Great Recipes!!

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
One of the benefits of being retired for many of us is having the time to prepare our own food. Sometimes we make meals that are more healthy. Sometimes we make food that is tastier than what we ate when working. Hopefully, we can mix both very often.

Maybe we can share some good recipes.

My normal reason for cooking my own meals is to prepare healthy, tasty meals so I can avoid the junkier stuff sold in supermarkets. But, occasionally, I also make a treat. If I am going to eat something that is not very healthy, then I want to be very good. With that in mind I offer this recipe for making chocolate chip cookies that are chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. It comes from this website:

Recipe: Jeff Potter’s Patent-Violating* Chocolate Chip Cookies

How to Make Patent-Violating* Chocolate Chip Cookies

*Patent #4,455,333, which is thankfully now expired
The trick to making a shelf-stable cookie that seems fresh-baked—crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle—is to make two different doughs! Use a chewy dough for the center of the cookie and a crispy dough for the edge. Rolling these two doughs together and slicing them is a technique used in “refrigerator cookies,” where dough is rolled into a log, chilled, and then sliced. Normally this is done with multiple doughs to create cookies with visual differences—for example, those with a red colored center and a white edge. In this case, we’re using two doughs to change the texture in different regions, which in hindsight is obvious, but it’s not at all obvious at the outset.
A normal chewy dough recipe would call for more brown sugar and shorter baking times, but neither of those will work—we don’t want the center to be a darker color, and we can’t bake the crispy part longer, because, well, physics. I’m using corn syrup in this version to increase the simple sugar ratio in the chewy dough, but given the framework above, feel free to experiment!
1. “Crispy dough”: Make a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough, starting with a standard recipe, such as the Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Instead of 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar, use 1 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. This batch will be our “crispy” dough.
2. “Chewy dough”: Make a second batch of chocolate chip cookie dough using the same recipe. Instead of 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar, use 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar, and add 1/2 cup corn syrup. This dough will be the “chewy” dough. (You’ll notice that it’s also stickier and wetter. Normally this would be a problem, as a wet dough would spread out, but in this case, it’ll be surrounded by the other dough).
3. Transfer the chewy dough from the bowl onto a large sheet of parchment or wax paper, form it into a log shape about one inch in diameter, and then fold the paper over to surround the log. Roll it a few times to ensure it is round. Place in freezer and allow to chill, around 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, spread the crispy dough out onto another sheet of parchment or wax paper and form a large rectangle that’s the length of the chewy dough log and wide enough to wrap around the log. (You can place a second sheet of paper on top of the dough and then roll it out, if necessary.)
5. After 30 minutes—that is, once the chewy dough log has stiffened enough to be workable—place that log on top of the rectangle of crispy dough. Wrap the log with the crispy dough, joining the ends together.
6. If the conjoined doughs feel too soft to slice, place the whole log in the freezer again to chill, or let it rest overnight in the fridge. (Some people swear that resting the dough overnight matures the dough and improves the flavor—but I’ll save that for another time.)
7. When ready to bake, preheat your oven, slice the dough into cookie-sized discs, and bake per direction. I recommend using parchment paper
Note: If you don’t have corn syrup and you’re itching to try this right now, honey is a potential substitute as well: At 38 percent fructose, 31 percent glucose, it’s remarkably similar to high-fructose corn syrup in sugar composition (approximately 17 percent water and approximately seven percent maltose are the other major substances). Of course, honey will bring its own flavor and color to a cookie, but that might be interesting, depending upon the type of cookie you make. Crispy-chewy oatmeal cookies, anyone?

Everyone has his or her own opinion about when a cookie is done baking. When baked at 350°F, six minutes is too short (see the left-most cookie in the photo agove; you can’t even pick it up!). If baked too long (~18 minutes; right-most cookie), the cookie is beyond saving, even when dunked in milk. Somewhere in the middle is perfect. Rough rule of thumb: A 1/2-ounce cookie, at 350°F, will be gooey at 8-10 minutes, chewy at 10-12 minutes, and crispy at 12-14 minutes. But remember that the dough formulation matters, too. If your favorite cookies aren't coming out the way you like in terms of gooey-chewy-crispy, and you’re following a recipe that ought to work, the first thing to change is the time and temperature that you bake them.

Last edited:
There was a long running active thread, but the last post there was in July, so maybe time to start another.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/er-forum-cookbook-recipe-posting-thread-25331.html

That's a "sticky" thread and I think it is packed with good stuff. Lots of good cooks out here.

I suggest merging Chuckanut's recipe there and keep it central.

I believe TromboneAl took the time to move a snapshot to PDF. I just wish there was a nice way to search it (or if there already is... some enlightenment!).

That's a "sticky" thread and I think it is packed with good stuff. Lots of good cooks out here.

I suggest merging Chuckanut's recipe there and keep it central.

I believe TromboneAl took the time to move a snapshot to PDF. I just wish there was a nice way to search it (or if there already is... some enlightenment!).

Download the PDF you can search it with Adobe. On my android I can use an app called drive pdf viewer(don't recall installing it), it allows search.

Have to remember to thank cj. The recepie for ham, green beans, and potatoes was something mom made all the time. I had forgotten about it. It's a regular in our home again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom