Hurricane Irene

The forecast is getting worse and better at the same time. She's dropped from a Cat 2 to a Cat 1, but the potential storm surge has been upgraded from 2-4 feet to 6-8 feet. Seeing as we're 10' above sea level and tomorrow night is a new moon (higher tides), I'm starting to sweat bullets. I'm not as worried about the 85 mph winds as I am the rising water.

We've proofed our house as much as is possible, considering. Luckily (or smartly on DW's part, since she talked me into it) we've got hurricane shutters on the 3 sliding glass doors that will be facing the major winds. Tomorrow morning I'm moving everything irreplaceable (pictures and paperwork, mostly) up to the second floor. Then taking pictures of everything left, and loading the car with what we need to flee. Just in case. I had the propane tank (underground) topped up today, so the generator will run for a couple of weeks if necessary. And I've got a call in to the HVAC people to find out what we need to do if it looks like the water will go into the crawlspace where the geothermal systems are. Do we need to flip breakers before we run away? Or just leave it to turn off by itself? As long as we don't flood, I think were safe, assuming no flying projectiles. Luckily, there are few trees or other potential hazards around. If it was just me I'd be tempted to be doing the drunken hurricane party thing, but I've got DW and the dogs to think about. If the water gets halfway up our yard we're leaving, because by then the roads will be a couple inches under water.

On the other hand, we've been talking about wanting to move, but can't sell the house for anywhere near what we paid. Maybe it will wash away and we can go somewhere else (a hill in Missouri, maybe) and start over. How's that insurance process work, I wonder?

The forecast is getting worse and better at the same time. She's dropped from a Cat 2 to a Cat 1, but the potential storm surge has been upgraded from 2-4 feet to 6-8 feet. Seeing as we're 10' above sea level and tomorrow night is a new moon (higher tides), I'm starting to sweat bullets. I'm not as worried about the 85 mph winds as I am the rising water.

I'd feel the same way.

harley said:
We've proofed our house as much as is possible, considering. Luckily (or smartly on DW's part, since she talked me into it) we've got hurricane shutters on the 3 sliding glass doors that will be facing the major winds. Tomorrow morning I'm moving everything irreplaceable (pictures and paperwork, mostly) up to the second floor. Then taking pictures of everything left, and loading the car with what we need to flee. Just in case. I had the propane tank (underground) topped up today, so the generator will run for a couple of weeks if necessary. And I've got a call in to the HVAC people to find out what we need to do if it looks like the water will go into the crawlspace where the geothermal systems are. Do we need to flip breakers before we run away? Or just leave it to turn off by itself?

You can flip the breakers before you go. It's easy - - no problem. Then you don't have to worry about it. I always forget but have never had any damage due to forgetting. But, I did worry a bit.

harley said:
As long as we don't flood, I think were safe, assuming no flying projectiles. Luckily, there are few trees or other potential hazards around. If it was just me I'd be tempted to be doing the drunken hurricane party thing, but I've got DW and the dogs to think about. If the water gets halfway up our yard we're leaving, because by then the roads will be a couple inches under water.

That would be too late to be leaving. You don't want to get stuck if the water is deeper elsewhere, and traffic may be a huge problem. I'd suggest leaving earlier and just going on a little vacation for a couple of days somewhere inland.

harley said:
On the other hand, we've been talking about wanting to move, but can't sell the house for anywhere near what we paid. Maybe it will wash away and we can go somewhere else (a hill in Missouri, maybe) and start over. How's that insurance process work, I wonder?

Take your insurance policies with you if you evacuate. Might come in handy. :)

Another thing on our "power outage imminent" checklist is "make ice."

Is anyone in SC, NC, or even parts North online to give an update? What has happened in your neck of the woods?

We hung out down at the marina last night (Harley you say drunken hurricane party like that is a bad thing!)
The hand held wind speed thingy got up to 24 knots while we were on the boat, but all our rain was early in the day as the big feeder bands came through. It is such a distinctive way the wind comes in with hurricanes. It is distinctly circular. There was a magnificent sunset to reward our sitting out there in the wind and we had a good "trial run" on prepping the boat for the next one.
Good luck to the rest of you!

Here in SE Virginia I'm not in a flood prone area and so can't comment on that but the power had been off for about 4 hours and is currently back on (not a problem as I have a whole house genny) for now...

Tornado warnings just east of us....lots of torrential rains with heavy wind gusts that look like they [-]will[/-] could finish covering the yard with debris :blush:...and this monster is STILL well south of us!

Good luck to all ~ please stay safe!!

Edited to add that there are parts of the local area that have been issued mandatory evacuation orders (mostly due to projected flooding) for the 1st time in my lifetime (and I have lived here all of my 56 years).

Last edited:
Darn meteorologists, can't they figure out exactly where this thing will go a couple of days ahead?
I'm married to one, so I've heard this discussion quite a bit.

Hurricane forecasting has improved tremendously in the last 15 years, mostly due to computing power (being able to analyze volumes made up of progressively smaller increments). However with a big storm like this one it's still difficult to precisely locate the eye, and when it's that big there are many smaller effects which add up unpredictably.

"Locating the eye" varies with the weather, the hurricane flights, how close the satellite is to the storm, and whether it's day (visual) or night (IR).

If the storm gets over land then it's even more difficult to analyze.

Spouse mentioned that one nationally-known METOC legend (Max Mayfield) came out of retirement to warn that this storm is gonna be a problem to be taken seriously.

Wilma passed directly over our house in '05. It had fallen from cat 5 to cat 2 so folks thought it would be less harmful, but it did quite a lot of damage. After the storm the experts concluded that the damage was caused by tornadoes that spun off from the hurricane.

Broward county was without supplies for almost 2 weeks.

I'm married to one, so I've heard this discussion quite a bit.

Hurricane forecasting has improved tremendously in the last 15 years, mostly due to computing power (being able to analyze volumes made up of progressively smaller increments). However with a big storm like this one it's still difficult to precisely locate the eye, and when it's that big there are many smaller effects which add up unpredictably.

"Locating the eye" varies with the weather, the hurricane flights, how close the satellite is to the storm, and whether it's day (visual) or night (IR).

If the storm gets over land then it's even more difficult to analyze.

Spouse mentioned that one nationally-known METOC legend (Max Mayfield) came out of retirement to warn that this storm is gonna be a problem to be taken seriously.

Our local weather guru just posted a blog article with data on this issue. Cliff Mass Weather Blog: A Potential Breakthrough in Hurricane Forecasting

Pretty impressive ability to predict the track IMO - but I guess if you are hunkered down in your home and a couple of miles E or W makes a big difference you might see it otherwise!

DD

I live on Long Island (right in the direct path of the storm). Fortunately we live inland. Yesterday I brought in everything from outside and I hope all of the neighbors did the same. We went shopping 2 days ago so no potential food or water problems. I have a battery operated radio buy you need earphones to listen to it, when I went around and tried to buy a regular battery operated radio all of the stores were sold it. Our only concern is the ancient oak tree next to the patio with branches high over the house.

Good luck to everyone that has to deal with this hurricane.

Can only batten down the hatchwes and wait it out.

Here in the southern suburbs of Baltimore, we are fortunate to be outside the worst path of the storm and on relative high ground. My main concern is power outages and the number of old trees near the house.

This infographic from the Washington Post was very helpful for me to know what kind of damage the wind might cause (Beaufort scale) for those of us forecast to get strong winds but less than hurricane force. For our area they are predicting sustained winds of Force 6 or 7 with gusts up to Force 10.

I have a battery operated radio buy you need earphones to listen to it, when I went around and tried to buy a regular battery operated radio all of the stores were sold it.
Several years ago I bought a radio for emergency use. It requires no batteries; there is an internal spring powered generator, just wind the crank up to tension the spring and the radio will operate for about 30 minutes. Never have to worry about batteries leaking and destroying the device. It also has a small LED light on it. Purchased from C. Crane Radio.

Thirty years in New Orleans equiped with weather radios, rechargeable batterys, bat operated small tv, sterno cans/camp stoves, etc.

2007 in MO kept none of that stuff and was totally unprepared for the ice storm in winter - after 4 days without power or heat decided to visit a female friend in Alabama.

I understand how one can get lax and fail to heed advice - til one experiences/survives the 'real thing'.

I wish everyone luck. And stay in the learning mode.

heh heh heh - :facepalm: Don't be blockheaded like I sometimes am.

Last edited:
Yesterday, we filled all the cars with gas and took several hundred in cash from the ATM. This morning, we brought in every loose item (porch furniture, welcome mats, potted plants) from outside and removed the two window air conditioners. I went up on the ladder and cleaned out all the gutters (they'll be overwhelmed, I know, but I thought I might give them a fighting chance). We froze old gallon milk jugs full of water and packed the freezer as full as it can get. We always have about 15 gallons of emergency bottled water on hand, as well as enough canned food to last several weeks. We've also got the gasoline fired camp stove, a Coleman lantern and hand cranked radio.

Since we were fully prepared by 10 am, except for shutting the windows when the rain starts, we decided to go to the movies, where we watched "The Help". After the movie we went to lunch and then drove around town to see the preparations. Some people have boarded up windows, but most have not. I am amazed at the number of boats that are still tied up in the harbor next to my house. There will be substantial losses from the storm surge.

The town just called on the reverse 911 system with mandatory evacuation orders for many low-lying areas. Fortunately, I'm not among them. We are actually about 25 feet above sea level (in the old days, they weren't dumb enough to build right on the beach).

The cats have figured out that something unusual is happening and are currently hiding under the bed. The young wife and I are just hanging out and waiting.

Tiger said:
. I have a battery operated radio buy you need earphones to listen to it, when I went around and tried to buy a regular battery operated radio all of the stores were sold out.

Don't forget, you have one in your car.

As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials have warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents are bracing themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA has advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports…the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together"

As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials have warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents are bracing themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA has advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports…the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Irene went ashore directly on top of a summer beach home we have used routinely for vacations. Locals report "House is fine. No flooding."

just posted this as my facebook status.... hehe

IN THE NEWS.....As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents braced themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together."

I am in southwest Nassau County, about 10 miles east-northeast of JFK Airport. It started raining earlier then stopped and has since resumed.

I live in an apartment building and am above street level but I can see the street from my window. If the water goes over the curb I will take notice of it. My car is inside the building's garage but it is slightly below street level. I may have to move it outside which I don't really want to do.

Rainy and blustery here in Northern Virginia. Hoping power stays on and trees don't come down. Isabel is still a bad memory for people around here. Paws crossed....

Last edited:
Thankfully, so far things have been relatively mild. The eye of the hurricane is just to the east of my current location and I still have power/internet along with most of my friends/family.

Seen some minor wind damage, but it looks like unless you're worried about falling trees or flooding, there's not a whole lot to worry about. That is, unless you're a weatherman.

Warning - link may contain brief male nudity.

Weather Channel Streaker - YouTube

Our nephew who works for Lowes in the Roanoke, VA area has been called to Richmond, VA to help out with the hurricane issues there. From what we're hearing, things are pretty hairy in Richmond. He's in a hotel with no power and water leaks - said flashlights are selling for $50 each. Got this news from his dad, DH's brother. Anyone here from Richmond?

Not from Richmond, but a facebook friend posted a picture of a big tree down at his house. They are getting big gusts of wind. I get Richmond locals on Dish, but I've been switching between CNN and the Weather Channel. I'm another 80 miles or so inland from Richmond so we've just been getting some gusts and spotty rain.

Back
Top Bottom