Votes: 32 21.3%
  • 4 (Mostly cheerful.)

Votes: 78 52.0%
  • 5 (Doing the Snoopy Dance!)

Votes: 24 16.0%

• Total voters

LKH

Recycles dryer sheets
It seems to me there's a higher level of friction on this forum than on others I've frequented and moderated. I'm assuming a lot of it has to do with this being a forum for people who are pretty goal-oriented and finance-focused. I wondered if this impacts your general state of well-being.

If you vote that you could be happier, what do you think will make you happier? If you are really pleased with your life, what makes it so grand?

a pulitzer prize winning colleague of mine once described me as living with my "head in a rainbow colored cloud". i'd describe myself as one of the happiest saddest people i know. my younger cousins & little niece & nephews have all commented on my laughing so much & so often.

i suspect that your perception of the "friction" here has less to do with anyone's level of happiness as it does with the--how do i put this delicately--highly evolved sense of self which seems to permeate this forum.

there's a lot of very accomplished people here. i would estimate the average iq level at about 25 points above national. i would not confuse someone's debating skills with their own inner-personal ones.

As I heard a radio announcer say one day (as I was waking up):

"Hey, any day you wake up without a toe tag is a good day!" :)

lazygood4nothinbum said:
a pulitzer prize winning colleague of mine once described me as living with my "head in a rainbow colored cloud". i'd describe myself as one of the happiest saddest people i know. my younger cousins & little niece & nephews have all commented on my laughing so much & so often.

i suspect that your perception of the "friction" here has less to do with anyone's level of happiness as it does with the--how do i put this delicately--highly evolved sense of self which seems to permeate this forum.

there's a lot of very accomplished people here. i would estimate the average iq level at about 25 points above national. i would not confuse someone's debating skills with their own inner-personal ones.

Good point! I guess I'm just thinking of me - when I get fractious, it's usually because I'm unhappy about something, e.g. worried, feeling ill, or hyperfocused on some goal and frustrated that it's not coming easily. I go there less and less often as life goes on, but I have learned to recognize the signs.

I don't think I have ever been one of those people who have a perpetual smile plastered to their faces. However, despite all the awful things that have happened over the course of my years I believe I am in a happy place, even though I may not convey that to others.

Of course when my alarm goes off at 6.00 a.m. to get up for work you could put me in the definitely very unhappy camp.

What makes me happy is an appreciation for those things I do have in my life and for me that has been the realisation that I do have a wonderful spouse, we both have our health and the freedom to choose what direction our life goes in.

Going to work doesn't make me happy, but knowing that we can use that money to escape from the rat race and find our true passions, does make me happy.

DangerMouse said:
Of course when my alarm goes off at 6.00 a.m. to get up for work you could put me in the definitely very unhappy camp.

I get you. I'm usually too groggy to be unhappy, but I'm definitely NOT a morning person. If God had meant me to see a sunrise, he'd have made it happen at 2 am.

I am a mostly happy person because I choose to be.

I've had jobs that have sucked and mostly just flowed with it. Some pretty unpleasant times all seem to yield to whatever I tell myself my outlook is. I like what one of the above contributors said: any day without a toe tag is a good day.

Probably self-delusion but it works.

This is one of the least argumentative boards I
have followed on the internet. I agree that there
are many large egos present, but most seemed
earned. Since (I believe) most arguments are between
people who are insecure in their beliefs, the low
hostility level here makes sense.

You want to see arguments, check Political Asylum
of Motley Fool, or any of the ER boards where
"He whO Can USurp any topic" has spent any time.

LKH said:
If God had meant me to see a sunrise, he'd have made it happen at 2 am.

I'm as happy as can be because I appreciate the universe around me without the need to force religious mythology into every discussion.

LKH - I agree with Cycling that this is not a very hostile board. I used to see flame wars that would curl your hair on Usenet. What you do see here are a lot of differing opinions. One reason is that, while primarily focused on ER topics, this board is open to discussions of anything. IMO, the robust, open discussion is one of the best features of the board. And try to remember, just because someone pokes at one of your hot buttons doesn't mean they don't like you. ;)

I sometimes think that I am just wired to not be very happy at a base level. Then again, it could be that I would be a lot happier if life involved a lot less toil. I hope to find out one day.

LKH said:
It seems to me there's a higher level of friction on this forum than on others I've frequented and moderated.

Really? I think most of the people are especially helpful, well informed and willing to offer advise.

Using Brewer's metaphor of wiring, I would say that I am probably wired to be reasonably happy. And right now I am working on some life changes that I hope might make me a bit less frustrated.

A lot of what I call happiness is just a sense of humor as I am not particularly gung-ho about anything.

And a bit of budgetary breathing room surely goes a long way, that's definite! :)

Ha

Let's see, lemme take a peek at Vanguard Indexes.... yep, still up. And, and, and the pension checks made it this month. Oh, and da SS checks didn't bounce. I'm so happy I could scream. In fact, I believe I will. Did you hear it? :LOL:

donheff said:
LKH - I agree with Cycling that this is not a very hostile board. I used to see flame wars that would curl your hair on Usenet. What you do see here are a lot of differing opinions. One reason is that, while primarily focused on ER topics, this board is open to discussions of anything. IMO, the robust, open discussion is one of the best features of the board. And try to remember, just because someone pokes at one of your hot buttons doesn't mean they don't like you. ;)

I've been frequenting forums since before there was an internet. I've run into my share of trolls and particularly on forums that are mostly occupied by younger people, a lot of flame wars. But generally, IME, when the forum is geared toward adults and more mature folk, you can even disagree about things and still do it without mean-spirited comments about a person's profession or family. Even on the theology forum I moderate, which can get very contentious, the "regulars" are able to find ways to differ without losing their basic respect for one another.

I haven't been posting here that long, and by and large, I think most of the folks are cordial and friendly. But I've also encountered a couple people who can't seem to play like grownups.

LKH said:
I haven't been posting here that long, and by and large, I think most of the folks are cordial and friendly. But I've also encountered a couple people who can't seem to play like grownups.

You may also find that many of us don't like to be told what to do. Except of course by the duly appointed moderators of this board.

Ha

LKH said:
It seems to me there's a higher level of friction on this forum than on others I've frequented and moderated.

Really? I must have been on the wrong boards, this is one of the most civil I've seen.

I have my ups and downs but I figure once I ER the ups will be more than the downs. I tend to be a cheerful person as long as some putz doesn't aggravate me first thing in the morning.

As for this forum, it also has it's ups and downs :)

If you think we're boring, you could try richdad.com.............. :eek: :eek: :LOL:

I don't know if you would call my current state happiness; I would call it peace.

It took 54 years to attain solitude, and it is wonderful.

The contemplative life was not anticipated, but is embraced and cherished.

Retired Jan 1993. Age 49.

Now - what was the question?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh :D :D 8).

Back
Top Bottom