Home Security Systems

To convert the system, they charge a one-time fee of $399 plus $29/mo monitoring. Still no contract. On the downside, they require that any additional devices on the system be purchased from and installed by them. Their prices are "OK" but the selection is somewhat limited. So I've also thought about a DIY solution using a Qolsys panel. But every time I start researching this, it makes my head hurt. Plus, DW really likes the professional monitoring.

The self update is pretty simple, really. Surety uses the Alarm.com system but they have everything you need to get up and running and you don't have to spend the $30 a month. With dispatch it's $19.00 and without dispatch it's $14. Nonetheless, $399 isn't too bad if they do it for you.

We don't really need security at either place. One is near the end of a no outlet area and the neighborhood has had very few problems and there are a fair amount of residents coming and going... and the other property is rural and a bit isoated and we have never had a problem. Our system is mostly for us to keep tabs on the places while we are away.

We have Blink cameras in each place. Reasonable upfront cost and no ongoing cost. I self installed both... one is 3-camera system ($260) and the other is a 1-camera system ($86). If the any camera senses movement it takes a video clip and uploads it to the cloud and the system sends me an alert and a video clip. Simple... and sufficient for our needs.

The other thing is the camera can tell me the temperature so I use that and a wi-fi thermostat to monitor temperature. I'm more concerned abut losing heat or AC and the place freezing or growing mold than I am concerned about breakins.

Camera lag is minimal... about 2-4 seconds in my testing of live video.

You forgot these:

Know your neighbors and watch each others places.
Make your house a bit more difficult to break into than your neighbors.
Get a big honkin' dog.
Since we are retired and there is almost always someone at home, I don't worry much having a security system. In the rare occasion when no one is here, the three control measures mentioned in the post above apply... When we are at home, if the dog can handle/deter the problem, I can!

Last edited:
We have a Radonics alarm that we bought with our new home in 1996. It has two keypads, sensors on all doors and windows, motion detectors, smoke and heat detector. It still works well after 24 years. We have changed the back-up battery about every 5-6 years. We pay $15 per month for alarm monitoring.

We also installed eight HD security cameras for perimeter monitoring with a DVR that are connected to our home network. We can access the security cameras from our phones or tablets and there are no recurring fees for the camera system.

Our thermostat and sprinkler controller are also connected to our network and we can access these systems with our cell phones and tablets.

We also installed programmable switches throughout our home to turn on/off lights automatically when we are away.

Wyze just announced they are entering the home monitoring system as of early next year. They are offering a free "starter kit" if you prepay for the first year of monitoring at $60/year.

I have not used any of their existing products but I did preorder their LIDAR based robot vacuum which is shipping in January for $199. Similarly equipped robot vacuums from other companies typically sell for around $600.

So, thanks everyone for all the replies and discussion. Very helpful.

Between what I've read here and other research, I'm still undecided but leaning towards the hardwired system, despite the higher monthly cost. Very tempted to go with Simplisafe instead, but the factors pushing me towards hard-wired are:

- Everything is integrated. With Simplisafe, for example, the smart door locks seem to be not fully there yet - lacking features (like voice control). Guardian (the hard-wire option) has all components well-integrated and full-featured

- With Guardian, everything is there day 1 (as it's installed during building process). With Simplisafe, I have to worry about self-install (however simple).

- Being hard-wired, anticipate there will be less of a "lag" like some have mentioned and which we currently experience with our RING doorbell and camera.

Still pulling me towards Simplisafe - is the lower cost; the risk of technology obsolescence with the hardwired system; and the flexibility of the wireless system. Guess it's going to come down to the cost differential and the ability to upgrade the wired system down-the-road... scheduled to talk with the Guardian guy this week... so could still go either way :)

Last edited:
We don't really need security at either place. One is near the end of a no outlet area and the neighborhood has had very few problems and there are a fair amount of residents coming and going... and the other property is rural and a bit isoated and we have never had a problem. Our system is mostly for us to keep tabs on the places while we are away.

We have Blink cameras in each place. Reasonable upfront cost and no ongoing cost. I self installed both... one is 3-camera system ($260) and the other is a 1-camera system ($86). If the any camera senses movement it takes a video clip and uploads it to the cloud and the system sends me an alert and a video clip. Simple... and sufficient for our needs.

The other thing is the camera can tell me the temperature so I use that and a wi-fi thermostat to monitor temperature. I'm more concerned abut losing heat or AC and the place freezing or growing mold than I am concerned about breakins.

Camera lag is minimal... about 2-4 seconds in my testing of live video.

We too installed Blink at both places. In addition I installed some yosmart.com temperature sensors in the freezers for some added peace of mind.

Just about everyone I know that has installed a security system has eventually turned them off because of the "hassle factor". Just wondering if that is common or I've only noted the rare exceptions.

Just about everyone I know that has installed a security system has eventually turned them off because of the "hassle factor". Just wondering if that is common or I've only noted the rare exceptions.

You can still get some benefit by self monitoring your system which is what I do. If a sensor gets tripped then a loud siren goes off. One of the draw backs with Simpli Safe is that it only sends out notices (what sensor tripped) if you pay for the monitoring, Ring will send out the notices even if you don't pay for monitoring. I've used both and prefer Ring for my situation. In either case would highly recommend that anyone with a new system start off in self monitoring mode to get a feel for the system, I've lost count of the number of times I've opened a door forgetting the system was active causing the siren to go off.

Last edited:
I have not used a monitoring service in more than 30 years. I don’t find them to be relevant any more.

We just have cameras throughout the house that alert me to motion and record activity that stores in the cloud. If we are out of town and a motion alert comes up we can monitor what’s going on and call the police if appropriate. Paying a service monthly to do this seems unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom