Going to a banquet need your opinion

Also, pantyhose never bothered me. I like seeing my legs in 'em. Fortunately, this will not likely be an issue for street.

street most likely does not mind seeing women's legs in pantyhose. ;)

I have a simple rule for dressing up: Wear what DW picks. I am terrible with "event appropriate" cloths. My normal way of picking cloth by "hang order" on the closet rod doesn't quite work for any event.

Also, pantyhose never bothered me. I like seeing my legs in 'em. Fortunately, this will not likely be an issue for street.

I hated pantyhose the first time I wore them when I was 13. But I wore them a lot, especially square dancing, which I did a lot in my teens.

Get a nice pair of jeans and wear with a collared shirt. My dress-up limit is nice blue jeans, button-up collared shirt and sport coat - no tie, no slacks. If I can’t get by with that then I don’t belong at the event.

I wore suits with ties at my kids’ weddings and that was the end of that.

I still remember my first ever cruise. For the formal dinner, I put on my suit, and thought that I was doing good.

As soon as I left the cabin and approached the common area, I felt underdressed. Many men were dressed up in tux! Dang!

In the most recent cruise a few years ago it was less formal, and I did not feel out of place with just a dinner jacket. Even though I have my own tux now, it's better to travel light and not have to bring along so many clothes.

My cruise with the Domaine Chandon Winery 26 years ago was the last dress up cruise I went on. Blue blazer, white linen pants, and docksiders. Ms G said she couldn't tell me from the ships staff. But I really had a great time.

The last cruise we went on was in 2019. Regent Seven Seas, which is a pretty traditional line with an older clientele. During the day, everybody ran around in very casual clothes.

For dinner, I wore dressy frocks, high heels, hose, and jewelry, required or not, because I like them. Mr. A. wore a business suit jacket and leather shoes. No tie. We got smiles, and no fishy looks.

I saw no men in tuxes, even on the fancy photo-with-the-Captain night. I think most men wore a dinner jacket with regular slacks to dinner. I saw a few ladies in full-length gowns, mostly for dancing, but that was rare. It really was about looking how you want to look, and not obeying outdated "rules."

I still remember my first ever cruise. For the formal dinner, I put on my suit, and thought that I was doing good.

As soon as I left the cabin and approached the common area, I felt underdressed. Many men were dressed up in tux! Dang!

In the most recent cruise a few years ago it was less formal, and I did not feel out of place with just a dinner jacket. Even though I have my own tux now, it's better to travel light and not have to bring along so many clothes.

The cruise lines have relaxed a bit. On formal nights, a tux or dark suit is suggested. We will be on a 15 day cruise with 3 formal nights. I take one suit,2 shirts and 3 ties;)
I do remember the days when there was formal, semi formal, and casual. My late wife and I used to mark up the trip calendar to figure what we needed to take.
The take on all of this, is as a retiree, my attire is basically t-shirts and shorts in summer, and t-shirts and Dockers in winter.
However, if we are going out or visiting, a collared shirt is added.

I'm going to agree with many others, Street, and say that a collared shirt and nice pants and appropriate (but comfortable!) shoes are in order here, and maybe a light jacket or nice sweater I think jeans might be just a leeeetle too informal - how about khakis? They are light and comfortable and appropriate for many occasions...

The last cruise we went on was in 2019. Regent Seven Seas, which is a pretty traditional line with an older clientele. During the day, everybody ran around in very casual clothes.

For dinner, I wore dressy frocks, high heels, hose, and jewelry, required or not, because I like them...

My wife stopped wearing hose long ago. Her legs are still in good shape, and her dresses do not expose much.

Legs in good shape do not prevent me from wearing hose with a dress :) I don't understand some women's antagonism toward panty hose, unless they are being forced, by some dress code, to wear them. I do not like dress codes, or any other "forced by society, not by good sense" behavior.

My wife stopped wearing hose long ago. Her legs are still in good shape, and her dresses do not expose much.

Well, I got a plan for what I'm going to wear. It will be pants and a puller over dress shirt and a light cardigan sweater.

I very have been much for dressing up but I like nice causal new fade cloths.

I really do appreciate when lady's wear dresses thou. So, dresses up is appreciated and there is some value in doing so.

Thanks for the opinions and you made me think about it more clearly.

Street, I don't know what state you are in but if it's Texas, you can wear your best cowboy hat too!

You'll look fine. Have fun at the banquet with your friends.

Well, I got a plan for what I'm going to wear. It will be pants and a puller over dress shirt and a light cardigan sweater.

Legs in good shape do not prevent me from wearing hose with a dress :) I don't understand some women's antagonism toward panty hose, unless they are being forced, by some dress code, to wear them. I do not like dress codes, or any other "forced by society, not by good sense" behavior.

I like to dress up on occasion, but it makes me miserable under the layer of clothes unless it is cold (I tend to feel hot). And the buttoned-up collar chokes me, let alone the tie. Yet, if too loose, they look bad.

Similarly, my wife may find panty hose uncomfortable for some reasons.

Last edited:
I essentially live my life in summer. In the Islands, it's always summer at least at sea level. When I come to the mainland, it's almost always summer - only exception was daughter's wedding in Oct.

So, I own one pair of long pants and I'm not sure which closet they're in - Islands or Midwest. No suits, no ties. I prefer an aloha shirt to a T-shirt because it's appropriate in about 95% of situations in the Islands - even with shorts. I avoid most situations where I would need to dress up. I did wear my long pants (with aloha shirt) to my 50th HS graduation a few years back. Last time I dressed up, I think. YMMV

I very have been much for dressing up but I like nice causal new fade cloths.

I really do appreciate when lady's wear dresses thou. So, dresses up is appreciated and there is some value in doing so.

Thanks for the opinions and you made me think about it more clearly.

Without knowing more about the event, I think the above clothes will be fine.

If it were me, I would wear slacks, a long-sleeve shirt with the neck unbuttoned and no tie, and a navy blazer. It's my default outfit.

If people there wear more informal clothes, I will leave the blazer in the car.

If I think there's a chance it may be a bit more formal, I will take along a tie just to be safe, and put it on before leaving the car.

Last edited:
I would go with shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops.

If there is a early retirement forum meet up do I have to find pants and sweaters?

Last edited:

If there is a early retirement forum meet up do I have to find pants and sweaters?

Nah you would be good.
In our past SW Florida meetups, your attire is quite popular.:greetings10:

I got a bag of cloths and and might change my mind before the banquet. Lol

I'm leaving the cowboy hat home this time.

With ER meet ups, everything goes. :cool:

A while back, I remember a poster or two who mentioned that they were members of a nudist camp, and asking if there were others on the forum with the same lifestyle/interest. ;)

With ER meet ups, everything goes. :cool:

A while back, I remember a poster or two who mentioned that they were members of a nudist camp, and asking if there were others on the forum with the same lifestyle/interest. ;)

Yeah, the mind fairly reels at the thought of a "formal" banquet hosted at a nudist colony. It's like the old question of "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" YMMV

You can get very light pants that will be cooler, and a golf shirt.

Yep, that's my standard dressy outfit here in the mid-South, e.g. lightweight khaki pants & a sport shirt.

Jeans are for winter only...too hot for me most of the year.

People find jeans comfortable, but not me.

At home and when running errands, I am in shorts. And nearly year round, here in the SW.

When going out, I wear khaki pants, or slacks if I want to dress up a bit more.

I only have 1 pair of jeans, if you believe it. I put them on when I want to go on the roof, or in the crawl space. :) It does not have holes. Not yet, after perhaps 30 years.

Last edited:
Well, I'm back in paradise gathering a banquet over. I dressed up but many had nice shorts, dress shirts and leather shoes. There was 3 piece suits to shorts but glad I was some where in the middle of that range.

Back
Top Bottom