Google Glass

this sort of technology could become a very useful tool within a few years. Think about this as a sort of combination of:

* external memory - notes on where you've been, where you are, details on who or what are around you. Reminders on the run.
* Personal assistant/agent - Think of a Siri (Apple iPhone) sort of software added here.

Now apply this to our sort of daily problems:

* Where are my car keys?
* Where did I leave my car?
* Directions to the cheapest breakfast place within three blocks, please.
* Was this shirt cheaper at the other thrift store?
* Remind me to mail these letters when I get near the Post Office on the way to the store.

Beats covering myself in post-it notes...

I still don't have a smartphone or an iPad, so the fact that I don't see Google Glass as that compelling should probably be taken as evidence that it may be the next big thing :LOL:

Modern technology seems to be trying to give us more and more connectivity while since stopping work, I've been going in the other direction. I just don't want to be connected to others all of the time. It sounds annoying, but then I am an INTJ.

Last edited:
I still don't have a smartphone or an iPad, so the fact that I don't see Google Glass as that compelling should probably be taken as evidence that it may be the next big thing :LOL:

Modern technology seems to be trying to give us more and more connectivity while since stopping work, I've been going in the other direction. I just don't want to be connected to others all of the time. It sounds annoying, but then I am an INTJ.
I think something like this is the future. I don't think it is going to catch on right this minute. I think eventually there will be implanted devices. I think "Glass" is actually kind of cool.

Meanwhile, I'm with you. I don't have a smartphone. I'm in the smartphone industry. How's that for a surprise? I actually kind of hate the things. The devices have helped many, but also screwed up many lives.

But I see the tidal wave and I'll probably have one in the next few years. And if I don't check out at w*rk soon, I'll probably be required to get one.

I'm a walking, daily contradiction with these things. It is love and hate.

I'm a walking, daily contradiction with these things. It is love and hate.
I'm completely with you on this. I am not by any means a technophobe, but I am a late adopter when it comes to technology. I purchase things only if they will have a definite utility to me. I used to own a cellphone (non-smart), then ditched it once I no longer had a need.

This, or something like it, most likely will be in our futures. I remember hearing an interview with some noted scientist on NPR a few years ago. He was talking about how, as electronics become more and more miniaturized, we will all be connected in ways it is hard for us to imagine now. As we are able to "print" electronic circuits onto smaller and smaller objects, we will get to the point, he hypothesized, where communication nodes will be everywhere - perhaps even floating in the air like dust. He wasn't quite sure how we will interface with these devices, but he seemed quite sure that we will. It made sense to me.

Smartphones, iPads and the like all seem a bit clunky to me. I think that as time progresses, the devices we use to connect will become less obvious, as we refine the ways we interface with them. Google Glass seems a bit "dorky". My first impression of it was as a gadget that has more novelty value than real utility but then, this is the first iteration of it.

this sort of technology could become a very useful tool within a few years. Think about this as a sort of combination of:

* external memory - notes on where you've been, where you are, details on who or what are around you. Reminders on the run.
* Personal assistant/agent - Think of a Siri (Apple iPhone) sort of software added here.

* Where are my car keys?
* Remind me to mail these letters when I get near the Post Office on the way to the store.

M P, I put together a very low tech version of this (huge calendar; notes on mirrors, tables, fridge, stove, etc.; daily multiple phone calls; filled daily pill boxes; etc.; etc.; for my mom as she slipped into dementia. Unfortunately, she quickly began to forget to check these. Then she forgot what they were for. So, while an electronic version could be useful as we get "forgetful" in our dotage, I fear it won't help much for those of us who progress further into forgetfulness. Still, I'm beginning to see application in my own life, based on your post. Thanks!:flowers:

I think the potential for the technology is great. But what they're showing off in the demo is a little lackluster. It seems people are getting a little over excited at the idea of what is essentially demonstrated as a head mounted, internet-connected, voice activated video camera. Is that really that dramatic of an improvement over current video cameras that can fit in your pocket and activate almost instantly at the push of a button?

I can see how augmented reality could be great though when shopping, visiting museums/historical sights, gaming that's a hybrid between the virtual and real world, and acting as a smart digital, environment/location-aware assistant reminding you of things at the right time and place. Though smart phones could potentially already do a lot of that. The glasses idea just makes it more of a ubiquitous, always-on kind of thing that activates itself without you having to remember to dig into your pocket, pull out your digital device, and run an app.

I'll probably pick one up after its been out for about 10 years.

I'll probably pick one up pretty early, say the 2nd generation, if the reviews are favorable and the data plans aren't crazy expense. I was a pretty late adopter for smart phones, and I am already sorry I waited so long.

If Google Glass had been available earlier I would have skipped the smartphone and gone directly to Glass.

It is interesting my friend/colleague wrote a sci Fi book back in 99 where everybody who Virtual Reality glasses with similar functionality to Google Glass (he was working on promoting some early VR applications). So I was always expect to see one of these things but not for another 30 years..

If you figure 15 years ago WiFi didn't exist, video camera were still pretty large, and voice recognition required weeks of training. It is really a remarkable engineering feat.

The dirty old man in me is looking forward to having stealthy camera at the beach :D

Just imagine:

Every minute, every second of your life...tracked, saved, forever... from the viewpoint of your own eyes. Sound recorded the way your ears hear. Available to relive any point in time... waking, sleeping... forever.

Every bit of recorded knowledge... available with a few search words with a refined google, keyed in an advanced learning curve to your life's experience.

A kinetic center of being, beyond which our primitive minds cannot forsee.

Reality that goes beyond anything imagination has yet converted to knowledge.

"Hal":cool:, to the 10th power.

* Where are my car keys?

It may even answer the question: why are my socks in the refrigerator?

Just imagine:

Every minute, every second of your life...tracked, saved, forever... from the viewpoint of your own eyes. Sound recorded the way your ears hear. Available to relive any point in time... waking, sleeping... forever.

Every bit of recorded knowledge... available with a few search words with a refined google, keyed in an advanced learning curve to your life's experience.

....[-]Should[/-] might even settle the questions of all those sightings.... UFOs, Bigfoot, Elvis... :D

Last edited:
Lots going on with Google Glass... Since it looks like 2013 will be the entry year, expect more.
This article deals with the privacy issue... Not going to be welcome in a bar.
Other links on the page.

Seattle dive bar becomes first to ban Google Glass | Internet & Media - CNET News

Lends new meaning to "eye witness". Just imagine a few million citizens, all wearing Google Glass, and recording every minute of their day.

Imagine finding information on anything/everything with a single blink of the eye, or saying a few words, or the far reaching possibilities of image match or face recognition technology.

If it gets here in 2013, where will it be in 2020?

[url=http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57570779-1/confirmed-google-glass-arrives-in-2013-and-under-$1500/]Confirmed: Google Glass arrives in 2013, and under $1,500 | Crave - CNET[/URL]

Here's a little clip from one of the info links...
Where your Google comfort zone ends
It'll be foolhardy to be as cavalier with tomorrow's Google as you might be with it today. I think some of those sci-fi possibilities I just described could be real within three to five years, so now is a good time to start thinking about where your Google comfort zone ends.
Me? I'm immersed in Google services, but I worry that handy new features will arrive in a steady stream of minor changes that are all but imperceptible until one day I wake up and realize that Google has access to everything that makes me who I am.
Google Now says it needs access to my calendar? Sounds useful. My Android phone needs to turn on my phone's microphone so the Google Maps app can judge by ambient noise whether I'm indoors or outdoors? Well, that'll help me get through the airport faster. My glasses need to identify the faces of people in my company so Google can deduce who gets consigned to the Google Voice answering machine and who gets through to my phone even at 3 a.m.? Well, I sure don't want to have to set all that up manually.

Last edited:
To think that I already feel that I have lived in 2 worlds - the pre-internet age and now. I'm only 49 and I have a feeling our current technology will seem clunky and quaint 30 years from now.

To think that I already feel that I have lived in 2 worlds - the pre-internet age and now. I'm only 49 and I have a feeling our current technology will seem clunky and quaint [-]30[/-] 10 years from now.
FIFY

I spent a small fortune a few years ago to have my eyes treated with a laser beam so I did not have to wear glasses all the time. Now Google thinks I am going to wear their hi-tech glasses, and go through all the hassles I have nearly forgotten?? What have these boys and girls been smoking?

Sorry but I fail to see the advantage of using such glasses. Won't help me when seeing patients, for example.
I agree. What's all the fuss about? A head mounted camera? Sure it can be linked to some back-end processing, but it sounds like flying car dreams to me. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

To the OP: I don't mean to dismiss posting and discussion on this, it's interesting to see what other people think is interesting. It opens my mind to things I might have missed. So thanks for posting.

-ERD50

I agree. What's all the fuss about? A head mounted camera? Sure it can be linked to some back-end processing, but it sounds like flying car dreams to me. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

To the OP: I don't mean to dismiss posting and discussion on this, it's interesting to see what other people think is interesting. It opens my mind to things I might have missed. So thanks for posting.

-ERD50

I just don't want to have crap on my head.

My understanding is that the head mounted camera will allow a person to surreptitiously take photographs. I can think of many reasons people will find this offensive.

Back
Top Bottom