Golf Game Needs Help

DawgMan

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have never had any formal instruction, but picked up my first club in college and became an occasional "weekend hacker" with my buddies. Fast forward to today, while I enjoy the game, I really only play when some buddies ask me or I know my son wants to go out and play. I play in spurts... sometimes it could be 3 times a month or 3 times in 3 months, so with no regularity. My issue is I seem to be regressing and spraying the ball, typically by slice, and just not making the best contact consistently. I'm not looking to turn pro, but would like to try and put together a game where I could shoot say mid 80's to low 90's consistently. Are there any programs out there (free or paid for) that are worth a hoot to try to help clean up my game? There is so much you can find in a Google search, but was hoping to find a system I can take with me to the range. Plan B is to search locally for the right pro. Ideas?

Look up Paul Wilson on Youtube.. He teaches the body swing. His method makes sense and provides feedback positions that help you correctly convert to using your body as the powerplant of the golf swing.

I don't know anyone who got better at golf that didn't take lessons from a qualified pro.

Look up Paul Wilson on Youtube.. He teaches the body swing. His method makes sense and provides feedback positions that help you correctly convert to using your body as the powerplant of the golf swing.

Thanks. I will give it a look.

Yes...he's a good one. He preaches a tension free swing which is important for us old golfers. Ha

I don't know anyone who got better at golf that didn't take lessons from a qualified pro.
+1. Unless you know beyond any doubt what you’re doing wrong, trying to improve entirely on your own is hit and miss. It might work, more likely not IME - at least for making lasting improvements. And nothing wrong with playing once a month, but it’s much harder to play consistently than someone who plays weekly or more. If there was a silver bullet system or training aid that clearly helped, we’d all know about it.

Last edited:

Disagree. While it's probably a lot easier and faster getting lessons,(depending on the pro, there are LOTS of bad teachers out there) it's certainly possible to improve on your own. Are you going to become a plus handicap? Probably not, but a guy like the OP who just wants to have some more consistency as a part time player can certainly achieve that. Lots of free content on youtube if you find a guy that makes sense to you and you don't hop from instructor to instructor. Another option is online lessons.

Disagree. While it's probably a lot easier and faster getting lessons,(depending on the pro, there are LOTS of bad teachers out there) it's certainly possible to improve on your own. Are you going to become a plus handicap? Probably not, but a guy like the OP who just wants to have some more consistency as a part time player can certainly achieve that. Lots of free content on youtube if you find a guy that makes sense to you and you don't hop from instructor to instructor. Another option is online lessons.

Sure, you can become more consistent at chipping and putting as you develop feel and learn how to read greens. I don't think most people don't need a pro for that...just more practice. But having a good repeatable swing for full shots can rarely be done alone.

I used to shoot 90 - 105 with a very poor swing...I avoided a lot of very high scores because my short game was decent. But once I took lessons and learned how to hit full shots with consistency my scores went down to the low 80's, and I've even broken 80 several times.

Sure, you can become more consistent at chipping and putting as you develop feel and learn how to read greens. I don't think most people don't need a pro for that...just more practice. But having a good repeatable swing for full shots can rarely be done alone.

I used to shoot 90 - 105 with a very poor swing...I avoided a lot of very high scores because my short game was decent. But once I took lessons and learned how to hit full shots with consistency my scores went down to the low 80's, and I've even broken 80 several times.

We just disagree, no problem. I'm like you, shoot low 80's, my best is 76. My swing is homemade and the best part of my game is driving. I'm a lousy putter. I took a few lessons here and there, never got anything out of them. Like I said, lots of bad instructors out there. I did find one guy who was really good but I didn't have the time to invest in practice to bother continuing.
I've built my swing from youtube videos and reading. It's not that hard if you have some idea of what you're trying to do. Now a total newbie with no understanding of basic swing components isn't going to do it but if you understand basic swing tenets it's doable. I play with tons of guys who have ugly swings who've never had a lesso and get it around in the 80's and actually hit the ball straight which is what the OP seems concerned with. I do agree if you want to really get good lessons are likely in order. Although I know a couple scratch golfers who are entirely feel players and couldn't tell you anything they're doing. They just do it.

Count me in for suggesting at least a couple lessons. I never really understood what it meant that I was swinging outside in (slicing) until I was shown. It certainly never felt like I was swinging outside in, but on video it is obvious. I guess without a few lessons, you at least need a way to get some feedback. Look for a driving range with Trackman. It’s amazing what that thing can tell you about your swing.

MeandMyGolf is helpful. There is some help available free but a subscription is required for the full content.

If I'd only known....I was in my 60's before I took a lesson. Didn't do anything at all for me. I'm better. So......count me better?

I'm 7.9 at this time in the UK.

One of my golf friends never took a lesson...he's probably a 10 handicap and in his late 50's. But he's played thousands of games and learned to make the best out of what he had and developed a good touch around the greens over decades of play.

For the OP who has minimal golf experience, lessons could probably help more than trying to figure it out on their own. Players like you and my friend may not get a lot out of lessons.

The challenge with many sports is it's hard to feel what might be going wrong. If you can get a slow motion video of your swings from the side and back that might give you some clues on what needs to be fixed and compare that to some slow motion videos of the pros. The other thing as we age, our physical limitations may become more of factor, so working on your flexibility should help. There is a book out called Golf Fitness Over Fifty that might be helpful.

That said, if you can find a good instructor that can be invaluable, but like anything else not all instructors are created equal. If you can find it on the internet, there is a booklet called SliceFixer's Encyclopedia Texarkana that has a lot of good advice. At one time, I believe he also had a Facebook page and taught lessons.

Edit - the other thing is work on putting and short game if you really want to score well.

Last edited:
And nothing wrong with playing once a month, but it’s much harder to play consistently than someone who plays weekly or more. If there was a silver bullet system or training aid that clearly helped, we’d all know about it.

This is particularly true if you predominantly play a single course or the same set of courses. One aspect of frequent play is that you learn what types of shots or location on certain holes are better than others. On my membership course that alone can save me several strokes per round.

I've spent thousands of dollars on golf and the best $50 ever spent was on a lesson with a golf pro. I still get a tune up lesson now and then. There are some great you tube instructors but nothing compares with the immediate feedback you get from a qualified instructor.

I've spent thousands of dollars on golf and the best $50 ever spent was on a lesson with a golf pro. I still get a tune up lesson now and then. There are some great you tube instructors but nothing compares with the immediate feedback you get from a qualified instructor.
+1. There are always exceptions, but most people will get more out of lesson than trying to diagnose themselves and match that with the right online lesson. If you’re already a low HI player or you’re trying to tweak parts of your game, you can certainly improve online. But building a sound swing on your own is unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom