Houston Photo Enforcement: Red light violation

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I receive my first Photo Enforcement Violation this morning in the mail. It directed me to a website where I can admire my handiwork via photos and video. Both photos and video are amazingly clear, there was absolutely no doubt that I entered the intersection after the light turned red. There is, however, NO picture taken from the front, showing the driver's face (but I'm sure it was me.) Guilty and willing to pay the $75 fine.

One note in the notice bothers me: "Payment is admission of liability."

Does that mean this violation will be in my driving record, accessible to my beloved insurance company? If so, what should I expect as far as percentage premium increase? I am Houston and Geico is my insurer.

Thanks,
Sam

Sam,

I don't have a clue as to the consequences of your red light incident as far as your insurance rates go. But I did want to say how nice it is to hear someone just admit guilt and step up to the bar to pay his tab. No whining. No con games. What a pleasant variation from the typical cry baby crap we commonly hear from folks these days! :flowers:

Yes, for the most part our members are amazingly high quality people, IMO. Thanks for being one of them, Sam! :flowers:

In the summer of 1998 I got a speeding ticket on I-10 in St. James Parish. (It was a lovely, sunny Saturday with nobody else on the road, I got carried away and was clocked at something like 74 in a 65mph zone. Law enforcement came out of nowhere. It cost me a small fortune.).

In the fall of 2002, I was talking to my insurance agent and found out that it wasn't even on my record. He checked online and it just wasn't there. That was a surprise.

In the fall of 2002, I was talking to my insurance agent and found out that it wasn't even on my record. He checked online and it just wasn't there. That was a surprise.

You didn't do the "Insta-pay" option and pay cash to the cop, did you? :)

You didn't do the "Insta-pay" option and pay cash to the cop, did you? :)

ROFL!!! Nope, I had to mail a HUGE check ($200? I have forgotten) to St. James Parish within a short period of time. I think the address was written on the back of the ticket.

Edited to add: Hmmm.... you don't suppose? :cool: Maybe I was scammed. He did look pretty official and so did his car. Scared me to death.

Last edited:
In the summer of 1998 I got a speeding ticket on I-10 in St. James Parish. (It was a lovely, sunny Saturday with nobody else on the road, I got carried away and was clocked at something like 74 in a 65mph zone. Law enforcement came out of nowhere. It cost me a small fortune.).

Don't minor tickets normally roll off the record after three years? I would be surprised if it was still on your record four years later.

Don't minor tickets normally roll off the record after three years? I would be surprised if it was still on your record four years later.

Oh!! Maybe so. The insurance agent seemed to think it would still be there, but then what would he know anyway. He was kind of a doofus.

Groan! I'm going to have some serious issues when I get back to the States with my Mini - 100-110mph average on the Autobahn around here - 75mph seems like watching grass grow....

I received one of those photo tickets in the mail also. Fortunately, I was in the DC area and was babysitting my granddaughter and let my DD and DS-in-law borrow my car, so I was not driving. I sent it back stating my DS-in-law was driving and he paid it after they sent it to him. I am planning on checking car ins prices after March of this year, to see if I can get better rates. I was looking at one of the apps an insurance co sent to me and one of the questions was, Have you had any tickets in the last 3 or 5 yrs (can't remember which) and I did not want that ticket on my record.

Yeah, I got one where I'm living now a couple years ago, too. Just like Sam, my attitude was "I was caught!" Sometimes it just isn't worth the emotional energy to fight it.
But I sure as shooti'n watch my speed now when I drive...:blush: Guess that's the whole idea of the ticket.

My wife was once hit by a red-light runner. She was turning left, but after being sure that the light was red, and cars in the opposite direction were slowing down to stop. This guy accelerated, and hit her car in the rear quarter. Her car was totaled. She was scared, but not hurt. The guy drove a big pickup, and had a minor dent on his front bumper.

I strongly suspected that he did it intentionally, because he sued and collected $40K from our insurance for himself and two friends in his huge pickup, for mental anguish, whip lash, etc... etc...

So, automatic cameras at all intersections? Need any new law for that? Where do I sign?

Good! My taxmoney at work, eh?

Alright! Two thumbs up!

You can tell that our, particularly my wife's, attitude changed after that accident. Before that we were somewhat against it. Here's another story.

A few years earlier, my wife got a photo ticket for speeding in Paradise Valley. She swore up and down that she was not speeding. I occasionally speed, but not my wife. She's the most law-abiding citizen I know. She said that she clearly remembered that there was another car passing her at that spot.

Anyway, I went with her to the PV city hall to contest it. What do you know? There was another car in the picture, and they were supposed to throw out any ambiguous photos like that!

So, she was vindicated, and I felt good about not expressing any doubt about her innocence (ok, I did have some doubts but kept it to myself :D )

So, she was vindicated, and I felt good about not expressing any doubt about her innocence (ok, I did have some doubts but kept it to myself :D )

A smart man indeed!

An unintended consequence of red light cameras.

They are fairly new around here and signs are posted at intersections that have them. Since there are < 10 in the city, everybody knows where they are. We also have 7 months of winter with icy roads etc. and usually the city is [-]frugal[/-] cheap and only sands the last few yards before the intersection. Result:

1. Light turns yellow
  2. Driver floors the brake pedal to avoid ticket (which she shouldn't get on yellow)
  3. Yet another rear end collision.
If I wasn't retired, I'd open a body shop at one of these intersections.

Back
Top Bottom