Google Spreadsheets

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
MickJ pointed out the new spreadsheets.google.com site. I discoverd that I have access to it thru my Google acct and didn't even know it.

I uploaded some local spreadsheets and created a moderately complex new one. There are a few bugs, but this thing is amazing. Basic Excel on the web, shareable, fast enough, and available-everywhere. It is password protected (though no SSL).

Since the DW and I can both edit it and refer to it, I just might start transferring all my financial stuff there. Would keep identifiers, acct numbers, pw's and other sensitive stuff off.

Next will come google wordprocessing (they acquired Writely). Pretty neat trend in my view.

And then Google Life? I want them just to take my entire life, digitize it, and then live it from there. Everything else they do seems to be an improvement on the original! ;)

They're probably developing the tools now...

Google has a few cool products but I restrain myself from using most of them. I don't need the mothership tracking my every move and compiling a profile on me.

cube_rat said:
Google has a few cool products but I restrain myself from using most of them. I don't need the mothership tracking my every move and compiling a profile on me.

That's life in these United States, I'm afraid. I don't worry about them tracking me but I would assume that any data you store with them is vulnerable so I'd be cautious.

I figure I'm already being tracked by MC, VISA, IRS, insurance companies, ISP, employer, licensing boards, the DEA, and more. Frankly, I'm counting on the fact that I'm not that interesting. ;)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
That's life in these United States, I'm afraid. I don't worry about them tracking me but I would assume that any data you store with them is vulnerable so I'd be cautious.

I figure I'm already being tracked by MC, VISA, IRS, insurance companies, ISP, employer, licensing boards, the DEA, and more. Frankly, I'm counting on the fact that I'm not that interesting. ;)

But you forgot all those cameras that we have place around your house..... we see ALLLLLLL..

Rich_in_Tampa said:

I have run a government database (or five). What worries me is not that my data may be tracked, but rather that it may be tracked incorrectly.

Scrooge said:
I have run a government database (or five). What worries me is not that my data may be tracked, but rather that it may be tracked incorrectly.
Or, like the military, not tracked at all...

Its not just that the data is vulnerable. They mine and index everything just like they do web pages. Just for statistical interest and no other purpose, and i'm sure they have no evil intent. However, those mines and indexes do have a tendency to get swiped.

So no acct numbers, passwords, or other sensititive data...

Pretty soon, all the apps will be googleized, and they'll offer free broadband, and all you'll need to access it is a google approved piece of desktop s/w or a google appliance and enjoy the advertising and prioritized information based on who pays the most. Maybe not a bad trade. Sort of like tv...

Rich_in_Tampa said:
MickJ pointed out the new spreadsheets.google.com site. I discoverd that I have access to it thru my Google acct and didn't even know it.

I uploaded some local spreadsheets and created a moderately complex new one. There are a few bugs, but this thing is amazing. Basic Excel on the web, shareable, fast enough, and available-everywhere. It is password protected (though no SSL).

Since the DW and I can both edit it and refer to it, I just might start transferring all my financial stuff there. Would keep identifiers, acct numbers, pw's and other sensitive stuff off.

Next will come google wordprocessing (they acquired Writely). Pretty neat trend in my view.

What is the main advantage this has over excel on a local PC? - What is amazing about it? - I am slowly moving a lot of my stuff to google.

Nords said:
Or, like the military, not tracked at all...

Well, if the government is not tracking (some of) my data, then it's not a big deal as long as I don't expect that data to be tracked.

But when I do expect the government to be tracking my data -- e.g. I expect FDIC to have enough information to determine that I have $99K deposited with Honest Al's Burgers and Savings and Loan -- then it had better have that information and it had better be accurate. Just in case, you know.

Cut-Throat said:
What is the main advantage this has over excel on a local PC? - What is amazing about it? - I am slowly moving a lot of my stuff to google.

Its free. And its not microsoft. Two key advantages for some folks. Oh yeah, and you can access your spreadsheets from anywhere.

Think on it...if you have your documents, pictures, movies, email, and everything else "on google", you could throw your existing pc into the garbage can, slide your new one in, log in to google and voila!

We used to have the same thing, only it was called a system/370 and a 3270 terminal ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Its free. And its not microsoft. Two key advantages for some folks. Oh yeah, and you can access your spreadsheets from anywhere.

Think on it...if you have your documents, pictures, movies, email, and everything else "on google", you could throw your existing pc into the garbage can, slide your new one in, log in to google and voila!

We used to have the same thing, only it was called a system/370 and a 3270 terminal ;)

I used to have that too!

And then you gotta hope that they back up your files. :(

Still true today. Although I guess with inflation, that's the 64,000,000-dollar question.

Cut-Throat said:

Well, to an ex-programmer like me it is amazing that they can make a web-based app run so much like an executable app. They trap arrow presses, support almost full text and cell background colors and formatting, auto-save every 10 seconds, have lots of formula support, etc. Amazing in that it works and doesn't feel like the typical java program where everything lags.

The shareability by invitation is cool, too. Use while traveling, share with family etc. Update from home, work, etc. I like it.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

aka dumb terminals :LOL:

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Well, to an ex-programmer like me it is amazing that they can make a web-based app run so much like an executable app. They trap arrow presses, support almost full text and cell background colors and formatting, auto-save every 10 seconds, have lots of formula support, etc. Amazing in that it works and doesn't feel like the typical java program where everything lags.

The shareability by invitation is cool, too. Use while traveling, share with family etc. Update from home, work, etc. I like it.

Whoa, a programmer to a doctor!!! :eek:

Eh, both poke stuff looking for bugs, while dealing primarily with irrational people who dont understand anything thats going on. Pretty much the same thing.

Rich_in_Tampa said:

So, amazing from a technology viewpoint rather than a functionality viewpoint? Correct?

Share with family? - Not gonna happen here! - My wife is about as interested in my spreadsheets as I am in getting another job! :D

Thanks for pointing out the spread sheet application. I had to do a google search to find it. It wasn't on the page with all their other application options. Does google have a "Word" like application also?.

The interesing aspect of it is that google is doing what Lary Ellison of Orical said would happen. That is; applications will be server/web based and not pc based.

We will only need small dumb computers pretty soon with all our applications on google.

cube_rat said:
Whoa, a programmer to a doctor!!! :eek:

Well, I wrote an eletronic medical record program in the 80s. Had a few hundred users, written in Pascal, then 4D, and then ported but never licensed in PHP and mysql as a web app. It started as a Mac-only app, but the php port was in preparation for cross-platform marketing.

When it started to grow (and after the kids' tuitions were done) I had a choice to make. HIPAA and large groups started taking hold and I needed to either make it my full time pursuit, or unload it and get back to practicing medicine. Dozens of new players in the market, some very well funded; never got a good offer on the code and eventually (just about 5 years ago) gave it up. By then, that vertical market was in chaos and I was glad to be rid of it.

I have another idea for a web-based program which, if successful, would make the perfect post-FIRE pursuit. Without spilling the beans, it's a medical decision helper site for the patient/layman. Not unlike FIRECalc, actually, it takes guided input which includes your preferences and values, and cranks out some hopefully useful advice. Still got to refine the concept, and do my due diligence re: liability issues, etc. but it will be fun if it happens.

Unlike the forlorn and broken-spiritied ex-programmers who wander around in this forum ;), I actually enjoy programming -- never had to earn a living with it.

Cut-Throat said:
So, amazing from a technology viewpoint rather than a functionality viewpoint? Correct?

Both, to me. But then again if you don't have a need for it, doesn't matter how well implemented it is.

There are a lot of people who use spreadsheets as mini-databases, too. Keep everything from their to-do list to text documents to their checkbook on it. I think this is going to be big. And it's one of the few programs you can actually use from a phone or PDA screen if you lay it out right.

I read that they are working on a word processor, and imagine a calendar program can't be far behind (Yahoo has had one for years). All that for free, available from anywhere, private, shareable, well executed -- yup, I think it's amazing.

Make sure the idea is significantly better for the patient than just iteratively googling...

Cool Dood said:
Make sure the idea is significantly better for the patient than just iteratively googling...

Iterative googling, huh? You can get a hernia if you do too much of that. And hair will grow on the palms of your hands.

Back
Top Bottom