Grocery Pick Up Service

Do any of the curbside pickup or delivery services use reusable bags or totes?

Yesterday at Wegmans I asked how the groceries were packaged for curbside pickup. It would be plastic bags. Such a waste!

I can envision groceries being packed in stackable plastic tote boxes. Customers pay a couple bucks deposit for each tote, which is refunded when the totes are returned. Most customers would return the totes at their next pickup when they would be traded for full totes.

OP here. Walmart uses plastic bags. Yesterday when they brought my groceries out for pick up I quickly transferred the items to my canvas reusable bags and handed the Walmart plastic bags back to an employee.

Feeding 330 million people isn't easy and farming the "old school" way just won't cut it these days. If you want it "the good ole way" then you probably have to shop local farmer markets or grow it yourself. Same goes for meats.

That's true. But I put a lot of the blame on customers. It's like the spam phone calls and e-mails. Who buys this crap? If nobody bought it, they wouldn't sell it (or call, or send e-mails.)

I also notice that with 1960's technology, I was able to walk down to the corner grocery and for a quarter buy a fresh, ripe melon or pineapple, or sweet, flavorful strawberries.

I find it hard to believe that today, with better technology, better transportation and prices 10 times higher, the same can't be done.

[Edit: On reflection, I wonder how many people today even know what fresh, ripe produce tastes like. Maybe that's why they tolerate such poor quality.]

Last edited:
I also notice that with 1960's technology, I was able to walk down to the corner grocery and for a quarter buy a fresh, ripe melon or pineapple, or sweet, flavorful strawberries.

I can't say for certain since I didn't keep notes, but while what you say is true, as I recall it was not true twelve months out of the year. At least not in Maryland where I grew up. Things like melons or strawberries were very definitely seasonal and we simply didn't eat them in the winter months.

Three days ago DW bought grapes and oranges. When I was growing up in the 1960's that didn't happen in January. I'll grant that perhaps they don't have the same flavor (didn't keep notes on that either) but at least they are available at a reasonable price and there's something to be said for that.

I’m going to mention this service to my parents. My mom’s Parkinson’s is starting to affect her mobility and my dad has never shopped for groceries. This might be a good fit for them.

When my mom was alive the Walmart grocery delivery would have helped her so much. She was over 90 and the big place she had to drive was to the store for groceries. This was really hard for her but she had no other real choice.

Interesting that a poster above notes that the Wegmans online pickup prices were higher than in the store--not so at Walmart. In fact at Walmart the pickup prices can be lower if they substitute a higher priced item.

He said that Wegmans uses Instacart. Most of the stores that use Instacart charge more for stuff bought online and they don't honor customer loyalty cards (which usually give a discount). Walmart charges the same thing as in the store (and they don't have loyalty cards). This is what makes the Walmart delivery attractive.

I did have one frustrating experience with Walmart delivery. Our address has a W at the end of it. Think something like 111 Main St. W. There is also a Main St. E. They often get our packages and vice versa. Anyway, my address is proper in Walmart's order information. I put a note on all orders to be sure and come to Main St. W (not my real address). Anyway, the third delivery called me on the phone saying they were at the door and I wasn't answering. Well, they were at the wrong house. He worked for Door Dash. He got it to our house and showed that Door Dash told him to go to Main St. E.

So I called Walmart. The first person I spoke to had very poor English and didn't really grasp the problem. Oh - I had to fill in a form online and then he called me but he said he didn't have access to the form I filled out so I had to start anew. It was bad enough that I asked to tall to someone else. The next person grasped the problem...and suggested I call Door Dash. I pointed out that Door Dash was Walmart's customer, not mine. The problem is likely in how Walmart transmits the address. Some websites will truncate my address and drop the W. Then if it is put in other software that one will default to E. I am pretty sure that has what has happened here. He said they would do that and he offered to give me a $10 coupon for my inconvenience. Fine.

Well -- couple of days later and no coupon yet. I haven't had another order so don't know if this has been solved or not. Probably not. I am going to write a longer note to drivers making it really crystal clear.....

Northern CA shopper here. Never - and I mean NEVER - shop at WM. Just a personal choice. Target and Dollar Stores also sell groceries but we avoid those also.

I have 80% of our groceries delivered from our supermarket of choice. We are club members and receive the relevant discounts on-line. Each item lists all coupons available, so if there's multiple ones you can take advantage of any or all. The yearly cost is $98 and since I order 3-4x per month it saves me money, time and gas.

We are very brand-specific so I DO NOT like substitutions, which is the only negative about delivery. However, I'm an experienced cook so the old "if life gives you lemons, etc.etc." just requires some creativity [smile]. Grocery delivery does have the disadvantage of plastic bags, but they're easily recycled. Every large grocery must, by state law, accept clean plastic bags for recycling.

The company's website is a little clunky but very clear and easy to set up specific date/time for delivery. I believe the fastest delivery is 4 hrs but I'm usually scheduling mine 3-4 days in advance so I don't pay much attention to it. I get the 1-hr window so I'm not waiting around all day. Works great, no issues at all for the last two years.

As we are also Amazon Prime members I can get free delivery, no minimum, within 2 hrs from Whole Foods. Used it once in an emergency and it worked like a charm, saved my holiday baking!

There is also an upscale on-line only service that offers locally vendored foods only. Excellent meat, seafood, cheeses, produce (it's a reliable source for Tokyo turnips, one of our winter favorites); also a wider variety of products from local producers I don't always see in the stores.

We love sausages, for example. Although everybody carries andouille and linguica and bratwurst, not everyone carries the more unusual sausages, such as merguez or a pork with turmeric and pineapple. The on-line service is wonderful for that. $65 minimum for free delivery.

We also belong to a produce CSA - there are many here. This one specializes in organic produce, and contracts with growers/vendors for produce that is perfectly good but does not meet the "cosmetic standards" that grocery shoppers insist on. They also contract for excess produce. You can have deliveries once a week or once a month; I get ours twice a month which works out perfectly for two people. Also $65 minimum for delivery, but their delivery charge is only $5.95 anyway.

I use it as a supplement, not a replacement, for the regular grocery deliveries. I have toyed with the idea of a butcher CSA but I think we'll probably stick with two local independents: one a specialty butcher and one a single-store upscale with an outstanding meat and gourmet cheese depts.

Since we're in a large city we have an excellent and large choice of markets within 10 miles. Four major supermarket chains, Trader Joe's, Costco. Nearby we also have a full-size, full-service Mexican supermarket (butcher/seafood, pastry/bakery, massive deli, fresh produce). There's an Asian supermarket chain with stores all over the state (3 near us), with those same departments except an Asian focus (Chinese, Japanese, SE Asian).

Smaller markets include one large-store local chain and one small-store local chain who offer all the standard good but both specialize in the best and widest variety of produce, organic whenever possible. Both are favorites with local chefs like Alice Waters (of Chez Panisse/Berkeley).

Tons of small independent shops: Indian, Halal, Himalayan, Ethiopian, Eastern European, Scandinavian. Also some very good bakeries and specialty delis.

Being retired we are running errands 2-3x/week, so that's when we stop in at the medium- and smaller-sized markets for specialty items.

Last edited:
Just to update from my last post. I did write Walmart about the $10 coupon they were supposed to send, but didn't. They did then send it.

I actually LIKE to grocery shop...I would never use a delivery service except for dry goods maybe, and would never use an order and pick up service.
I am with you! I love to cook and try new things in the kitchen but I never really know what I want to make until I see it in the market. Hence shopping is a creative experience. But yeah hate the lines, the people who leave their carts blocking the aisles or stan$ around chatting and don’t move!

So while I was going to do some simple steaks and corn on the grill, the broccoli and Red peppers looked great! Knowing I have onions, carrots and lentils in pantry, changed to a healthier broccoli lentil salad from an idea I got watching Gordon Ramsey on Hulu.

Being on a healthy low carb/keto diet I need to read every package as they stick sugar and starch in everything.

When we lived in Boston and I was recuperating from surgery, we used Stop-N-Shop's online shopping and delivery service. It was very nice to have everything we needed delivered right to our 3rd floor condo door.

However, now that I'm able, I LIKE the walking involved in grocery shopping. In fact, I usually make 3 circuits around the perimeter of the store with an empty cart before I make my last pass to do the actual shopping. Anything to up the daily step count...

So the delivery thing with Walmart is good but I am annoyed. The cost for annual subscription is fine. Even tipping for the delivery a reasonable amount is fine. The big issue is that every single order has been routed to the wrong address. My actual address is something like 111 Main St. W. But every order goes to 111 Main St. E. I talked to Walmart. They had no explanation since my address is right in their system. They said to contact DoorDash. I did. Doordash says any contact has to be through Walmart. So I contacted Walmart again (this is general customer service which is the only option for delivery customers). I was told that the actual store that the order is coming from is the one who contacts DoorDash and it is automated to use the address on my account (which is correct). She says only the store can contact DoorDash. She can't. I finally got from her which Walmart my orders are coming from (not the one I thought). So I guess I will call them and see what they say. I suspect they will say they are giving DoorDash the correct address so it isn't their problem.

It is more of an annoyance than anything. They can't leave an order at a house unless there is someone there. If the neighbors are at their house they send them on to us. I do write an extensive delivery note on my orders. The guy who delivered today admitted it was there but never read until he went to the wrong house (seems backwards to me). They also have my phone number so if the neighbors aren't home they can call and say that they are at my house (when they are really at the next street over). In the end I get the order, it just takes awhile.

Still this passiveness of Walmart about fixing something that clearly requires them to communicate with DoorDash is annoying.

I have ordered three times from publix and everything was correct . The meat they picked out was good as was the produce .I am actually saving money doing it this way because I really have to think through the order and not add things we already have .I will return to in store shopping hopefully soon but I would use the delivery again if needed.

When we lived in Boston and I was recuperating from surgery, we used Stop-N-Shop's online shopping and delivery service. It was very nice to have everything we needed delivered right to our 3rd floor condo door.

However, now that I'm able, I LIKE the walking involved in grocery shopping. In fact, I usually make 3 circuits around the perimeter of the store with an empty cart before I make my last pass to do the actual shopping. Anything to up the daily step count...

The local stores where I shopped before I started Walmart pick up were so crowded with shoppers and stock being put up there is no way I could get any exercise there, even mid-morning during the week. What day and time are you able to go to a grocery story and walk to get exercise? Not possible where I live.

Can you try changing the address to W. Main St? Maybe it wouldn't be accurate, but it might get your order to you.

Can you try changing the address to W. Main St? Maybe it wouldn't be accurate, but it might get your order to you.

I think the problem is that the computer wouldn't recognize it. When you put in addresses they usually look them to see if they are valid and that isn't.

I am actually pretty sure I know what is happening. Occasionally I will but in my address as 111 Main St. W in a form and the form won't take it. They won't allow the W at the end. But if you try to put the W in before Main then it won't take it either as it fails because they can't look it up. Anyway, the form truncates my address just to 111 Main St. W.

So - I suspect that the system that is used for Walmart to send orders to Door Dash probably truncates my address. Internally, Walmart has my address correct. DoorDash gets the truncated address and looks it up and they find the first valid address that starts that way -- 111 Main St. E. So they use it.

For my own personal account at DoorDash, by the way, my address shows as 111 Main St. W. So they are able to handle that address. It seems clear that what is going wrong is the info being sent to them. What a pain. I am going to call the store to see if I can get any resolution on this (and ask if I can use 111 W. Main St). But, not holding my breath.

And, everything else on this delivery thing is great. It has otherwise worked very smoothly. So I will live with this if I have to....

Still this passiveness of Walmart about fixing something that clearly requires them to communicate with DoorDash is annoying.

Any business that made me jump through hoops like that doesn't get my business. I might even give them the courtesy of telling them why, but you've already done that multiple times. And a major part of the problem of course is that no one "owns" the issue and is willing or able to fix it.

If it was me they've got the last dollar they're going to get from me.

Any business that made me jump through hoops like that doesn't get my business. I might even give them the courtesy of telling them why, but you've already done that multiple times. And a major part of the problem of course is that no one "owns" the issue and is willing or able to fix it.

If it was me they've got the last dollar they're going to get from me.

I hear what you are saying. On the other hand -- their grocery delivery is really superior to everyone else. It is significantly less money. On paper the annual delivery fee is similar to Instacart. But - Instacart uses more expensive grocery stores and the stores charge higher prices for their Instacart deliveries. If the store has a loyalty program where you get discounts (like Kroger) you don't get those plus they charge more for some items. Walmart charges the same prices as in store.

And -- the big thing is that while this is annoying it doesn't actually keep from getting the groceries. DoorDash goes to the wrong house and if no one answers they finally look at the delivery note or call me and come to our house (less than 1 minute from where they are trying to deliver). If the neighbors are home then they redirect DoorDash. So it works out but is annoying.

So - yes - Walmart doesn't deserve the business if they can't solve this (I am going to try calling the store). On the other hand, the delivery service system is actually great and has been a huge time saver for us already....

Back
Top Bottom