How the Internet Divides Us

I take it as a positive. I just learned that people who live in gated communities are not all rich and paranoid.

Just thinking out loud--and with not much thought to it--I do that, I wonder if the telephone did the same thing. It allowed family members to move further away but still keep in touch.

It divided and connected us at the same time, but we'll never know how many people felt better about moving 1000 miles from family who would've otherwise not moved. The train and airplanes provided the same shrinkage of space.

Having said that it's true that there is a confirmation bias (right word?) where you end up finding like minded individuals sharing even the most obscure positions.

Personally, I think the internet is the best thing to come along since electricity.

I've believed in the past, and still do that the internet is an accurate reflection of society. Guess that's the chicken or the egg question. Does the internet bring about the divide or was the divide already there and the internet just shines the spotlight?

I believe it was ERD50 who said "You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts". Very wise.

Diversity of thought is the one form of diversity that is often not mentioned and not wanted. Very sad.

I'm sure I've said it here on this forum, but I hope no one thought I was laying claim to originating it!

I actually seem to remember it from Ronald Reagan, but my memory may be faulty on that. But there is this:

There Are Opinions, And Then There Are Facts - Freakonomics Freakonomics

This is often attributed to Moynihan. However the forthcoming Yale Book of Modern Proverbs has as its earliest citation for this saying the Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, Jan. 6, 1950, which printed “Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.” The New Mexico newspaper attributed it to Bernard M. Baruch. Since 1950 was long before Moynihan came into prominence, Baruch seems to have the strongest claim to priority.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom