Hiker Who Got Lost Found Alive After Two Weeks in Hawaii Forest

I'm believing this story as personally, no way would I trade those wounds on my legs and losing all that weight in a couple of weeks for a book deal or attention.

Though not something I would do, does kinda make sense that someone into yoga would leave the phone in the car to unplug on what was thought of a short walk.

Although I'm mildly skeptical, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Especially since she clearly had a compromised leg, and was possibly blocked by a waterfall.

Also, I've done enough hiking to see some pretty sketchy preparation. It is real easy to run into trouble and get in over your head. I always carry extra water to share and frequently end up giving it away.

But nothing prepared me for the behavior at Angel's Landing at Zion in Utah. People hiking with flip flops with sheer cliffs and loose traction. And too crowded. Are you going to grab me when you stumble?

been there done that, just saw on the Zion webpage they are finally starting to put a daily limit on hiker numbers to ease crowding and for better flow. People, it clearly says it's a difficult climb and some areas have chains to help secure your footing..Wear some D@$m shoes.

been there done that, just saw on the Zion webpage they are finally starting to put a daily limit on hiker numbers to ease crowding and for better flow. People, it clearly says it's a difficult climb and some areas have chains to help secure your footing..Wear some D@$m shoes.

If you need to take a shuttle bus to the trailhead, count me out. :LOL:

I wholeheartedly agree. A hiker should also carry a whistle. That sound carries much further than a shout and it takes less energy.

PSA: Most modern hiking backpacks have a whistle built into the buckle on the chest strap. Unless you know that, it'll just look oddly shaped to you. So you might be prepared even without realizing it!

Also, I've done enough hiking to see some pretty sketchy preparation. It is real easy to run into trouble and get in over your head. I always carry extra water to share and frequently end up giving it away.

This reminds me of a hike wife and I did in glacier np years ago. I want to say the trail was around 10ish miles one way. We were probably 9 miles in, hiking all day, close to the visitor center when another mid aged couple came walking in our direction. They were wanting to hike to the point of where we started. I saw a single bottle of water in their hands and a camera. It was getting later in the day. I asked them how far we were from the visitor center (which was about 1 mile.) They said it was hours from here. Dafuq? They were dead serious. We told them to turn around and head back but they proceeded to a destination point 9 miles away. Not sure what ever happened to that couple. My guess is there were many others on the trail so others told them to turn the hell around or they would be stuck out there all night.

If you need to take a shuttle bus to the trailhead, count me out. :LOL:

Theres almost no parking in zion...which is why we went in Feb. Summers you have to take a shuttle bus. Also, I was really underwhelmed with zion. Maybe because it was really cold, or maybe because ive been to a lot of national parks around the country. I hate to say it but im a little jaded when it comes to breathtaking sights. I have heard the subway hike or whatever its called in zion, where you walk through the water is pretty neat.

Theres almost no parking in zion...which is why we went in Feb. Summers you have to take a shuttle bus. Also, I was really underwhelmed with zion. Maybe because it was really cold, or maybe because ive been to a lot of national parks around the country. I hate to say it but im a little jaded when it comes to breathtaking sights. I have heard the subway hike or whatever its called in zion, where you walk through the water is pretty neat.

For me now it's the crowds...it's always jam packed and you can't really enjoy the peace and beauty...having said Zion has been our favorite for many years, you could go in early December have nice weather and your own private national park. I have to say it's prettier in season but the crowds are mind blowing...have you done Capitol Reef or Death Valley..much more peaceful.

Dude. You are jaded...uhm, uhm.. I mean #woke. Zion is truly a beautiful place. That seems sad to be unable to enjoy such beauty.
Btw, the hike you’re referring to is the Narrows. And it’s quite fun, but perhaps not for you.

I believe that that hiker was stranded in the forest. It happens all the time in the PNW.

Finding your way out of the woods is one of the first lessons you teach to a child particularly if you live next to Forrest Park in Portland - as I did. We teach children to look to the horizon for the sun and the mountains to orient themselves and to take safe routes downhill as they will come across a stream or road, then follow that.

Basically to hike in remote areas, bring a jacket and a warm sweater, good footwear, a Lifestraw so that you can drink stream water safely, whistle, a hiking plan with a map, and a friend. Share your hiking plan with friends and family at home. Cell phones are rarely useful but they don't weigh much so turn it off and pack it all in a light backpack.

Last edited:
Maybe its just my cell phone, but I don't have enough battery power to last through a 10-12 hour hike. Especially if i'm running the AllTrails app the whole time. So if I'm going on a long one in an unfamiliar area, I'll turn the phone off and conserve battery power. And only use the phone in an emergency - either for a call or get my position. I'd much rather use a map and compass - that adds to the fun of it.

Maybe its just my cell phone, but I don't have enough battery power to last through a 10-12 hour hike. Especially if i'm running the AllTrails app the whole time. So if I'm going on a long one in an unfamiliar area, I'll turn the phone off and conserve battery power. And only use the phone in an emergency - either for a call or get my position. I'd much rather use a map and compass - that adds to the fun of it.

GPS works on airplane mode. Airplane mode greatly extends battery life on your phone. Hike on airplane mode.

I believe her story.

I've had a few brushes with the grim reaper to know it can suddenly all go to sh't.

I have nearly died at Hunamai <sp> Bay HI , as I nearly drowned (I used to be a life guard) . I was by myself, and thought , the life guards can't even see me. I swam back on my back with my injured leg from the reef, at the edge of panic.

DW & I out on a little trail in Nevada got lost along with another couple (strangers). I became pretty concerned as it was supposed to be a 10 minute walk, so we didn't take any water!! When I saw a road in the distance, I cut a straight line to it, figuring I'd stand in the road to stop a car. We ended up walking 1/2 a mile and saw the parking lot. Now I take water even if walking in a city tour.

Some other times, but like horse shoes, it close doesn't count. :eek:

PSA: Most modern hiking backpacks have a whistle built into the buckle on the chest strap. Unless you know that, it'll just look oddly shaped to you. So you might be prepared even without realizing it!
Ah, just looked, sure enough, it is there, and even colored orange contrast. But man, it is weak. A full size signal whistle is still worth it. The built in is better than nothing.

This reminds me of a hike wife and I did in glacier np years ago.... My guess is there were many others on the trail so others told them to turn the hell around or they would be stuck out there all night.
My war story. We make it to the top of Mt. Leconte where there are rustic cabins you have to sign up for a year in advance, and pay. We were enjoying our hot chocolate on the porch, at sunset, with rain looming, when a family wanders up, complete with two kids, one a baby, being held by the parents.

"We're here! Where's the lobby?"

Uh oh. We directed them to the manager. We knew the place was full and all hikers were accounted for with no more expected. There was zero chance this family could leave, what with darkness, wildlife and the load they were carrying.

I saw him in the morning and asked what happened. He said he didn't want to talk much about it, and was very ashamed of his mistake. He did share that they were given shelter in the storeroom or some such building. This is not standard and I don't think management wants it to be a habit so you hear nothing of it. Anyway, the gentleman clearly "got religion" from someone on just literally how much danger he put his family in. But mercy came to them and they were given a safe, dry space for the night.

It seemed to me he was "daring the system" to find space, as in a regular room. It doesn't work that way in a small, rustic place like that.

Last edited:
From "Sunset": I have nearly died at Hunamai <sp> Bay HI , as I nearly drowned (I used to be a life guard) . I was by myself, and thought , the life guards can't even see me. I swam back on my back with my injured leg from the reef, at the edge of panic.

My close call was at Snoqualmie Falls, WA. I was swimming below the falls and thought I was a good swimmer. A good swimmer I wasn't and the cold water was taking away my energy. Fortunately, my roommate on shore saw I was in trouble and rescued me.

One other thing I'll remember about that place. Above they have a look-out area/balcony. Some guy took his young child and hung her over the edge. He thought he was being funny and the poor girl was petrified.

GPS works on airplane mode. Airplane mode greatly extends battery life on your phone. Hike on airplane mode.

Thanks. IIRC, I tried airplane mode once and the battery lasted longer, but not as long as I needed. And I downloaded the map from AllTrails first so I could use it in airplane mode. Maybe the app burns a lot of power even in airplane mode. Apple Genius Bar ran diagnostics and battery seems ok. They reset it, saying that a reset could clear whatever is draining the battery, but I haven’t been on a hike long enough since to check it out.

I like the alltrails app. Gives a clear indication how to get back on trail, etc - as long as the phone has power.

Traveling light is important but you could also carry a charged up portable battery phone charger on a multi day hike I'd definitely do that. They are pretty lightweight now.

Traveling light is important but you could also carry a charged up portable battery phone charger on a multi day hike I'd definitely do that. They are pretty lightweight now.

Yes. I have an Anker 10,000 that’s lightweight and provides a little over 3 full charges on my iPhone. Between that, and hiking on airplane mode I have gone 1 full week with battery life.

My close call was at Snoqualmie Falls, WA. .....

One other thing I'll remember about that place. Above they have a look-out area/balcony. Some guy took his young child and hung her over the edge. He thought he was being funny and the poor girl was petrified.

I went to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side years ago, and at breakfast the waitress told me how just the day before some lady held her baby over the railing for a good view of the falls, and the baby slipped and went over the falls.

Other times when I've gone there I still see people sitting on the pipe railing taking a selfie, one slip and they are history :facepalm:

It's nice as you can get close, but some people do stupid things, herer is a photo showing how close everyone likes to get.
https://www.dondeviajar.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Niagara_Falls_89.jpg

I don’t see anyone going through all that for a book. She was really injured.

i watched her hour long interview, have friends that are really closer to her. when she says she knows she made a mistake by not taking X/Y/Z and this was a lesson for her i believe it. Will she get a book deal, movie deal etc who knows, but i think she will really pay it back somehow, who knows how. Teaching about hiking safety , giving money to wilderness rescue ....

I believe that that hiker was stranded in the forest. It happens all the time in the PNW.

Finding your way out of the woods is one of the first lessons you teach to a child particularly if you live next to Forrest Park in Portland - as I did. We teach children to look to the horizon for the sun and the mountains to orient themselves and to take safe routes downhill as they will come across a stream or road, then follow that.

Basically to hike in remote areas, bring a jacket and a warm sweater, good footwear, a Lifestraw so that you can drink stream water safely, whistle, a hiking plan with a map, and a friend. Share your hiking plan with friends and family at home. Cell phones are rarely useful but they don't weigh much so turn it off and pack it all in a light backpack.
Exactly!

Yes. I have an Anker 10,000 that’s lightweight and provides a little over 3 full charges on my iPhone. Between that, and hiking on airplane mode I have gone 1 full week with battery life.
Very true. The thing is all you need to do is when you leave your starting point (car, camp) mark a way point then you don't need to have that unit (GPS or Phone) on or running. Saves energy and if you need to use it for help turn it back on and get your position and go to get back.

Back
Top Bottom