Nakia Creek Fire Evacuation

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Around October 9th, during one of our hottest and driest summers on record, a group of people (idiots) playing with fireworks started a forest fire here in Clark County, Washington. It was about 5 miles from our house, and was burning in a previously logged area with lots of brush and debris. It grew to about 50 acres before fire crews could get in, and slowly grew to about 150 acres over the following week as they worked to contain it. It was a little unnerving having the fire so close, but crews seemed to have it under control. Still, it was unsettling having helicopters and water tankers flying overhead constantly.

On Sunday, Oct 16th an unusually hot wind storm kicked up and the fire jumped the containment lines. We received a level 1 "get ready" evacuation alert around mid-morning, and within a matter of about 3 hours the fire grew to over 1500 acres, and we quickly moved to level 2 "get set", then level 3 "go now" mandatory evacuation orders. The fire was now less than 2 miles from our house, in dry forest with strong winds blowing our direction. Not good.

We quickly loaded both cars and my utility trailer with as many essentials and irreplaceable items as we could. Clothing, photos, computer backups, sentimental items, etc. Thankfully we had planned ahead with a list of items to take in an emergency, as neither of us were thinking clearly at this point.

We heard reports that another fire had started at the bottom of our road (later proved untrue), and we were fearful of getting trapped with no way out. So we tied down what we had, locked everything up, took a few last minute photos of home in case we lost everything, and headed down the hill. Police had the road blocked at the bottom of our hill so we knew it was a one-way trip out.

We weaved our way through various road blocks to our daughters apartment down town. We unloaded as many items as we could to her apartment, and parked the trailer there. Then we frantically searched for a hotel room that wasn't already booked up with hundreds of other evacuees. We finally found a room at the fourth hotel we tried.

We both went through a range of emotions through all of this. My wife immediately jumped into frantic busy bee mode grabbing everything she could. I froze, like those goats that fall over when scared. :) Disbelief, confusion, fear, etc. But, somehow we managed to work together to get out safely.

We spent four nights in the motel, not knowing if we would have a home to come back to. While the house could be rebuilt, it would never be the same since we built our home with our own hands. It's more than just a building, it has been much of our life, our own hard work, our pride and joy, and the home we planned to live out the rest of our lives in. So many memories and hopes for the future. This has been our home for 30+ years.

Thankfully, October 20th the evacuation orders were downgraded and we were able to return home. While my wife broke down early on, I managed to hold up okay until we got home. When we pulled up and I saw our home was still here I lost it and broke down crying. All that tension and fear finally released. I was hit with the pride I felt for the home we built and how close we came to losing it.

Over the next week we slowly tried to get our home back in order. We basically ransacked the place trying to grab everything on the way out, so it was a real mess.

The rains finally started the day after we returned, and we went from 80's last week to 30's and snow yesterday. Crazy.

Fires are always a fear here in the forest, so we tried to plan ahead. Overall we did fairly well grabbing the most important items. Our preplanned emergency list really helped with that. Of course, we wanted to take everything, but with just three hours and two small vehicles, we could only take the items that meant the most. Since then I have been reviewing our list to see if there is anything we should add to it. We have also been looking at ways we can improve things for the next emergency, which we hope never comes.

It was a scary and hectic time, but thankfully it worked out in the end. While thieves broke into some evacuated homes in our area, we were fortunate not to have any damage to our home or property. Fire crews did an excellent job. No structures were lost in the fire, despite how close it came.

This morning a neighbor posted a before and after photo. The first was the flames and smoke on October 9th. The second was the same hillside covered in a blanket of white snow yesterday.

I hope and pray we never have to go through that again, but hopefully we will be better prepared if it should happen.

Insurance said they would cover the costs of the hotel, meals we ate out, etc. Of course, we have a $1000 deductible and our total costs for those five days came to just over $800. So, it was all out of pocket. Figures, but the alternative would have been much worse, so we don't care. :)

Home Sweet Home and we have each other.

I’m glad that your house was spared.
Evacuating is such a traumatic experience. I’ve ran evacuation shelters for fires with people coming in who had to flee for their lives and had nothing but the clothes on their backs. It’s so sad and people are so traumatized.

I’ve never evacuated for fires myself ( knock on wood) but I have for imminent flooding 3 times.
If given enough lead time I pack everything but the kitchen sink. I totally go into panic mode.

Wow, I got chills up my spine just reading your post. I'm so glad you had your home to come back to.

Consider this as a rehearsal for if this happens again. Spending 4 days in the motel did you have thoughts of what you should have grabbed that you left behind?

I hope you NEVER go through this again!

OP - What a great posting, I felt the tension just reading your post. Glad to hear you didn't lose your house, and didn't get robbed either.

I've never evacuated, so I don't even have a list.

A good ending. I also have an emergency list of things to grab, just in case. I even have it prioritized in case I don't have much time. My wildfire risk is lower but definitely not zero. One thing I thought to add to my list recently was to duct tape a message on my front door that I've evacuated, to make it easier for emergency staff if they go door to door making sure people leave.

Spending 4 days in the motel did you have thoughts of what you should have grabbed that you left behind?

There were lots of things we wished we could have taken, but most of it could have been replaced if it really came to that (tools, furniture, etc.) We did get all the items that were irreplaceable or sentimental. At least the ones small enough to carry. We have lots of custom furniture pieces and whatnot I've built over the years. One of a kind, sentimental, and not something that could be purchased. Unfortunately, they were all too big to move out on short notice. Even if we ran down and got a moving truck, the police wouldn't have let us back in the area again.

We did take a hope chest I built for my wife when we were dating and a couple of small tables we could fit in the trailer, but that was about it for furniture.

My wife packed up most of our food as we were getting ready to leave, which I thought was kind of odd at the time. But it did allow us to make some meals at our daughters apartment, saving some money we would have spent eating out.

We could see our hill from our hotel room on the fourth floor. At night we could see lights flashing on the hill, we didn't know if it was fire or lights from the various emergency vehicles. Scary. Heavy smoke blanketed the area, making it difficult to see much of anything.

OP - What a great posting, I felt the tension just reading your post. Glad to hear you didn't lose your house, and didn't get robbed either.

And that's after settling in at home for a week... :) I'm sure this will stick with us for a while. My wife is still nervous about fire since we got back home, even though we've had heavy pouring rain since then. Very wet, highly unlikely for a fire to start or spread. Still, we see lots of people doing backyard burning now which does feel a bit uncomfortable.

We only had to evacuate once, and it was only for one night. Since then I made up a list of what we have to grab,
Attached is a photo from our front porch.

Attachments

• IMG_6971.jpg
    IMG_6971.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 19
Very happy your home was saved.

mountainsoft, really glad to hear of a happy ending to your unfortunate adventure.

I now have a better appreciation of what you went through after we were on the receiving end of a "get ready" evac warning when a 1,000 acre fire got within two miles of us a few months ago. Not a good feeling! I can only imagine the stress and emotion of having to bug out and not know for days if you still had a house!

What a story...thank you for sharing and I am very happy it all ended well. Your story is a cautionary tale for others in how to prepare for these kind of disasters.

We live in an area that is prone to fires, albeit not as severe as you experienced. Our biggest threat is tornadoes, which can be difficult to plan for. I have a "bug out" box of the most sentimental items that is close to the exit to the garage (and tornado shelter) that I can grab on the way to the shelter. All the other pretty important stuff is always in the tornado shelter in a couple of fire boxes.

[...]
Home Sweet Home and we have each other.

Oh my goodness!! I just saw this thread. What a terrifying ordeal, especially given that you built the house yourselves, and had lived there for so many years. I am SO very glad that you and your DW evacuated and are fine. And then so is your house, which is "the cherry on top" of this good outcome. It could easily have turned out so much worse; one never knows.

Good idea to update your "what to take with us" forest fire evacuation list, right now while it is all fresh in your mind! I do that with my hurricane evacuation list every few years as well.

I am so happy that it worked out okay. I live in Reno and we have had fires nearby but I live right in town and the people on the outskirts have had to evacuate. I keep my dogs leashes by the door and if I have to evacuate I will take my babies and my medications. It will probably take awhile for you both to feel safe again.

I’m so glad you and your family are safely home. Thank you for sharing as this is a good lesson for all of us. I live five miles from a nuclear power plant, so that is my big fear.

It appears mountainsoft and I live within spittin distance. Here's a photo I took looking from our back window, with the fire about 4 miles away. At the time, the fire was controlled to about 15 acres. We were evacuated that Sunday, after the wind picked up, and the fire raced southwest towards our community (southwest corner of the map). It stopped within a few thousand feet of one home. If the winds had not calmed down, maybe it would have been unstoppable. Thanks to all the firefighters, and the police who volunteered(!) to screen cars from entering our community, while we were evacuated. Even so, there were several burglaries in the evacuated areas.

Attachments

• 1667509882660.jpg
    1667509882660.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 23
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 22
Depending on your terrain one big concern after a fire comes through is flooding that often occurs after a heavy rain. The ground doesn't absorb the rain like it normally would and the usual drainage channels can't handle the additional runoff, new drainage channels get created and often not where you want them to be. It happened in my neighborhood about a month after a big wildfire, the flooding caused almost as much damage as the fire.

Mountainsoft

glad that your ordeal came out with your home intact

A relative had TEN MINUTES to evacuate in last decembers fire near Boulder (it had 80 mph wind, with gusts to 100 !)... and not the hours that you had. Unfortunately, their house was lost... still smoldering two days later, then the snow hit...total loss

In our last place, back in OR, we had the tankers flying directly overhead... and had very good views of the fires... seeing when a new set of trees set ablaze as a new torch-like flame started... having smoke so dense that the midday sun was only a red spot in the sky. Fortunately, the closest fire didn't jump the river and stayed just under two miles away. Yep... it can get scary
We'd had "go bags" and stuff ready to go.... would have put it into the truck/RV trailer (with SO leaving with one of the other vehicles, so would have lost one) if we needed to "bug out ". Usually, there's someplace that FEMA or the local emergency management have that one can evacuate to.... it might be miles away, but there's likely someplace; fortunately, we didn't need to evacuate.

Last edited:
Never lived near a forest fire area though our woods in the midwest seemed to attract tornadoes (the good news, I was never short of fire wood.)

I always wondered if there weren't some way to isolate a house from the woods (cut back a 100 feet?) OR have a sprinkler system on your roof. Probably shows my lack of understanding, but it just seems like a possible solution but YMMV.

Never lived near a forest fire area though our woods in the midwest seemed to attract tornadoes (the good news, I was never short of fire wood.)

I always wondered if there weren't some way to isolate a house from the woods (cut back a 100 feet?) OR have a sprinkler system on your roof. Probably shows my lack of understanding, but it just seems like a possible solution but YMMV.

Koolau
In most fire-prone areas, and we certainly did, a large zone around property (usually at least 30 feet) is cleared of lower limbs, dead wood, and ready combustible debris (needles, leaves, etc). I had taken out twenty seven loads of about three yards each to clear out my property (the prior owner wasn't there full time and didn't do anything to mitigate... I did)

For the relative I posted above, winds of that level would have pushed flames past anything reasonable... it engulfed acres in minutes. unfortunately, the heat was such that blazes might have overwhelmed any sprinkler system, assuming that you actually have water!. In their case, the water was re-routed for use by fire departments (and there's been a bit of a drought for a few years...)

It appears mountainsoft and I live within spittin distance. Here's a photo I took looking from our back window, with the fire about 4 miles away. At the time, the fire was controlled to about 15 acres. We were evacuated that Sunday, after the wind picked up, and the fire raced southwest towards our community (southwest corner of the map).

Howdy Neighbor! :) Are you in Autumn Hills? Your photo looks like what we saw up the road from us that first day. We're on Livingston near Hancock.

Yikes, seeing the map again brings back the memories of monitoring Facebook and Cresa pages multiple times throughout the day as the fire inched closer. My brother-in-law works for the state managing forest fires. He deals with this stuff all the time and even he was warning us to get out before the evacuation orders went up. I'm glad it had a happy outcome for all of us!

Our previous scare was in 2017 when the Eagle Creek fire in the gorge started spot fires on the Washington side. Thankfully that wasn't as close, but still caused concern. Again, it was started by kids playing with fireworks in the dry forest. What are these people thinking....

What a terrifying ordeal, especially given that you built the house yourselves, and had lived there for so many years. I am SO very glad that you and your DW evacuated and are fine. And then so is your house, which is "the cherry on top" of this good outcome.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what we would have done if we had lost our home. We certainly couldn't afford to buy a new home in our area anymore, and I'm not sure we would want to rebuild if our property was a burned out disaster area. We loved building our own home, lots of great memories. But we're older now and I doubt we would have the energy to build a house ourselves now. Having a home built for us just wouldn't be the same. It would just be a building.

I really don't know how we would start over. I'm so thankful it had a happy ending this time.

Reactions: W2R
moutainsoft--so glad everything turned out OK for you. It is so frightening to be within evacuation distance of a large fire.
The Nakia fire created so much smoke, we were breathing in that hazy smoky air for days here.

We were at level 2 in 2020, it is very hard to think on the fly of what is most important to take with you! I still have the large bag next to the safe--that was the only thing I could think of in the middle of the night when the alert came.
Good reminder to make a list for future.

Howdy Neighbor! :) Are you in Autumn Hills? Your photo looks like what we saw up the road from us that first day. We're on Livingston near Hancock.

Thanks, and howdy, too! Yup, we're in Autumn Hills, on the north side of Livingston Mountain. It's unbelievably beautiful here! We didn't think the danger of wildfires would be so high, but happy we dodged that bullet. The bears are thick as thieves here, so we have to be careful with our trash cans. Did you see the article from one of our neighbors in the Seattle Times?

My family’s close call with a wildfire taught us a powerful lesson

Yup, we're in Autumn Hills, on the north side of Livingston Mountain.

I thought the view looked similar. We drove up to the wye where the forest road splits off the day the fire started. Just being able to see it that close to home was scary.

I drove up again a couple days after we got back home, but smoke and fog prevented me from seeing anything.

It's unbelievably beautiful here!

Yep, we love living here too. It has really grown up though from dense forest to hundreds of McMansions. My wife and I often joke we live in the servants quarters, in our little 1456 sq/ft house.

We didn't think the danger of wildfires would be so high, but happy we dodged that bullet.

Yeah, way too close for comfort. This area was actually all part of the Yacolt burn, way back in 1902.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacolt_Burn

There used to be a DNR sign saying Yacolt burn area where Hancock splits off, but that "disappeared" around 15-20 years ago. I got used to seeing it, then one day I noticed it wasn't there. I have no idea why they took it down or how long it was gone. :)

There was another fire in almost the same area as the Nakia creek fire back in 2010, called the Hilltop Fire. Funny thing is I don't remember hearing about that one and there were certainly no evacuation orders.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2010/aug/15/more-than-100-firefighters-battling-hilltiop-blaze/

The Nakia creek fire was the first serious fire we have encountered in our 30+ years on the mountain. There have been a few smaller ones further away, such as the spot fires from Eagle Creek in 2017. Unfortunately, as more people move into the forest, the risk of fire increases. It seems most fires are human caused these days, and summers seem to be getting hotter and drier.

The bears are thick as thieves here, so we have to be careful with our trash cans.

We have had bears in the area a few times, such as this video from 2016.
https://www.watsondiy.com/viewer.php?vid=20161112-creatures

This year it sounds like they have been further west and down the hill more (53rd street area). We haven't seen any this year.

Did you see the article from one of our neighbors in the Seattle Times?

No I hadn't, thanks for sharing! I sent the link to my wife for her to read later too. We kind of get caught up in our own little bug out and forget hundreds of other home owners were going through the same thing.

Let's hope that's the last close fire for many years!

Back
Top Bottom