Hiker Who Got Lost Found Alive After Two Weeks in Hawaii Forest

I go nowhere without my GPS in the back country. I suppose it was a dense forest so signal would be an issue. With GPS it would show the trail and you could get back on track. They are a life saving tool and have had to depend on it a few times for finding my way out. What I do is waypoint at the start or truck then turn the unit off. If I need it (GPS) then turn on and see which way to go to get back out. I don't waste battery power. In my case it would be on for 5 to 7 hours in that case. JM2¢
She was very luck girl with what I seen of her blisters etc..

GPS? Last time I looked at the Big Dipper... the North Star was there... just sayin....

And who leaves home without their sextant?

Funny you mention a sextant. I want one. As a surveyor, I did a lot of celestial observations. But never with a sextant.

It would be fun to play with, but I don’t think they work very well on dry land where you can’t see the horizon.

Stupid woman. No signal mirror? No piece of aluminum foil? No fire starting kit?

They started busing tourists to the Maroon Bells near Aspen. It ruins the experience. :(

I remember when you had to know the dirt road to turn off at, drive a short distance to park, and hike in quite a few miles (with your water, food, tent, etc).... back in the early 70's.
today, I doubt that they even notice things like the little pikas, and likely really mess up the glacier that used to be there (used to slide down.... stopped before the edge and the sheer drop to the near freezing lake). haven't been there in ages, as I'm not in the state anymore, but I agree that the experience today wouldn't be the same.

I remember when you had to know the dirt road to turn off at, drive a short distance to park, and hike in quite a few miles (with your water, food, tent, etc).... back in the early 70's.
today, I doubt that they even notice things like the little pikas, and likely really mess up the glacier that used to be there (used to slide down.... stopped before the edge and the sheer drop to the near freezing lake). haven't been there in ages, as I'm not in the state anymore, but I agree that the experience today wouldn't be the same.
Pretty much true EVERYWHERE.

We are smothering the planet with "experiences."

And who leaves home without their sextant?

No merchant ship does. Every night the bridge must use the sextant, record its result in the ship's log. While modern GPS based systems are highly accurate and reliable it is necessary to maintain that skill just in case.

At Maritime Acadamies celestial navigation is a must-pass class, I call it applied astronomy.

I loved celestial navigation class at USNA; I felt directly connected to the explorers of old. However, as a submariner, I never got to use it in practice.

I loved celestial navigation class at USNA; I felt directly connected to the explorers of old. However, as a submariner, I never got to use it in practice.

That’s pretty funny.:LOL::LOL:

Another hiker lost and found:

A Texas man missing on a hiking trip for almost a week in Arkansas has been found safe, his family says.Searchers located Joshua McClatchy, 38, of Fort Worth, in the Ouachita National Forest after a National Guard helicopter saw his flashlight, CNN affiliate KTRK reported. He was found about 105 miles southwest of Little Rock.

McClatchy's sister, Miranda Balduf, said a team of "heroic" search and rescue workers took turns carrying him out of the remote area.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/09/us/missing-hiker-found-arkansas/index.html

Is it typical to hike by yourself?

People do it here and often they find their bodies after the winter thaw. A few professors lost their lives this way.

I do, but granted I don't go far. I take my phone (which can lose signal quicker than you'd think) but know my route in advance, and don't stray off the trail much - and any straying is not by intent but it does happen - even well marked trails have gaps and it's not uncommon to go "oh wait this can't be right...." and double back a little.

I have an annual trip I take to Tucson and finding an hour or two each day to hike some of the mountain trails is a highlight.

I do when I’m going somewhere that DW and friends don’t want to go. But I tell DW where I’m going. I almost always take a published trail with a known length and time frame, so it would be easy to find me if I don’t show up at home when I’m expected to.

Back
Top Bottom