How much do you tip for carry-out or a buffet?

CompoundInterestFan

Recycles dryer sheets
Just curious. I guess I've always done just a few bucks regardless of the total, since no one's actually waiting on you.

Is this a pretty common practice, or am I just being cheap? :)

If I get my own drinks and refills they get nada. If they bring me a drink or a refill of anything I leave a buck or two.
2fer

How much do you tip for carry-out or a buffet?
Zero. The only people working on that order are the kitchen staff, and I sure hope they're not counting on the tip pool to take care of them.

... or a buffet?
If someone actually drops by our table and does something good, 10%.

If no one drops by or if they do bad things, zero.

We do the vast majority of our dining out (as often as once or twice a month!) in full-service restaurants, and there I tip about 20% for good service. We all know we'll be back.

If I pay at the counter and I have to get my own food then I don't tip.

Zero for carryout unless they throw in something extra (like dessert).

A couple of bucks for the buffet if they bring drinks and refills, otherwise a dollar for the person who cleans up the tables.

I try to refrain from tipping on carry-out, though I always feel guilted about throwing a couple of bucks in the tip jar when they say something like I gave you some bread which is so stupid when the bread is probably included in the price.

I'd say buffets and carry out $0 appropriate.

i cant speak for the rest of you, but the folks I see bussing tables at buffets work very hard. I always tip them

We tip. If someone is removing our plates and is refilling our drinks. Hell if I know if thats right or wrong heh.

Having worked in food service, I tip rather well.

But being severely frugal I don't dine out much.

Tip for carry-outs....nada.

Tip for buffet....a buck per person at our table, so normally $2.

(I try to avoid buffets....if I want to wait on myself, I'll stay home! :D )

Having waitressed at times in my younger days, as did our daughter......we are generous tippers.

And not just for that reason. Our feeling is that if we feel we have to chintz somewhere, it's not going to be at the expense of some person doing a hard job for not such great pay.

We don't usually tip at a carryout place unless there is a tip jar in evidence, but we always leave a decent tip at buffets where the servers bring you a drink and carry away used plates.

Our motto on saving money is never to save money at someone else's expense. If we have enough money to eat out, we have enough money to tip well. If tipping will make us feel strapped, we shouldn't have been eating out in the first place.

LooseChickens

For all the folks saying that they tip at buffets, how much do you tip? Is it the same 15%-20% that you would at a full-service restaurant?

Buffet/carry-out ~ 10%; full-service ~15-20%, depending on how "full" the service is...

Typically a buck a person at buffets. Take out - I don't think I've ever tipped. I may give a $10 or $20 at christmas this year to the cooks at the mongolian grill I frequent once a week.

Full service: 20%
Buffets: $1 per person
Takeout: 0

We don't tip at carry out.
If the buffet is one in which people pick up used dishes, refill drinks, etc we tip.
If they are really good (i.e. used plate is taken away while you are getting seconds) 15%. As always, it does depend on the level of service. The better the service the more the tip.

Carry out... no tip..

Buffet, usually no tip, but will round to the nearest dollar at times...

I don't have refills of water etc... and some buffets you get your own..

Carryout Zero

Buffet, if they're bussing or bringing things 10%

Full Service 15-20+% unless something in the server's control goes terribly wrong.

Nothing for carry out - there wasnt any service to speak of. A buck or two per plate in a buffet.

I don't tip for carry-out. But we have a few places that have "Carside To Go". You call in your order and tell them your car model and color. When you get there you park and they come out and get your charge card or cash and then bring your order to your car. For that we tip $2-$3.

bssc said:
Zero for carryout unless they throw in something extra (like dessert).

A couple of bucks for the buffet if they bring drinks and refills, otherwise a dollar for the person who cleans up the tables.

thats what we do also.

Back
Top Bottom