Guns and roses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks like this will never be convinced otherwise and will always come up with something to justify their thoughts. Way more people are killed by guns than scissors. :facepalm:
Don't be silly. I'm sure that thousands of people a year fall with scissors and pierce their hearts. Much more common than firearm accidents.

(mod hat on)

These forums are quite clearly NOT the place to debate whether or not firearms are a good idea in general for the population. Gun Rights is one of the topics specifically mentioned in the Community Rules which may be considered inappropriate, particularly when the tone of the conversation becomes disruptive.

It's getting awful close, so please take such disagreements offline or elsewhere in order for this thread to continue.

(mod hat off)

For home defense, IMHO, the best solution is to harden your house. Security storm doors, double cylinder door locks, doors with one of the various setups that impair or prevent the door from being kicked in, mylar on the windows, secure locks on the windows, fix the release cord on the garage door. Things like that, things that will make the criminal go to someone else's house.

If you don't practice on a regular basis or don't feel you could pull the trigger if in the rare case circumstances call for it, then by all means don't get one.
When I was a relatively new dad, I considered getting a gun for home defense. Before deciding, I got to spend some time with a gentleman who had been in the LAPD for 25 years. He gave me some great guidance.

He said you need to think long and hard about whether you’re willing to shoot and maybe kill another human being. He said if you’re not sure you could do it, don’t get a gun.

He also said, if you do decide to get one, you need to practice with it on a regular basis. Waking up at 3am to an intruder is not the time to figure out how to use your weapon.

I had my boys in the house, and now my grandsons are over a lot, so mine is always kept in a handgun safe in my bedroom.

Folks like this will never be convinced otherwise and will always come up with something to justify their thoughts. Way more people are killed by guns than scissors. :facepalm:

+1

Check out the Gun Violence Arcchive: Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide free online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and then post and disseminate it online.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Re: Guns n Roses, I refer to them as “Guns n Hosers”...

We named one of our dogs (a black lab) Axl Rose. Axl was a maniac for chasing a ball. He fell over dead one day while chasing a tennis ball I threw.

We named one of our dogs (a black lab) Axl Rose. Axl was a maniac for chasing a ball. He fell over dead one day while chasing a tennis ball I threw.
Now that's how I'd like to go. No, not chasing a tennis ball, but doing what I love. :flowers:

Interesting discussion but I live in a country where you would not even be contemplating this discussion as guns are not an option.

Funny how no guns allowed = low crime rate.

I would contend that the crime rate is not affected by guns. Criminals are everywhere. Hence the solution of hardening one's residence as I previously described.

In most places of the world the criminals are just are not armed with guns, thus reducing the fatalities and injuries (to perps and victims) as a result of that crime.

Now that's how I'd like to go. No, not chasing a tennis ball, but doing what I love. :flowers:

+1
We had a dog that walked in the door last year and just fell over dead (blood clot). It sure saved us from all the agony of when to put to sleep, and also the expense of the medical procedure. That is the way to go, though.

If you are not comfortable with a gun, get a can of bear spray, those things will stop a grizzly bear attack, watch videos so you can decide how you would use it.

What is better than most things for defense is wasp spray. It shoots a long way in a narrow directed spray. And the stream is constant, unlike a legal gun.

I've noticed the same thing - paranoid people spinning up other people. We recently had someone sounding the alarms about a strange man that came to her house. Turns out it was a cable company inspector who has all the right ID and was perfectly legit.

we could have a whole thread on weird posts on NextDoor!

we could have a whole thread on weird posts on NextDoor!
Yea, I live in a semi-rural area so it is mostly about lost dogs, but there was recently a lost goat and a lost pig found. And a woman who claimed a hawk was going to fly off with her 60 pound dog. :LOL:

Yea, I live in a semi-rural area so it is mostly about lost dogs, but there was recently a lost goat and a lost pig found. And a woman who claimed a hawk was going to fly off with her 60 pound dog. :LOL:

We had a woman sounding the alarm about a strange man that would park in front of her house and make cell phone calls. Turns out the man lived a few doors down and was also on nextdoor, so he read her posts about him. They exchanged words for a while, for all to see!!

What is better than most things for defense is wasp spray. It shoots a long way in a narrow directed spray. And the stream is constant, unlike a legal gun.

I was thinking of wasp spray when writing about the bear spray. However, I read/heard somewhere, that it will blind a person and using it would make you liable for injury.
However it is cheaper, and solves the wasp problem at the same time.

I like an alarm, because the cops will probably come, and the noise will frighten off someone who breaks in at 3:30 am, and wake me up.

I imagine these folks wished they had an alarm when the gun toting career criminal started pistol whipping them at 3:30 am.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...-gun-beating-charges-elgin-st-1116-story.html

I’m not sure what area you can live in to assure “you’re safe from violence”.

One can certainly mitigate it with wise choices.

Certainly, as others have said, if you’re afraid of guns, for heavens sake (and everyone around you) please don’t get one! You’ll be more of a danger than a benefit.

You quoted me so I assume you meant me, if you did not that is OK to. But being afraid of guns is not the issue, it is being concerned about the folks that wield them.

If you do have weapons (any kind of weapon) and don’t train and practice with them, please get rid of them.

More true words have not been typed here so far. I have shot competition pistol for over 25 years, in Canada, the UK and The US and have in the past earned many awards for IPSC, Tactical, Marksmanship, Skeet & a Training Certification.

The availability of good SAFE Public target ranges here where we live are few and far between, and not so easy to get to. The ones we have are poorly run, not regulated, and I have stopped going as a result. The ones that are, are not open to the public and reserved for Military and Law enforcement.

In Colorado, California, Canada and the UK, there were great clubs that were well run and a pleasure to patronize & use.

The problem in most of the USA as I see it is I think is that we let pretty much anyone have them, and encourage it.

I learned this when I went to our local CCP Training, supposedly run by a certified instructor (2 actually). If I were doing the training I would not have passed about 50% of the attendees. Most folks did not know how to dismantle and render their weapons inoperative, and were not taught how to do so. 2 ladies that were there could hardly hold the weapons they had brought with them, let alone shoot them straight. This did not seem to bother the instructors as long as everybody passed. I did ask them and the criteria is simply to make it through the day, answer a small questionnaire, and then they passed. Hardly a good measure to allow someone to carry a gun on their person into a public place. We did have a very brief target session but about 30% of the folks could not hit the target at 50 - 25 feet and could just about do it at 15. The 2 ladies mentioned above had to borrow a smaller pistol to even take part.

So I am not against guns, in fact I love responsible target shooting. Sadly I cannot hunt or shoot Skeet now because if my Pacemaker.

And for those who say it is it person not the gun, I agree. We should NOT be giving those people the opportunity to test the theory.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how guns stop cars from getting broken into. .

A guy I knew from grade school shot and killed a guy breaking into his car. That sort of stopped the car from being broken into that night.

Of course, he went to trial and was sent out on probation, which in Mass I was surprised he didn't get the electric chair. AFAIK, nobody ever tried breaking into his car after that.

Having said that he'd probably have been better letting them steal the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom