img_up_media_4014_bush_cab_mr.jpg
    img_up_media_4014_bush_cab_mr.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Bush was an iconic leader of his times and will not be forgotten.

A President, that conceived a President, 41 and 43. Crazy to think about. Political Dynasty more like it.

This might be of some interest to some of the younger members (like me that haven't been around to see a funeral train), but Bush will be transported by train on the final leg of the trip (Houston to College Station). The last President to have a funeral train was Dwight Eisenhower in 1969. The Union Pacific website press kit has a lot of interesting information about the locomotive, the rail cars, and other stuff that I found to be fascinating.

The picture posted is the locomotive that will lead the train. It's painted to resemble Air Force One and has been in storage in North Little Rock, Arkansas since 2012 for this occasion.

https://www.up.com/media/media_kit/bush41/index.htm

Incredible.

A President, that conceived a President, 41 and 43. Crazy to think about. Political Dynasty more like it.

There was also the Adams Family (John and John Quincy, not Gomez and Morticia).

-ERD50

What is particularly unusual about 41 and 43 is that their terms were only separated by 8 years... given that HW was 22 when W was born.

The beginning of John Quincy Adam's presidency was 28 years after his father was president.

There was also the Adams Family (John and John Quincy, not Gomez and Morticia).

-ERD50
A nice little touch of humor to a somber topic. :)

We used to live fairly close to where Bush lived in the Houston area. Specifically, we belonged to the same church and went to the same grocery store.

One time there was a Bring a Friend event at the church and everyone was encouraged to bring a friend to a service. I didn't do it, but I recognized one day I surely wasn't going to beat any competition (not that there was one) for best friend brought to church. There was a photo. George Bush (who was president at the time) had brought Margaret Thatcher....

One day DH went to the grocery store. He left his check book in the car and was going to go out and get it. Someone with Secret Service stopped him at the door and told him that if he left he couldn't come back in. Why? President George Bush was currently in the store doing grocery shopping. DH decided to use his credit card to pay and stayed in the church.

Basically George and Barbara were there doing shopping (the store was about 5 minutes from their home). George was pushing the cart. And, yes, he did actually know how the grocery scanner worked....

41 was a class act... probably one of our most qualified presidents in terms of background and experience... a stellar public servant and an awkward politician. He will be missed.

100% agree. Nicely said.

took the high road.

"Taking the high road" seems to have been his normal mode of operation.

I've really enjoyed the documentaries about him tht aired the past couple of days. I thought I was paying attention during his presidential years but there seems to have been much going on with and about him that went over my head at the time.

Last edited:
He was a good, decent man. He was a good politician and an outstanding civil servant.

And although not a great president, I never once worried that he wasn't always doing what he felt was best for the country.

We often drive guests to see his family compound in Kennebunkport. And we always think nice thoughts about him.

The flags in our area are all at half-mast now. RIP.

Being a Texas resident (Houston area) and an avid sports fan, we would often see George and Barbara (on TV) sitting directly behind homeplate at the local Astros ballgames. Apparently he loved the hotdogs at the games too.....:) I once saw him in person at a Rockets basketball game presenting some awards to local servicemen.

He certainly got around. Here's an article and picture of George and Babe Ruth way back in the day.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/george-hw-bush-met-babe-ruth-in-1948/c-301340278

Last edited:
We used to live fairly close to where Bush lived in the Houston area. ,,,,

Basically George and Barbara were there doing shopping (the store was about 5 minutes from their home). George was pushing the cart. And, yes, he did actually know how the grocery scanner worked....

I recall that story at the time. Not too long ago, I saw this from snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bush-scanner-demonstration/

During a photo opportunity at a 1992 grocers' convention, President George Bush was "amazed" at encountering supermarket scanners for the first time.

Rating: False

... One of the exhibits Bush visited was a demonstration of NCR’s checkout scanning technology, an event New York Times reporter Andrew Rosenthal turned into a chiding front page story about Bush’s lack of familiarity with the details of ordinary life in America:....

Then the details of the story started to dribble out. Andrew Rosenthal of The New York Times hadn’t even been present at the grocers’ convention. ...

And Bob Graham of NCR, who demonstrated the scanner technology for President Bush, said, “It’s foolish to think the president doesn’t know anything about grocery stores. He knew exactly what I was talking about.” ...

I guess "Fake News" isn't new?

-ERD50

My sister and a friend ate breakfast with the Bush's at the Marriott Camelback Resort one morning. She said he was most gracious and just the nicest man. She said Mrs. Bush was absolutely hilarious.

And he was completely familiar with the politicians in our southern state and what was going on in an election year there.

I suspect many have already seen this but it's worth posting for those who may have missed it.

Bush's service dog (Sully) last visit.

thanks for posting the actual video. i had posted a link a few days ago, but it was ignored as far as i could tell.

To me the Bush's are like the next door neighbor type people. I don't know them but seem like I have and just seem like old friends. Seems odd but it is how simple and common they appear to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom