Honda CR-V Owners

Duplicate

Last edited:
Stay away from the 1.5 liter turbo engine in the new CRVs. Try to find a gently used 2018 with 2.4 Liter Vtec. My wife’s 2007 is an excellent vehicle. Awesome in the snow, comfy all around and does well with economy. 158,000 miles and ticking like a Swiss watch.

I guess the only thing is I would end up with a CR-V there is a 5yr/60k mile on all powertrain. Get rid of it before before warranty is up.

We have a 2007 civic for just bumming around etc. and has been flawless and extremely happy with it.

I see that Chevy uses that 1.5L 4 cylinder Turbo engine as well, and thing in the Equinox.

Maybe I need to go back and look again at the 3 cylinder that is used in the Trailblazer that I initial was looking to purchase. Then I found out they aren't a good engine either.

Last edited:
I bought a 2017 CR-V with 18k miles in December. Got one with the 2.4 liter engine, no turbo, to avoid the oil dilution problem. One reason I went with the CR-V is that it's a leader in cargo space for mid-size SUVs. I may be sleeping in it from time to time, and it has plenty of room for that, plus a roomy back seat for some of our larger friends. I've had two other Honda vehicles, a CRX Si and an Acura Integra, and both were great vehicles, so I felt confident with Honda.

I just put a stiffer rear anti-sway bar on it to put a little extra snap in the cornering. Part number UR-AR16-603 from Ultra Racing for the 2017+, if anyone's interested.

I have a 2012 CR-V EX-LN, made in Japan.

AWD performance sucks in Colorado winters. It also "features" the cold-start (now became first-start) engine grinding noise. Which is super annoying, making you feel like your car is a clunker. There is a honda Technical Service Bulletin, which mentions about a newer part number for the VTC Actuator, and allegedly fixing the issue, but you replace it and the issue will re-emerge after a while. honda does not want to admit they had a bad engineering with this car, they are too proud (silly Japanese pride, that is)...

Also it doesn't have great fuel efficiency, even with "econo" mode ON almost all the time. City = 23 MPG, long drives = maybe 27-28 MPG.

OP, do not buy Honda CR-V! It is a piece of shaite - I have lost my confidence in honda (written in lower case, because it's not worthy of a capitalized name!)

Last edited:
DW has a 2014 CRV. It has the typical problem of the valve cam timing device rattling at start up and some transmission surging. The valve cam noise problem would have been covered under warranty, but it required significant engine disassembly and it is a noise problem, not a mechanical failure problem, so we did not have it fixed. [...]

Not exactly correct. It is also a mechanical failure problem - the VTC actuator (hydraulically-driven) may get worn out prematurely and leading, eventually, to a more serious failure.

Not exactly correct. It is also a mechanical failure problem - the VTC actuator (hydraulically-driven) may get worn out prematurely and leading, eventually, to a more serious failure.
Not what my research found. It only has 50K miles. We'll sell it long before that fails.

Not what my research found. It only has 50K miles. We'll sell it long before that fails.

This forum thread may come handy in understanding the issue:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threa...on-cold-start-up-crv-and-accord.36273/page-68

I've got mine in 2016, used, with about 38k miles on it. Now I've reached about 70k miles. Driven more often in the beginning, but after getting a 2nd car (2014 Mazda 3) for work, it's only DW driving the honda (shopping and driving kids to school).

In any case, fuel efficiency, and cost-wise, and even in terms of stability on the road, CRV's do not make sense to me anymore (even with 2 kids).

So ... sedans all the way! I love the Mazda (also manufactured in Japan).

AWDs and 4x4's kind of feel overrated - if one is really into that, then a car that is really tall, with very large wheels and enough clearance underneath, are a better choice anyway. Not even a Subaru (which is kind of a cult car here in Colorado, and overpriced because of that).

I have a CR-V that I purchased new two years ago. I have had no problems with it. I bought it November 2018. I traveled extensively in 2019, plane trips not road trips. In 2020 once COVID restrictions were needed, I went no where. A tank of gas will last a month or more.
Things I like, backup camera, blind spot warning, heated seats, great visibility. . It is easy to drive and the seats are comfortable.

We got a 2018 CR-V in late 2017, about 48,000 miles on it now. Sold an Equinox. We like the CR-V much better. It has been more reliable, gets much better mileage, and has more cargo room. The Equinox was 25-27 mpg highway, and the CR-V is 34-36 mpg. We had the engine software fix for the oil issue and do not notice it now. I like to use a waffle foam pad on my seat and find the front to be very comfortable; my wife doesn't want a pad. We would definitely get another one next time.

Last edited:
Street,
My 2018 Civic had the turbo 1.5L engine.
I didn't observe the oil dilution problem, but it is concerning for long term reliability of the engine.

It was the nicest looking/running/driving Honda I've owned, and I've had a few.
I really liked it. Traded it in for my truck.

I did observe that it took a very long time to get heat from the heating system on this car, and I read that was a characteristic of this engine. Get the heated seats if you buy the CRV with this engine.

Take care, JP

I haven't seen much in old threads on the Honda CR-V reviews from you folks.

So, I had a thread started on Chevy Trailblazers and now have switched my search to the Honda CR-V EX 2021.

Any input with pro's and con's I would like to hear them. I very interested in the AWD performance and how they do in snow/ice etc..

I have a Honda Civic now and have had 0 problems and I would say it has been one of the best vehicle I ever bought. Price wise. fuel wise and had everything I needed in one outfit.
Search Honda CR-V oil and gas problem. It's a major issue and you'd want to know it has been solved in whatever model you buy.

We have a 2017, with no extra bells and whistles. It's ok, but based on this CR-V and previous Civic, I am not really a Honda supporter.

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata runs fine. Of course there was that engine-replacement thing (at their cost). LOL.

If we get another car it will likely be a Toyota RAV-4. Maybe Highlander, but those are $$$$.

Thanks everyone again, for all your experience and knowledge on so many other topics then money. I really do value and take your comments and experience to use in.

I'm not sure what outfit I'm going to pursue but will weigh my options carefully.

My GF's friend has a 2021 CRV that I've driven a few times. The road noise is excessive at least compared to my 2015 Acura TLX.

We try to keep up with the compact SUV class, in case anything bad happens to DW's 11 year old one. I do all maintenance and repairs on our vehicles, and we keep them for a long time.

I crossed off the CR-V, due to the oil dilution problem. Also because the only engine available now is the turbo engine. I do not want a gas turbocharged engine. I would rather have a vehicle that gets a couple MPG less, if need be, that can be worked on, and is not a high-strung underhood nightmare.

Lately, our prime replacement candidate would be a Mazda CX-5, with the non-turbo 2.5L engine. There are high trim levels with a 2.5L turbo, but we would avoid that due to my no-turbo rule. The CX-5 has good reliability, and good reviews.

The CR-V was on the list, prior to the turbo.

Sure, there are lot's of people who like the boost of a turbo, and zip all over in traffic. But it is unlikely that they keep them long-term, or work on them themselves.

My GF's friend has a 2021 CRV that I've driven a few times. The road noise is excessive at least compared to my 2015 Acura TLX.

When we test-drove used 2017-2018 CR-Vs and Rav4s for DS, the CR-V road noise was very noticeable. I think it is a generic problem with Hondas. We have an old Odyssey that we love, but it is noisy.

I own a 2016 CRV AWD with 76k on it. I come from a high durability mindset because we typically keep em until they die. My only candidates when looking were the Rav4 and the CRV. I chose the CRV because it was a better design. This is my first Honda.

I was considering a Acura MDX but living in the rustbelt and having dogs, the extra money would be wasted.

No major issues so far. The whole Maintenance Minder vs a regular maintenance schedule and only offering the turbo engine makes me think that Honda maybe lost its way.

Last edited:
When we test-drove used 2017-2018 CR-Vs and Rav4s for DS, the CR-V road noise was very noticeable. I think it is a generic problem with Hondas. We have an old Odyssey that we love, but it is noisy.

Part of it is also the tires. I used to have a 2007 Subaru that had horrible road noise. When the tires needed replacing I did a search and prioritized low road noise. Although it was still noisy on the highway the tires I bought lessened the road noise considerably.

So, it's a combination of tire choice and proper sound deadening. Tire choice can help but can't overcome poor design.

We had a 2001 that we bought in 2003 and kept until 2018. It had about 175,000 miles on it. It handled even Minnesota winters with no trouble. We upgraded in 2018 to a 2016 Acura MDX and have been very happy with it, too. I read somewhere that the Acura RDX, kind of the Acura equivalent to the CRX, is being discontinued.

So ... sedans all the way! I love the Mazda (also manufactured in Japan).

I absolutely love my Mazda6. It’s hands down the best car I’ve ever owned; handles fantastic, 40 MPG on the highway and 190 HP. Great in snow with Blizzaks, a great car.

One nice thing Toyota has going for it. On some engines, Toyota has direct fuel injection into the cylinders like most other manufacturers. But, Toyota also still has a single gas injector in the throttle body. That sends gas to the intake valves to help prevent carbon buildup, among other things.
You'd have to do some research to see which models have this. I would feel much better about long term performance with this type of fuel system.
I currently have a 2016 Acura MDX. It's been a good vehicle, but suffers from a poor performing transmission. I test drove a new RDX. It's a really impressive vehicle. The big drawback on the RDX is the touch system for the media unit. It's not really intuitive, although I think you'd get used to it with a little use.
Right now, I'd say my next vehicle will probably be a Rav4 or a Venza.

Thank again for you replies. I'm planning on getting a New 2021 Toyota RAV4 LE SUV AWD or the Hybrid in this model.

Looks like a 2.4 L 4 Cylinder. Between the the hybrid or regular RAV4 there is only 600$ more for the Hybrid.

So Hybrid or regular RAV4 would you choice?

We test drove CRVs and the RAV4 hybrid also the Kia Sportage and Nero, Mazda cx5. I really liked most of them, none of them fit us as well as the Tiguan that we did buy. I'd go the hybrid with Toyota every time, they have it all figured out.
If you could go with a smaller car do give the Kia Nero a drive. We drove low mileage hybrid lease return that impressed us.

Last edited:
So Hybrid or regular RAV4 would you choice?

I'm partial to the hybrid because the difference in mileage is huge. About 12mpg more when I bought my 2019. But, there are some weird things about the hybrid. For example, there is no reverse gear on the hybrid. They just spin the eletric motor backwards. And the AWD has not physical link between the front and back wheels. They usea 3rd electric motor to power the rear wheels and use that when needed. The 3rd motor also acts as another generator to recharge your traction battery.

You might check this guy's series of videos on Toyota hybrid design.

In this brand new series I will go over all components of the hybrid system explaining their basic function in a simple way that's easy to understand. The theme of this series is simple but complicated. The hybrid system in Toyota cars is super complicated and a marvel of engineering. In this series I try to keep things simple and light so Toyota Hybrid owners can see how their cars work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom