Great Gray Owl

C

Cut-Throat

A Great Gray Owl has taken up residence at my Place. Normally they are found in Northern Minnesota. But they have move south this Winter in Search of Food. He'll help keep the Rodent Population in Check in my Backyard. He's been here 2 weeks now.

img_298705_0_d8b407e289f7033a0ae25ceb7f8273c9.jpg

Lovely gray owl. We have had many around here this winter and in general, the hawk and owl population is high in Northern Minnesota.

You are so lucky. He is very handsome. If you're lucky, there's a pair with babies somewhere.

arrete

Beautiful owl. It appears the it is high up unless it is perching on a very young tree.
From where did you take the shot?

MJ

Beautiful owl. It appears the it is high up unless it is perching on a very young tree.
From where did you take the shot?

MJ

It's a young tree. It's probably only about 10-12 feet at the top, where the Owl is.

I took the photo from the ground about 40 feet away. I used my 3X Zoom with the 3.6 Digital Zoom, giving a total of about 11X magnification.

He looks pretty thin Cut_Throat, probably the reason why he has migrated south.

National Geographic had an excellent article on "Great Grays" a couple of months ago.

I haven't observed any here (Southwestern ON), but spring definitely arrived a couple of weeks ago with robins, redwing blackbirds, turkey vultures, and killdeers. 8)

He looks a h!ll of a lot better than my neighboors...send him my way!!

He looks pretty thin Cut_Throat, probably the reason why he has migrated south.

National Geographic had an excellent article on "Great Grays" a couple of months ago.

I haven't observed any here (Southwestern ON), but spring definitely arrived a couple of weeks ago with robins, redwing blackbirds, turkey vultures, and killdeers. 8)

Zipper,

Not sure how you can tell with all those feathers. Here is another picture of him in the tree off of my Deck. His back is towards me and his head has rotated around to look at me.

img_298733_0_2621857e25a2cbf08bfcf9ab1a12acec.jpg

He's a beautiful bird. I'm waiting for the owl that lived by the creek behind my house last summer to return.

I guess I am not an "owl" man but how do you all know it is a "he":confused:

"He" has the same look on "his" face as my wife as she is watching me do something stupid and I can never tell if she is laughing at me, amazed, or just feeling a general contentment

Sailaway

Great pic, C-T, and DW, who never looks at this ER forum, says, "please send more."

Have you seen a mate? For the owl, that is, not you! :)

When I lived in Iowa, a great horned owl moved onto our property. It was pretty neat, but we did notice that our cat population declined after it's arrival. :-[

Back
Top Bottom