Getting Things Done system

I am very impressed with Remember the Milk. It can integrate with Gmail, such that I can have my todo list on the Gmail screen:

Gmail.jpg

It also integrates with iGoogle and the Google calendar.

I use a reminder list for my own projects, but spouse and I also have a "Honey-Do" list to [-]nag me[/-] remind us of impending tasks. These are mainly semi-annual or longer things like "vehicle safety inspection", "passport expires", "check water heater anode rod".

I don't sit at a monitor with my spouse to review the list. Usually we'll go out to a fast-food place to relax with a printout and a discussion over food & drinks.

Years ago I used CalendarCreator, which allowed you to print out a text list as well as an actual calendar. Unfortunately I stayed with v1.0 so long that I couldn't upgrade to v5.0.

I abandoned CC and re-typed my list into Outlook's Task List. It printed out a 12-point-font list of one-line items in a fairly compact format. "Unfortunately" I no longer use Microsoft Office or Outlook on any of our computers, so I've stopped using that list too.

Mozilla finally added a printer driver to Lightning. Unfortunately it still doesn't print out 12-point fonts with the individual tasks on one line.

Today I'm using Google's task list. But it also prints out big fonts with lots of white space between the lines.

Does anyone know of a scheduling program that's fairly mainstream (perhaps free?) that prints out single-line tasks like Outlook's Task List?

Does anyone know of a scheduling program that's fairly mainstream (perhaps free?) that prints out single-line tasks like Outlook's Task List?

This is what a printout from Remember the Milk would look like (true, more space than necessary -- but printing is so 70s):

printed.jpg

The more I use it (it's free) the more I like it.

Last edited:
I don't need any organizational software, my wife tells me what to do, and whatever she says needs to be done now is what I do...........:)

This is what a printout from Remember the Milk would look like (true, more space than necessary -- but printing is so 70s):
Pretty much the same as Google.

I'm leery of getting attached to a freebie that's abandoned a year or two later.

And printing is '70s, but I'm not going to bring an iPad to a dinner date...

Pretty much the same as Google.

I'm leery of getting attached to a freebie that's abandoned a year or two later.

And printing is '70s, but I'm not going to bring an iPad to a dinner date...

You must be loads of fun on a dinner date, if you absolutely must spend time reading your "to do" list while on the date. :)

OK, I goofed. I checked back earlier in the thread and you said fast food. Still, even if it is fast food, I'd think that possibly digestion might go more smoothly with some light conversation....

Last edited:
You must be loads of fun on a dinner date, if you absolutely must spend time reading your "to do" list while on the date. :)
OK, I goofed. I checked back earlier in the thread and you said fast food. Still, even if it is fast food, I'd think that possibly digestion might go more smoothly with some light conversation....
It's just a holdover from the good ol' parenting days... how soon we forget.

At home we used to have a very busy daughter underfoot, along with all the other distractions around the house. The only way to have a serious quality grown-up spousal chat was to hire a sitter and flee, even if it was just to the corner Taco Bell. Going over "the list" would take 10-15 minutes, and it'd be an interesting conversation-starter about life and plans and other subjects. Especially other subjects that didn't involve the workday or co-workers or our chains of command.

Today if we want to have a really fun & romantic dinner date then we don't even have to leave our empty-nester house. We also don't have to have it in the dining room!

Can I assume all the folks that are actively contributing to this thread are type A personalities? :facepalm:

Just my observation (as a confirmed type B :LOL: )....

Today if we want to have a really fun & romantic dinner date then we don't even have to leave our empty-nester house. We also don't have to have it in the dining room!

Woo hoo! It's really great to have that freedom once again, I know. :D

I'm old-fashioned and boring. I use post-it notes. Plus I can throw them away and just start over the next day. (or a 12-month calendar for the really important events)

Back
Top Bottom