How did you meet your spouse?

We met at college, but I knew her older brother first. We (BIL & I) took a class together. First time we met we had an argument - and haven't stopped arguing since. The professor didn't care for the BIL, so the following year when his younger sister enrolled, the prof introduced me to her - just to irritate the brother. We dated through college, and when we decided to get married, her two older brothers tried to talk her out of it.

Been married twice (divorced 1st time and widower 2nd time). I met my Life Partner on the Senior Dating web site. We met in person the first time at a Barnes & Noble and then had lunch. For me it was love at first meeting (it took her until the next week when we had our first date). Last month we celebrated one year of being & living together.

Met current friend online on a science forum ~4 years ago, he was married. He is divorced now (I had nothing to do with it).

That's what Mother told me a long time ago: "Eventually you have to get out of bed and start talking to each other."

He did some chores for me last week.
He sewed a button onto my jeans and peeled some oranges (my hands don't work very well anymore).

He sounds wonderful, Khan! I am so glad you met him. :)

Met in 1977 as she was heading for Mexico City to work. Kept in contact. She got married in 1981 to a Mexican. After 14 years, she divorced him and gave me a call. We have been together since June 1, 1995.

Met current friend online on a science forum ~4 years ago, he was married. He is divorced now (I had nothing to do with it).
That's what Mother told me a long time ago: "Eventually you have to get out of bed and start talking to each other."
He did some chores for me last week.
He sewed a button onto my jeans and peeled some oranges (my hands don't work very well anymore).
You go girl! :clap:
I am very happy for you. Nobody should be alone. :flowers:

We met at a Dunkin Donuts in Youngstown OH. He was with my cousin and I was waiting for my boyfriend who worked the afternoon shift at a car assembly plant to meet me after his shift ended. DH told my cousin he would let him drive his fast car, but only if I came along. I did not want to go, but my cuz really wanted to drive the car. As we were pulling out, my boyfriend was pulling in and saw us leave. He lived next door to my cousin, which was where I was staying at, and saw that we did not get home until the next day. He came over later that day and asked my older cousin to go do something with him and did not talk to me. So, when DH came over later we went out again. DH was in the AF and stationed in Columbus OH. He left on Sunday and came back the next weekend to get me and my cousin and we went back to Columbus OH to live with him. Those were some wild times. There was 6 guys and 2 girls living in a big house that was constantly filled with other people too. We married 1 month from the day we met. That was in 10/71, so we have been married for over 38 years. Another cousin ended up marrying the boyfriend that lived next door.

I met my wife 30 yrs ago on the beach in Santa Monica. I was 29. I had never been to that specific beach before, I have never returned. I was there with my friend Jay. We went to check out one of our fellow employees who we knew would be there in a bikini. She was a knockout. Later in the afternoon, I saw another woman who I thought was very attractive. When she walked out to the water to get wet, I walked up next to her and introduced myself. Bold, but it worked. For those of you who think I might be a cad, she had her two small children with her, who I eventually provided for......

just a note in passing, on our first date, I took her to my favorite comedy club. The warm-up comic started the show and was talking to people in the audience. You know how they often wander thru the audience and they like to tease people? (FWIW, I remained silent throughout) He walks up to me and says "Hey, didn't I see you here last Saturday night? Weren't you here with another girl?......(more teasing)" Obviously, the point was to embarrass me in front of my date. The audience laughed hard at his teasing. I'm sure he used that line often to get a laugh during his warm-up. The problem was that my face turned absolutely scarlet because I HAD been there the prior week with another woman. No one knew this, of course, but me. I'm sure he had never seen me before.

Great stories!
I am single so I have nothing to contribute.
Now, will anyone admit to an arranged marriage?

I guess you can say that my maternal grandmother had an arranged marriage. Her brother brought her from Greece in 1907, he paid her way steerage and met her in NY after she was processed through Ellis Island. He brought her back to Pittsburgh where he worked as a laborer in the steel mills and lived in rented quarters with his wife and a daughter. He quickly told her that he could not afford to support her and had found a husband for her amongst his co-workers, a single Greek guy her age who was a hard worker, did not drink much, saved his money, etc. They met once. Their second meeting was their wedding. They were married until their deaths in the 1960's and raised six children to adulthood, all college graduates. My dad always said that the most important element of a successful marriage was two people who wanted to make things work because the honeymoon was over in 6 months. I don't know, maybe some truth in this.

A matchmaker introduced us, and it was a perfect-for-us match. I can't imagine a better, more dependable, loving, caring, partner. We went to school together, graduated, a few months after her daughter, rebuilt our house together after having it flooded a couple of years ago. ( I know what the tsunami victims are going through and feel for them).

Our 18th anniversary of our first time together is coming up on March 22. I call it our Red Star anniversary and will surprise her with a red star to celebrate it. It's a tradition. Fiddler on the Roof:smitten:

We're darksiders!

Did they call it that back then?

I met Mrs Hawkeye in '95, during my extra semester of college (I did the 4.5 year program). She was in NROTC, and I was growing my hair as long as I could. She graduated in '97 and got commissioned into the Navy's Nurse Corps that May while I was still a civilian. I looked into going to OCS that same year, and applied despite her thinking the Navy wasn't for me.

I got commissioned in '98, so she was always senior to me, and outranked for several months when she promoted to LTJG and then LT. She got out after 5 years, did the reserves for 3 more, and is now completely out, while I hope to do what Nords did. 6 years and change to go!

Darksiders: USNA Midshipmen who become a married couple. She may not use that term for a few years, as it doesn't apply to ROTC grads. I mis-read your post, I took it to mean Mrs Nords also attended Annapolis. I think you really meant HS.

As you know, you don't have to be smart to fly in the Navy! My wife likes to remind me sometimes.

It was pitcher night at the local college pub, a Tuesday night. Cute strawberry blonde girl walks in with a brunette haired friend. I ALWAYS dated brunettes. My buddy is immediately enamored with the brunette I started talking to. He says: "I know you only date brunettes, but I really like this girl, will you dance with her friend"? Reluctantly, I agree. We have a great time and end up going to an afterparty with her and the brunette and 3 other friends. By this time I am quite drunk and making a fool out of myself.

The night ended about 4 am and we left. I tried to get her phone number but she refused to give it to me. She never told me where she lived so I had no way of finding out how to get ahold of her. Luckily, my buddy went to HS with one of the girls holding the afterparty.

After letting the fog clear, and retracing my steps, I end up at the friend's house. I told her who I was and she rang me into the dorm. I went to her room and asked for the blonde's (future DW's)number. She said: "I don't think she wants to see you, you are obnoxious and a drunk, and she's too nice for you"!!!

I looked the gatekeeper straight in the eye, and said: "She's an adult, I think we should let her decide". Eventually the gatekeeper gave me future DW's number, and I called her. She agreed to a date, and we went out to dinner. It's been over 20 years, 16 years married, 2 kids, and all is well............:)

I met my DH on a trip to CA in 1987; he was a freelancer for the company I worked for. When I returned to the UK we started emailing back and forth. At the time we only had 300 baud modems, where you could send ASCII text files. This was before AOL, before websites were invented (thanks Al!). A few weeks later we were emailing thousands of words a day and my boss noticed the phone bill...so I convinced him to upgrade to a 1200 baud modem....but somehow the phone bill got even larger!

A few months later he invited me to go with him on vacation in Mexico. How could I say no?! A few months after that we went to Paris. A few months later I moved to the US and we eloped to get married shortly afterwards. Still happily married!

I believe we were the first internet romance!

Blind Date

Mutual friends dinner and snow-shoeing. after that a wicked game of ping-pong... it's a wonder my wife agreed to a second date. I might be a little bit competitive;)

My husband and I will be married for four years this October. We both divorced after long marriages, and we met on an online dating site, and dated for a year before getting married.

The moment I saw his picture I knew we would be together. So handsome!

We are very lucky to have found each other and we talk about that frequently.

DW "found" me on an ancient internet site - "Studs & Duds".

Unfortunately (for her, not me) she entered a Ö in the wrong box :cool: ...

Heck, it will be 42 years in September that we're married. Some mistakes work out...

Awww, these are some of the cutest stories ever! Such romantics among us!
I was all of 18, dealing with the aftermath of our big Charleston hurricane in 1989 and without anything to do since our family farm was going to be without power for a long time. I started hanging out at the dive shop where I did my certification and helping with raising sunken boats at the downtown marinas.

Turns out that DH was my dive instructor's roommate and showed up at the shop one day while running errands. We went out with a big group of people about a week later, started talking, and have never stopped talking in the 20 some odd years since, 17 of them married.

I always told him I hooked up with him because he was, at 8 years older than me, able to buy me beer! Our age difference was huge back then, but seems less with every passing year.

10th Grade English Class, KCMO in 1974.
Dated off and on thru HS and College.
I graduated in 1980, got a job and moved out of state.
We lost track of each other for 20+ years.
She married someone else in 1981. I did the same in 1986.
She was divorced in 1991, for me it was 2001.
Heard from a friend she was in PHX, looked her up on a business trip.
We got married in 2003; it would have been 35 years this year if she'd said "yes" the first time I asked, way back in 1976...

We got married in 2003; it would have been 35 years this year if she'd said "yes" the first time I asked, way back in 1976...
Maybe or maybe not. Lots of things happen in 35 years, not all good! I think a mature pairing is a special deal.

Back
Top Bottom