Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My thinking was that disassembly was a major opportunity to screw it up.
A very wise decision, IMHO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The gas tank issues with the Rav4 have scared me away and i'm starting to look at the CRV as my top choice.
The gas tank issues only apply to the Hybrid RAV4s, IIRC.

I think Toyota is handling the gas tank issue on the RAV4 Hybrids much better than how Honda is handling the gasoline in the oil issue of the CRVs. That's based upon what people here have been saying and my experience with a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. YMMV. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We own a 2017 CR-V Touring. No issues so far. It works. It has enough power to overtake on the mountain roads & gives us about 30mpg in town.

As for driving in the snow, I believe its as much the driver's skill (or common sense) as the car. I am an average driver at best but had no issues with front-wheel drive cars like the ford taurus or the honda accord. This is our first AWD. It took a couple of drives in the snow to get used to the AWD, but it works just fine.

We live in Denver & before that, lived in NJ. In NJ, they plow the roads. Here, except for the major roadways, it has to snow many inches before they plow.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Wow! Some more great advise. Now, I don't know if I want a CR-V. LOL The RAV4 has it's issues also, so I don't know what to do.
In general, Honda's reliability, is gone. People's "good" experiences (long lasting vehicles), pertain to when Honda did build good reliable vehicles.

The oil/gas dilution, issue is real. And Honda Mfg. solution is just to extend the warranty. Not fix the defect.

You would have better luck, with a Toyota product.

Good luck....
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
In general, Honda's reliability, is gone. People's "good" experiences (long lasting vehicles), pertain to when Honda did build good reliable vehicles.

The oil/gas dilution, issue is real. And Honda Mfg. solution is just to extend the warranty. Not fix the defect.

You would have better luck, with a Toyota product.

Good luck....
This is exactly what two different Honda techs working at large dealerships have told us. No fix, just warranty work.

We have a 2006 Accord 6cyl and have been extremely happy with it.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #26

Duplicate
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Stay away from the 1.5 liter turbo engine in the new CRVs. Try to find a gently used 2018 with 2.4 Liter Vtec. My wife’s 2007 is an excellent vehicle. Awesome in the snow, comfy all around and does well with economy. 158,000 miles and ticking like a Swiss watch.
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #28

I guess the only thing is I would end up with a CR-V there is a 5yr/60k mile on all powertrain. Get rid of it before before warranty is up.

We have a 2007 civic for just bumming around etc. and has been flawless and extremely happy with it.

I see that Chevy uses that 1.5L 4 cylinder Turbo engine as well, and thing in the Equinox.

Maybe I need to go back and look again at the 3 cylinder that is used in the Trailblazer that I initial was looking to purchase. Then I found out they aren't a good engine either.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #29

I bought a 2017 CR-V with 18k miles in December. Got one with the 2.4 liter engine, no turbo, to avoid the oil dilution problem. One reason I went with the CR-V is that it's a leader in cargo space for mid-size SUVs. I may be sleeping in it from time to time, and it has plenty of room for that, plus a roomy back seat for some of our larger friends. I've had two other Honda vehicles, a CRX Si and an Acura Integra, and both were great vehicles, so I felt confident with Honda.

I just put a stiffer rear anti-sway bar on it to put a little extra snap in the cornering. Part number UR-AR16-603 from Ultra Racing for the 2017+, if anyone's interested.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:21 PM   #30
gone traveling

I have a 2012 CR-V EX-LN, made in Japan.

AWD performance sucks in Colorado winters. It also "features" the cold-start (now became first-start) engine grinding noise. Which is super annoying, making you feel like your car is a clunker. There is a honda Technical Service Bulletin, which mentions about a newer part number for the VTC Actuator, and allegedly fixing the issue, but you replace it and the issue will re-emerge after a while. honda does not want to admit they had a bad engineering with this car, they are too proud (silly Japanese pride, that is)...

Also it doesn't have great fuel efficiency, even with "econo" mode ON almost all the time. City = 23 MPG, long drives = maybe 27-28 MPG.

OP, do not buy Honda CR-V! It is a piece of shaite - I have lost my confidence in honda (written in lower case, because it's not worthy of a capitalized name!)
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
DW has a 2014 CRV. It has the typical problem of the valve cam timing device rattling at start up and some transmission surging. The valve cam noise problem would have been covered under warranty, but it required significant engine disassembly and it is a noise problem, not a mechanical failure problem, so we did not have it fixed. [...]
Not exactly correct. It is also a mechanical failure problem - the VTC actuator (hydraulically-driven) may get worn out prematurely and leading, eventually, to a more serious failure.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Not exactly correct. It is also a mechanical failure problem - the VTC actuator (hydraulically-driven) may get worn out prematurely and leading, eventually, to a more serious failure.
Not what my research found. It only has 50K miles. We'll sell it long before that fails.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:42 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Not what my research found. It only has 50K miles. We'll sell it long before that fails.
This forum thread may come handy in understanding the issue:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/thread....36273/page-68

I've got mine in 2016, used, with about 38k miles on it. Now I've reached about 70k miles. Driven more often in the beginning, but after getting a 2nd car (2014 Mazda 3) for work, it's only DW driving the honda (shopping and driving kids to school).

In any case, fuel efficiency, and cost-wise, and even in terms of stability on the road, CRV's do not make sense to me anymore (even with 2 kids).

So ... sedans all the way! I love the Mazda (also manufactured in Japan).

AWDs and 4x4's kind of feel overrated - if one is really into that, then a car that is really tall, with very large wheels and enough clearance underneath, are a better choice anyway. Not even a Subaru (which is kind of a cult car here in Colorado, and overpriced because of that).
Old 02-22-2021, 05:39 AM   #34

Quote:
I have a CR-V that I purchased new two years ago. I have had no problems with it. I bought it November 2018. I traveled extensively in 2019, plane trips not road trips. In 2020 once COVID restrictions were needed, I went no where. A tank of gas will last a month or more.
Things I like, backup camera, blind spot warning, heated seats, great visibility. . It is easy to drive and the seats are comfortable.
We got a 2018 CR-V in late 2017, about 48,000 miles on it now. Sold an Equinox. We like the CR-V much better. It has been more reliable, gets much better mileage, and has more cargo room. The Equinox was 25-27 mpg highway, and the CR-V is 34-36 mpg. We had the engine software fix for the oil issue and do not notice it now. I like to use a waffle foam pad on my seat and find the front to be very comfortable; my wife doesn't want a pad. We would definitely get another one next time.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Street,
My 2018 Civic had the turbo 1.5L engine.
I didn't observe the oil dilution problem, but it is concerning for long term reliability of the engine.

It was the nicest looking/running/driving Honda I've owned, and I've had a few.
I really liked it. Traded it in for my truck.

I did observe that it took a very long time to get heat from the heating system on this car, and I read that was a characteristic of this engine. Get the heated seats if you buy the CRV with this engine.

Take care, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I haven't seen much in old threads on the Honda CR-V reviews from you folks.

So, I had a thread started on Chevy Trailblazers and now have switched my search to the Honda CR-V EX 2021.

Any input with pro's and con's I would like to hear them. I very interested in the AWD performance and how they do in snow/ice etc..

I have a Honda Civic now and have had 0 problems and I would say it has been one of the best vehicle I ever bought. Price wise. fuel wise and had everything I needed in one outfit.
Search Honda CR-V oil and gas problem. It's a major issue and you'd want to know it has been solved in whatever model you buy.

We have a 2017, with no extra bells and whistles. It's ok, but based on this CR-V and previous Civic, I am not really a Honda supporter.

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata runs fine. Of course there was that engine-replacement thing (at their cost). LOL.

If we get another car it will likely be a Toyota RAV-4. Maybe Highlander, but those are $$$$.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I am an average driver at best
Bite your tongue!
That's the most un-American comment I've ever seen.

EVERYONE is an above average driver -- it's taken for granted.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #38

Thanks everyone again, for all your experience and knowledge on so many other topics then money. I really do value and take your comments and experience to use in.

I'm not sure what outfit I'm going to pursue but will weigh my options carefully.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #39

My GF's friend has a 2021 CRV that I've driven a few times. The road noise is excessive at least compared to my 2015 Acura TLX.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #40

We try to keep up with the compact SUV class, in case anything bad happens to DW's 11 year old one. I do all maintenance and repairs on our vehicles, and we keep them for a long time.

I crossed off the CR-V, due to the oil dilution problem. Also because the only engine available now is the turbo engine. I do not want a gas turbocharged engine. I would rather have a vehicle that gets a couple MPG less, if need be, that can be worked on, and is not a high-strung underhood nightmare.

Lately, our prime replacement candidate would be a Mazda CX-5, with the non-turbo 2.5L engine. There are high trim levels with a 2.5L turbo, but we would avoid that due to my no-turbo rule. The CX-5 has good reliability, and good reviews.

The CR-V was on the list, prior to the turbo.

Sure, there are lot's of people who like the boost of a turbo, and zip all over in traffic. But it is unlikely that they keep them long-term, or work on them themselves.