Nakia Creek Fire Evacuation

We have had bears in the area a few times, such as this video from 2016.
https://www.watsondiy.com/viewer.php?vid=20161112-creatures

Let's hope that's the last close fire for many years!

Cool video! We've had bears on our street recently. Funny story- the nice young couple across from us recently moved here from New York City. He found out about the bears, and now whenever he goes outside at night, he walks slowly and claps his hands, yelling loudly "YO, BEAR!! HEY, BEAR!"
:LOL: I don't think this was a problem in NYC.

Koolau
In most fire-prone areas, and we certainly did, a large zone around property (usually at least 30 feet) is cleared of lower limbs, dead wood, and ready combustible debris (needles, leaves, etc). I had taken out twenty seven loads of about three yards each to clear out my property (the prior owner wasn't there full time and didn't do anything to mitigate... I did)

For the relative I posted above, winds of that level would have pushed flames past anything reasonable... it engulfed acres in minutes. unfortunately, the heat was such that blazes might have overwhelmed any sprinkler system, assuming that you actually have water!. In their case, the water was re-routed for use by fire departments (and there's been a bit of a drought for a few years...)

Thanks. Like I said, I really can't relate to the fire hazard near a forest. I guess it's like living as I do in Tsunami/hurricane zone. You put up with certain hazards because of the advantages (beauty, nature, etc.) Sounds like you have done the best mitigation you can. Stay safe!

Just add lots of pesky rattlesnakes, to the bears and wildfire and you have my life.

I became a firefighter a year after we moved in to our town. It was very satisfying to go get a fire truck and park it on the corner of our property.

In 2012 we had a 100k acre fire come less than 1/2 mile from our place.

mountainsoft - Glad that the fire didn't reach your property. That fire had some potential to be really bad. I'm to your west, a few miles from the Level 1 evacuation zone.

I worked helping set up the Red Cross evacuation shelter in Camas when they expanded the Level 3 evacuation zone. After seeing the damages from the Eagle Creek and Oregon wildfires a few years back, it's sobering seeing it come so close to home.

mountainsoft - Glad that the fire didn't reach your property. That fire had some potential to be really bad. I'm to your west, a few miles from the Level 1 evacuation zone.

I worked helping set up the Red Cross evacuation shelter in Camas when they expanded the Level 3 evacuation zone. After seeing the damages from the Eagle Creek and Oregon wildfires a few years back, it's sobering seeing it come so close to home.

Wow, looks like we've got a few local folks around here... Though we didn't need the shelter, thank you for the work you put in there.

I was also impressed with the fire crew camp set up across the road from the Camas airport. It was amazing to see how many folks were on hand to help fight the fire. That had to be a major logistical task with the 18-wheeler food catering truck, numerous porta-potties, and traffic control on the main highway. Then there were all the various updates, including the daily videos they were producing the final week. A lot of work for sure, but greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom