How church has changed...

I'm a regular attendee at my Catholic Church. People seem to dress decently albeit comfortably/casually, but then again we wear coats for 6 months out of the year so about all I've seen for months are huge puffy down coats. Survival mode.

I, too, am impressed (jealous!) at the great hats on both men and women attending a local black Baptist church!

Are you sure you're not thinking of the United Church of Christ, traditionally known as Congregationalists? (that's my church) The UCC is very progressive. As I understand it, the Churches of Christ (i.e. - no "United") are generally quite conservative.

Me bad. That's what I get for using Wikipedia for my information and not understanding what I am reading. I'm hesitant to ask my relatives very much about their religious beliefs as they know I have not attended church since junior high.

I'm planning to relocate upon retirement and one idea that I have for meeting people is to attend a Unitarian chuch. One of my co-workers, who has a similar outlook on life as myself, attends and enjoys the services. And I find the Bible to be interesting from a historical perspective.

Last edited:
I was not there, but I doubt Jesus required certain attire for those who attended his sermons.

As a kid I went through all the ranks of the Altar Boys. Did the bit of guarding the plastic baby Jesus in the chreche at three AM for my shift of thwo hours holding the candelabra which was bigger than I, sucker was heavy too. Dress was formal, mass in Latin.

Learned that priests like vino more than water. When pouring the water they pushed up the pitcher with the chalise, while for the wine they dropped it down so the mix was closer to 80% vino with some water:D At the end of the mass, they went around to the back of altar and finished off the pitcher of vino.

Last fifty years I dutyfully attend weddings and funerals only. Wearing three piece suit, as is fitting and proper. Many show up dressed slovenly, have disdain for them.

I was not there, but I doubt Jesus required certain attire for those who attended his sermons.

Jesus didn't require respect but he certainly deserved it. Dressing up for church or any other important public function is a sign of respect. He didn't require dressing up but he could give you the what for if you weren't.

See the parable of the wedding banquet.

“But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.
13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

I don't attend church anymore, but it was getting more and more casual toward the end of my attendance, which didn't bother me. When I started w*rking as an engineer, we had to wear suits with white shirts everyday. It didn't make us better engineers and actually hampered doing the job well. I can't recall that it improved relationships between peers or management. It did some give some people an excuse to strut around in very expensive suits. So, for me, dress doesn't matter much unless someone is showing so much skin that it is a distraction.

Back
Top Bottom