How many countries have you been to?

Last edited:
12.. I expect to triple that in short order just after ER.

30. All in the Northern Hemisphere. Need to try the other half someday.

The number of places I reported earlier might seem high, but the truth is that I have such superficial knowledge of those places, either just passing through or spent just a night or two.

To really travel the world, one cannot do it by airplanes. The world looks small when one is cruising at 35,000 ft altitude and at speed of 500-600mph. But when one is on a ground vehicle, it is a totally different thing!

A few years back, I read a couple of books by Jim Rogers, an eccentric billionaire who toured the world twice with ground vehicles. The first trip was on a motorcycle, and the second time in a specially built SUV. Each trip took a couple of years. He talked about traveling through war-torn countries, and places where there were no roads. Each time he crossed the borders, he had to deal with customs and immigration. He bought and eat local food, negotiated and arranged for transportation and repair of his vehicles.

Now, that is a real word traveler. I will have to check out and read his books again.

I loved his book Adventure Capitalist. I think he's maybe a better writer/adventurer than hedge fund operator these days, though. :D

And I've only got 11, dang it. But if we make it to the mongol rally next year, I will up the tally considerably!

29, all were at least a day except for a few cruise ship stops (I only counted them if I actually got off the ship).

31 for me. I could not find St Martin anywhere so that is probably +1

Many mutiple times. e.g. US Cda Mexico France Italy Philippines Malaysia

Got some good ideas for the bucket list.

32 countries with visits of at least a week. Didn't count 1 day type stops. Also didn't count about 6 Central American and 6 Caribbean because it was Spring breaks in college and I cannot recall anything about the countries other than the hotel rooms and the drinking.

31 for me. I could not find St Martin anywhere so that is probably +1

Many mutiple times. e.g. US Cda Mexico France Italy Philippines Malaysia

Got some good ideas for the bucket list.

St Martin is part of the Netherlands Antilles. Some really nice places to visit or live IMHO.

2 for me. US and Canada. I won't fly coach and can't afford First Class so no flying for me. Also can't afford a cruise. I might briefly visit Mexico(just south of the border by San Diego) sometime but unless I come into an unexpected large sum of cash, that will be the end of my travels outside the US.

Last edited:
16 is my tally :D

USA including Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands*
Canada
Mexico*
Germany
Holland
Denmark
Spain*
Monaco *
Italy *
Greece* and 1 land based trip to Crete
Turkey*
Aruba*
St Maartens*
Barbados*
Cayman Islands*
Jamaica*

* means port of call excursion on a cruise
all others were land based vacations

Also didn't count about 6 Central American and 6 Caribbean because it was Spring breaks in college and I cannot recall anything about the countries other than the hotel rooms and the drinking.
Just how many years were you in college, Zero? :D:cool:
That sure seems like a lot of spring breaks!

Cool link!
I have visited 27 countries and lived in 5. Looking forward to visiting a few others when I finally retire.

St Martin is part of the Netherlands Antilles. Some really nice places to visit or live IMHO.
Even though the status of St Martin changed in 2007 to become independent, the construction of this survey would include it in the Netherlands-Antilles bringing my total to 32. Thanks Micheal.
Netherlands Antilles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On 3 November 2006, Curaçao and Sint Maarten were granted autonomy in an agreement,[12] but this agreement was rejected by the then island council of Curaçao on 28 November.[13] The Curaçao government was not sufficiently convinced that the agreement would provide enough autonomy for Curaçao.[14] On 9 July 2007 the new island council of Curaçao approved the agreement previously rejected in November 2006.[15] A subsequent referendum approved the agreement as well.
Our friend's daughter is going to school there. An adventure, for sure.

Even though the status of St Martin changed in 2007 to become independent, the construction of this survey would include it in the Netherlands-Antilles bringing my total to 32. Thanks Micheal.

Our friend's daughter is going to school there. An adventure, for sure.
Oh my. I stand corrected. Thanks for this item, Keith. It might not be a bad idea to brush up on my Caribbean geography. I may revisit my country total as well.

Between your user ID "CMH in CO" and the Colorado mountain comment, I think you can add 1 more, USA. :angel:

You are right. :rolleyes: --forgot the obvious. We are going to the Florida Keys next month. Can I just pretend it is another country? That would bring me up to 5.

Cass

Last edited by a moderator:
We ended up on road trips into Central America so lots of borders with just one visit.

We are going to the Florida Keys next month. Can I just pretend it is another country? That would bring me up to 5.

Cass
Based on my experience there, I think it qualifies along with New Orleans. They are definitely "must see" places in the lower 48. Unlike any other towns.

I have to confess that I've only been to three besides the States. That would be Mexico, Canada and Japan (Okinawa). I would love to visit the home of my ancestors, Germany, but will never get DW out of the country again. Plus, there are so many places in the United States I'd rather see before foreign countries. I guess I'm kind of a home body.

29, But they don't include antarctica, which, if one country, would add one. And I didn't count visiting a base of a country in antarctica. Counted the islands on cruise stops, but I've vacationed on some of those islands as well. Farthest west for me is Hawaii, farthest east is Turkey. North? Probably Winnipeg. South: Lemaire channel.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tommy: Did you hear I finally graduated?
Richard Hayden: Yeah, and just a shade under a decade too. All right.
Tommy: You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Richard Hayden: I know, they're called doctors

Back
Top Bottom