How do I child-proof these stairs?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DS is on the way, and it will be a while before he is walking, but I'm wondering how to child-proof these stairs on the open side, or at least to keep him from being able to get on the stairs at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
DS is on the way, and it will be a while before he is walking, but I'm wondering how to child-proof these stairs on the open side, or at least to keep him from being able to get on the stairs at all.

Note that as I understand it the stairs don't meet any building codes due to the lack of a railing on the open side. So the first step would be to put a railing on the open side with ballisters about 6 inches apart to make sure that no one can fall thru. (check with the local building code for exact spacing details).

Note that as I understand it the stairs don't meet any building codes due to the lack of a railing on the open side.

Yes, but was hoping to put off the baluster project for a while...

Note that as I understand it the stairs don't meet any building codes due to the lack of a railing on the open side. So the first step would be to put a railing on the open side with ballisters about 6 inches apart to make sure that no one can fall thru. (check with the local building code for exact spacing details).

+1

This is an interesting photo - the stairs in our previous house were exactly the same design, but had a railing and balusters. Once you have that, closing off the bottom is much easier.

Not meeting building codes is true, but the bigger issue is the fact that a child dropping from one of those top steps would likely suffer tragic if not fatal injuries. You really don't have much choice but to install balusters that meet code. Kids are incredibly capable at defeating gates and obstacles, don't try that. DD lived in a 4 story townhouse (totaled maybe 1300 sf; it was London) with three kids at the time. While no baluster danger, they pretty quickly learned where not to go. However, there's a big difference between a tumble down some stairs and one off the high height you have.

Just suck it up, let your inner architect cry a few tears, and make it safe for the little one!

I agree. This is not a project to procrastinate. I think the code says a 4 inch sphere cannot pass through. Look up your local code before you start. I built custom gates with matching balistares when the kids were small. A magnet held them against the wall when not in use. Came in handy for years when little ones visited.

Try a Google image search for "baby fence for stairs" You'll see some creative uses for the baby play-yards to block off the bottom of the stairways.

While I agree with following code, if you don't, how about a good "baby gate" at the top? If he starts at the bottom, you just have to bite the bullet and do it right.

A 'baby gate' won't do the job but for a month or two once the babe begins to crawl. Do the right thing and provide a proper baluster.

Yes to complete railings or a half wall coming down the stairs, and hinged, permanently attached and locking baby gates at both top and bottom. Congrats on DS's imminent arrival. Your protective instincts will swell mightily soon.

Yes, but was hoping to put off the baluster project for a while...

You would have to do it before you sell your house in any event since the lack of a railing is not up to code. Just bite the bullet and do it... it'll be out of the way and will be safe for your coming DS.

If you have a guest who falls on those stairs you could have a liability issue as well.

I would get a few cans of that spray foam insulation, the orange stuff that expands exponentially. Fill the entire stairway with it, then cut a tunnel through it to allow access up the stairs. You can either trim the outside and paint it to look like a wall, or leave it natural for a sort of cave man look. Perfect safety.

If you are a father, job number one is making your child safe.

If you can't make the changes, find someone who can

I would get a few cans of that spray foam insulation, the orange stuff that expands exponentially. Fill the entire stairway with it, then cut a tunnel through it to allow access up the stairs. You can either trim the outside and paint it to look like a wall, or leave it natural for a sort of cave man look. Perfect safety.

I would like to hire you as my GC! But it might be more cost-effective to just spray foam the baby in a giant sphere...

Last edited:
Agreed on the baluster, I've never, ever, seen an open staircase like that. And I'd bet your homeowner's insurance underwriter would have apoplexy at the sight of it too. There might even be a coverage exclusion in the policy for stuff that doesn't meet code, meaning you'd be on the hook yourself if a guest fell and was injured or worse.

Agreed on the baluster, I've never, ever, seen an open staircase like that. And I'd bet your homeowner's insurance underwriter would have apoplexy at the sight of it too. There might even be a coverage exclusion in the policy for stuff that doesn't meet code, meaning you'd be on the hook yourself if a guest fell and was injured or worse.

Of course the issue is when the stairs were built what was the code? Houses are expected to meet the code at the time of building or major remodeling, not necessarily the current code. I recall my grandparents house built in the 1920s for example had essentially an open basement stair (all be it with no baluster railings on each side. Of course the fundamental reason for putting in rails and balusters is safety and with a kid coming it makes sense to do so. Of course safety has increased in the 1950s when I grew up cabinet doors did not have child proof locks nor did electric outlets get covers, nor did I ride in a child seat (they were not around then).

Of course safety has increased in the 1950s when I grew up cabinet doors did not have child proof locks nor did electric outlets get covers, nor did I ride in a child seat (they were not around then).

Oh yes. I was born in 1950 so we grew up without all that safety stuff then too. Seat belts? Never heard of 'em. Bicycle helmets? I doubt they were even made then. And yes I did blow a fuse when I stuck a screwdriver in an outlet and on and on....

It's a wonder we survived.:LOL:

Oh yes. I was born in 1950 so we grew up without all that safety stuff then too. Seat belts? Never heard of 'em. Bicycle helmets? I doubt they were even made then. And yes I did blow a fuse when I stuck a screwdriver in an outlet and on and on....

It's a wonder we survived.:LOL:

I once stuck a plug 1/2 into a socket and tried to cut them off with a metal scissors. Blew a fuse.

I'm told at age 4 I rode a tricycle down a flight of stairs onto a concert slab.I doubt it affects me much. :confused:
There was a gate, unlocked. Probably a lesson in how to approach this problem.

I once stuck a plug 1/2 into a socket and tried to cut them off with a metal scissors. Blew a fuse.

Stuck my finger in a light socket once. Still remember very well that pulsing sensation as my body tried to absorb that juice...

Materials in red oak under $1k, no more than two days work for a good finish carpenter, maybe only one day if they've got their act together. Couple of days for staining/finishing and good to go. Excellent idea for your own personal safety as well as house guests, youngins' included. Eventually will become a glaring necessity for selling home, as other have noted - so why not just do it now and benefit from the added safety factor?

Reminds me of a whole series of one-liner jokes called; "That'll learn 'em" Where the redneck dad has a kid that keeps hurting himself.

For example, a TV on a TV tray. The kid starts crawling over to the TV, tugs on the cord and the TV falls on the kid. "That'll learn 'em", the dad says.....

There are a bunch of these. Let the kid climb the stairs and if he takes a header, well.....

Back
Top Bottom