Good Contemporary Rock Music

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The 50 Worst Songs thread started to morph into references to good music so I thought I would start a new thread. It looks like a bunch of posters are like me 50+ old, 60s guy. Been to a number of concerts, the best recently was Springsteen. But what I want to toss out is I think there is a great "young" band that is a proper heir to the great 60s/70s rock bands from the US & UK. My 16 year old Mohawk haired rock drummer son exposed me to Audioslave. I bought their two CDs and some of earlier bands they came out of. Just haunting voices, good lyrics and good music. Only problem at home is my son will no longer listen to them as I like them.
Any new music catching the ear of the older folks on board?

yakers said:
Any new music catching the ear of the older folks on board?

Not exactly 70s rock, but DoggyStyle, by the one, the only...Snoop Doggy Dog. It lives in my car CD. Esp like #3, "Gin and Juice." Great CD for Dog Lovers.

Ha

Pearl Jam
Third Eye Blind
Alice in Chains (and Jerry Cantrell)
Green Day
Foo Fighters

Ok, some of these are already old hat...........

Snoop Doggy style:confused:

I'm not exactly older, but Coldplay is great. John Mayer is good Sunday afternoon music, and My Chemical Romance is pretty awesome if your into a little harder rock.

The Rev. Horton Heat would be my vote.

Wow, I'm way too old to be postin here. :D Jimi/Jethro you dudes reek. Die dudes.

OldAgePensioner said:
Wow, I'm way too old to be postin here. :D Jimi/Jethro you dudes reek. Die dudes.

OAP, I missed the boat even with Jimi as I was too busy listening to Kenton, Herman, Basie, Ellington, Rich mixed in with Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Stravinski, to name a few etc. (not necessarily in that order)
MJ

Liked Beethoven and Brahms, not so much Stravinski, kinda cheesy to me, not enough tension. You know, Tchaikovsky didn't even like his most famous work (Nutcracker). While I enjoy it, I do think he has better (Swan Lake, for one). I'd say I like Mozart, but hey, who doesn't, right? As much as he is a genius, his work did have a bit of a pattern, set a melody, add a little tension, bring it back around in the end, rinse and repeat...

MJ,
I got my lovely ladies hooked on Canned Heat. And the rest of the evening was pure "red-hot".

Now as for contemporary music. I like 2nd St. Satans out in LA.

To me contemporary rock is the Waterboys. I'm still listening to Dylan, Beatles, Beach Boys, and Chuck Berry.

AMEN on the Alice In Chains HFWR

Brewer,
Saw the Reverend about two months ago live here in Iowa. What a great show they put on. Small venue, high energy. Kicked ass.

OK guys, I am looking for new music. I went to itunes and listened to bits of Audioslave, Coldplay, John Mayer, My Chemical Romance, Rev. Horton Heat, Los Lonely Boys, Pearl Jam, Third Eye Blind, Alice in Chains, Green Day and Foo Fighters. They didn't have Snoop Doggy Dog's Gin and Juice but I heard bits of another's version.

Not cutting it for me. Any other suggestions?

Snoop D-O-Double-G in da Hizzuz! ;)

Martha, who do you like from the old school set and I'll try to find something similar....?

Have you tried Tori Amos or Sarah McLachlan? Paula Cole?

Laurence said:
Snoop D-O-Double-G in da Hizzuz! ;)

Martha, who do you like from the old school set and I'll try to find something similar....?

Have you tried Tori Amos or Sarah McLachlan? Paula Cole?

Laurence: You leave the DW alone. I had to listen to all kinds of goofy music yesterday, although some of it was good interesting. Or tell her to put on an old Moody Blues album.

--Greg

Sigur Ros.

Had 2nd row seats at their concert in Chicago a week ago. Best concert I've seen, and I've seen a lot of the dinosaurs of rock.

Expect to be lyrically-challenged - they're Icelandic. If you like early Pink Floyd (pre-DSOTM), you'll love Sigur Ros.

Martha said:
OK guys, I am looking for new music.  I went to itunes and listened to bits of Audioslave, Coldplay, John Mayer, My Chemical Romance, Rev. Horton Heat, Los Lonely Boys, Pearl Jam, Third Eye Blind, Alice in Chains, Green Day and Foo Fighters.  They didn't have Snoop Doggy Dog's Gin and Juice but I heard bits of another's version.

Not cutting it for me.  Any other suggestions? 

Let me recommend "She's Got Issues" by the Offspring on the Americana CD. Another easy listening punk album is Joey Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me". That CD has the best song of the NASDAQ madness era-"Maria Bartiromo". It does for the late '90s what "Sing, Sing, Sing" did for the 30s.

Ha

HaHa said:
Let me recommend "She's Got Issues" by the Offspring on the Americana CD. Another easy listening punk album is Joey Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me". That CD has the best song of the NASDAQ madness era-"Maria Bartiromo". It does for the late '90s what "Sing, Sing, Sing" did for the 30s.

Ha

Yes, I do like punk and "Maria Bartiromo." I'll try the Offspring.

Martha, Joey wrote many of these songs while in hospital suffering from lymphoma. He died shortly after it was recorded.

The first song on the CD is poignant version of "What a Wonderful World." Knowing what he was suffering during the time in studio, I sometimes cry when I listen to it. Another powerful one is "I Want My Life".

Mikey

I really like Barenaked Ladies (OK, stop snickering). They have the perfect song for this forum but you really have to hear it to fully appreciate it.

Judy

If I Had A Million Dollars​
If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you a house
(I would buy you a house)
If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you furniture for your house
(Maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you a K-Car
(a nice Reliant automobile)
If I had $1000000 I'd buy your love.

If I had $1000000
I'd build a tree fort in our yard
If I had $1000000
You could help, it wouldn't be that hard
If I had $1000000
Maybe we could put a refrigerator in there
Wouldn't that be fabulous

If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you a fur coat
(but not a real fur coat that's cruel)
If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you an exotic pet
(Like a llama or an emu)
If I had $1000000
(if I had $1000000)
I'd buy you John Davidson's remains
(All those grim and gray hair and bones...?)
If I had $1000000 I'd buy your love.

If I had $1000000
We wouldn't have to walk to the store
If I had $1000000
We'd take a limousine 'cause it costs more.
If I had $1000000
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner
But we would. We'd actually make the treefort from the
first chorus out of it. Mmm.

If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you a green dress
(but not a real green dress, that's cruel)
If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you some art
(a Picasso or a Garfunkel)
If I had $1000000
(If I had $1000000)
I'd buy you a monkey
(haven't you always wanted a monkey?)

If I had $1000000, If I had $1000000
If I had $1000000, If I had $1000000
I'd be rich.​

I can't seem to find anything new that competes with the Allman Brothers.

I've found the Black Eye Peas to be fun, a synthesis of rock, disco, soul, reggae, and rap...sounds wierd but is catchy and Fergie is some nice eye candy as well!

The Blues are Timeless.

Besides anything by the Chicago Blues legends, right now I'm listening to Boz Scaggs' recent Come On Home album - His Greatest Hits Live DVD is GREAT! (Outstanding rendition of Loan Me a Dime) I give them both my :) :) :) :) rating....What a voice...and guitar

img_336545_0_003ce4862a51d85d477b564674cfa2d4.jpg
img_336545_1_098ccb95d59a6a804b0fcdd0d96768e6.jpg
img_336545_2_afdaab18f3b6120502552e64a1934a9d.jpg

Radiohead. The first listen is "huh?". Later listens get more and more addictive (these aren't catchy simplistic tunes, kinda 21st century Pink Floyd). Finally, you start to recognize the music as background themes in your favorite shows. Coldplay owes everything to Radiohead. Biggest hits; Kid A, OK Computer, Amnesiac.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom