What effect did retirement have on your marriage?

Retired in 2017. DW has been out of the workforce since mid 1990's. It has been an adjustment for both of us. It helps us both that I have shed/workshop around the backside of our property that I can spend time so that we both have our space.

My DH retired a few months ago, but I'm still working. I definitely wanted him to have a 1-year head start so that he could figure out what he wanted to do with his free time, without me around to make suggestions. :) So far, he's taken over some of the cleaning and almost all the cooking. He seems to love to cook. It's a surprise to both of us.

I'm slowly asking him to do little favors for me during the day -- get something from the store, wait for a package, fix something. He does it all cheerfully. It's nice. Back when he was working, I'd never ask for favors like that. He had very little free time and his job was stressful. I think the fact he's in a better mood helps our relationship a lot. And my life is better because I don't have to do all the domestic chores plus working.

I had thought that there would be more of a gap between DH's retirement and mine, (with him going first) but another grandchild is on the way, and children may need our help due to son's deployment.

I don't think I would enjoy traveling alone.
I agree-I have done some traveling after my wife died, but there is nothing like sharing the experiences with one you love.
I have remarried, and the experiences are so much better.

Back
Top Bottom